Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 20 Sep 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
The food looks nice and we were hoping to try it but it wasn't open in time for our previous trip. Sadly, I don't think we will for a while as along with M. Paul TIW is not accepted. It won't help their numbers as I'm sure I'm not the only TIW card holder that will choose elsewhere to eat.
I didn’t realise it was not available on the dining plan either until Collybird mentioned it as we are OOP this trip. It certainly helps to explain the very low numbers, I don’t think I saw anybody dining in the other rooms so that means there were six covers during our ninety minutes there. They need to rethink IMHO.

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
Some nice looking dishes at F&W, personally I wouldn't have picked the Quesito or the Korma but would have cheerfully scoffed the rest
For me these were the two least impressive. I picked the Quesito because it was the first stall I arrived at after deciding to snack around Epcot. I normally like a chicken korma, but this was a bit boring.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Great to read your Food and Wine thoughts Claudette, Germany is probably OH's favourite booth, we love that gratin. The ravioli is very high on my list of things to try.
The gratin and pasta were definitely my two dishes of the day.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post

Day 11: Mama Melrose lunch

The plans today involved Hollywood Studios until early afternoon, but it was such a nice day (by this I mean overcast and relatively cool ) we decided to spend a bit longer at the park and slot in a lunch. Mama Melrose availability best fitted in with our plans and I was pleased as it is somewhere I have been interested to try.

We arrived maybe ten minutes early, there were a number of people hanging around already and there was nowhere to sit and wait, but in any case we were the next table to be called, within thirty seconds, so maybe the others had been walk ups. We were taken to a teeny tiny table for two in the middle of the restaurant, I whispered to Nev as we approached something like “well I guess that is us” but I think the server heard he as she said she would try to find us a better table. We actually would have accepted the one we were taken to without question but in the event we got taken to a much larger and comfier table.

After a few minutes our server came to take drink orders and we said we would like to order everything as we had a Slinky Dog fast pass to get to, the server asked if we wanted starter and main together and we said no, it was not that much of a rush.

To start with we decided to share an appetiser of calamari. For main, Nev went for pasta and meatballs whilst I went for a vegetarian dish I have liked the sound of involving polenta, mushroom and cauliflower. Before these arrived we received bread to the table.

We got off to a great start with the bread which was served warm with olive oil and herbs for dipping. We had to stop ourselves from filling up on it. Shortly afterwards the calamari to share arrived looking good. Unfortunately it was not that good, the calamari was of many different thicknesses and much of it was crispy and over cooked. It felt like we were eating batter much of the time as the majority of the calamari was too thin. Also not even great batter, this batter must have been flour water and eggs, it had no flavour whatsoever, not even the simplest seasoning. Calamari is a very often ordered dish for us, I don’t know that this was the worst ever but it was definitely down in the bottom half.

With a decent gap, our mains arrived. Nev’s main was fine, the meatballs were moist and they were tasty. I tried them and would have been happy. My vegetarian meal was disappointing though on a couple of counts. The cauliflower was undercooked, it was rock hard, it also had no flavour, I am bewildered about this as I have stuck cauliflower in the oven after doing nothing to it and it comes out delicious, so how they removed this cauliflower of all its natural flavour I will never know; but it was undercooked and tasted of nothing. The polenta was not good either, it was gritty and lumpy. I know polenta is not easy to make but with some time and elbow grease it is possible to make it well, I think this lacked the required care.

I was very disappointed with this dining experience, I really liked it initially, great service and ambience and even great bread. But the rest did not hit the mark.

Edited at 07:43 AM.
Old 21 Sep 19, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post

Day 11: Docking Bay 7 and GE drinks

Today we went to SWGE for the first time having avoided it on previous HS trips. We firstly walked through it on our way to Mama Melrose from Toy Story Land and later we returned to look around properly.

On our first walk through we bought our thermal detonator Diet Coke, it hasn’t been drink yet but I am presuming it will be the same as any other Diet Coke. On our second wander through we started with a blue milk.

The land was really very quiet and we boarded Smugglers Run after no more than a ten minute wait at about 4pm as single riders; we were placed on the same ride too. We then popped our head into Docking Bay 7 and seeing as there were plenty of empty tables, we decided to share a drink and a snack - purely in the interests of research as we weren’t particularly hungry. We decided upon the Felucian Garden Spread and the Sour Sarlacc to drink.

The blue milk is hard to describe but it was lovely and refreshing. A bit pricey at $8.50 for an average size drink and that is why we didn’t also try the green milk being sold at the same stand.

We were surprised to see Docking Bay 7 so quiet, we loved the theming and thought it looked like a great dining venue, would be very happy to go back, hopefully when we are feeling hungrier. Our dish was very pleasant, the kofta are plant based, but if I had been told they were regular kofta I would not have questioned it, it was a very enjoyable dish. The drink is a mixture of limeade with raspberry and spicy mango. We both liked it bit didn’t finish as it was a touch sweet.

I am not sure we have time for another meal here on this trip, however if we did, I would enjoy another visit.
Old 22 Sep 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post

Day 12: Planet Hollywood lunch

Today we decided to have a day off from the parks and do some Disney Springs shopping. We had planned to go to the Polite Pig for lunch but at midday it was totally packed out, no tables free and long queues so we decided to make a reservation on the app and ended up at Planet Hollywood.

We arrived fifteen minutes early and could have been seated straight away, however we said we would like a drink at the bar first. We didn’t in the end though, we spotted three high tables close to the bar and decided to eat at one of these rather than the main restaurant which looked very busy and maybe a bit cramped.

I had picked Planet Hollywood out for another day (now changed) so I knew what I was having, the bacon mac n cheese burger. Nev decided to try the “Bird is the word” signature chicken sandwich, both served with triple fries, triple meaning three different types of fries.

I have noticed that Planet Hollywood can get mixed reviews, I watched an old Tim Tracker vlog on it a little while back and he was not complimentary. However I liked the look of the food and was not dissuaded.

And it was a delight! I thought I would love the burger with mac n cheese and I was right. I also tried a bit of Nev’s chicken sandwich and I thought that was equally delicious, he was also very happy although he thought the slaw was a bit dry. The portions are very large and I do not think many people could manage an appetiser as well.

The triple chips are supposed to comprise regular fries, curly fries and waffle fries. I was really looking forward to the waffle fries but we only got one of the waffle type between us. This was my only disappointment of the day. We would definitely go back.

Old 22 Sep 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh my word - the planet Hollywood food looks amazing... your burger is making me salivate! Shame you didn’t get your Polite Pig fix but it looks like you had an excellent meal in its place 😋
Old 22 Sep 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Wow those burgers look amazing! That poor lonely waffle fry - who got to eat it?
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow... that burger is definitely my kind of menu choice!
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Such a pity about Mama Melrose, it is a favourite of mine. Your dish looked very nice too, sad that it didn't live up to expectations.

We liked Planet Hollywood too, and your experience just proves that if you fancy somewhere you should try it for yourself.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Oooo mac n cheese burger was my choice for the booking we had to cancel when I hurt my ankle. It looks fantastic. I’m glad to see a good review of planet Hollywood.

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Really interesting to see a review of Takumi-Tei. As a restaurant it appeals to me but unless it goes on the dining plan it’s unlikely we’ll visit next trip.

The set up at Geyser point is so confusing - when we went, for quick service they were directing you to the window, but there was no seating for that; we only wanted (a few rounds) of alcoholic drinks so were seated in the bar area.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List