Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 25 Aug 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Car Hire Prices

Is it just me or do prices seem to have jumped up since last year?!

We got an intermediate car for just over £200 for 1 week last October with Alamo.

In May we got an intermediate SUV car hire through Virgin and paid an extra £220 to upgrade our insurance to Gold to give us an extra driver, free tank of fuel and all car seats for 9 nights.

I'm looking for May 2020 and the prices are coming out at £380/£390 for 7 nights ... I'm not sure if we just got a good deal the last couple of times or if this is really expensive?

This is via Alamo. I've sent off a quote request to Andy at Discount Florida Car Hire as I've heard good things. Searching online it doesn't bring up many options through the site though x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Yep exchange rate.
Old 25 Aug 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
pk67
Proud to wear my Ears

£380 is very expensive. I'm paying £375 for a Standard SUV with Alamo in November. My advice is to keep checking sites like Netflights, Rental Cars and Auto Europe (sign up for their newsletter).

I started off at £455 and kept checking to get better deals.
pk67 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Show loyalty to no 3rd party supplier. Book with whoever offers free cancellations and then every day check and rebook if possible.

I chop and change like a yo yo.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
pk67
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by pk67 View Post
£380 is very expensive. I'm paying £375 for a Standard SUV with Alamo in November. My advice is to keep checking sites like Netflights, Rental Cars and Auto Europe (sign up for their newsletter).

I started off at £455 and kept checking to get better deals.
Should have said that the £375 is for 14 days rental
pk67 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
shabba
Apprentice Imagineer

shabba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Keep looking at the various sites.

I'd booked an intermediate with Alamo through Auto Europe (I usually find these always the cheapest) for £245.
I kept checking especially with their discount letter.
Changed again & got a convertible for £368, which in my eyes is a cracking price.
shabba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shabba View Post
Keep looking at the various sites.

I'd booked an intermediate with Alamo through Auto Europe (I usually find these always the cheapest) for £245.
I kept checking especially with their discount letter.
Changed again & got a convertible for £368, which in my eyes is a cracking price.
I’ve just compared auto Europe prices with Virgin holiday prices for the dates I need and Virgin came in significantly cheaper like for like.👍🏻
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Prices are high just now as it's still peak "where are we going on holiday in 2020" season as people are still coming back from their 2019 holidays, once this period passes then the prices will start to drop off to a more realistic level
Old 26 Aug 19, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I generally get my best deals through Budget on their own site... but only after exhaustively checking all of the comparison sites and also individual hire company sites.

I have hired Budget from MCO, Holiday Inn (Universal), San Francisco, Dayton OH and other locations, always finding both their pick up and return services impeccable.

Having said that, my loyalty only extends to the company that provides me with the best deal next time...
San Francisco to San Luis Obispo and then Seattle Tacoma to Vancouver Int next Easter.. The drop at S L Obispo May restrict my choice of companies.. as will my taking a vehicle across the border from USA to Canada!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:59 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List