Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 4 Sep 06, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post

Where's the Mouse? Day 8 - In Anaheim

Day 8 Saturday 2nd September.More - Disney and Irvine!

Today was our early entry day for Disney and also the Saturday of the Labor Day weekend, so we knew the parks would be busy.

We were up just after 7 and had the buffett breakfast (which was delicious) at the Hilton before boarding the resort bus to the parks. Magic Kingdom was open at 8 for guests with early entry tickets. California Adventure was opening at 10. Our intention was to do both parks.
We were at the gate for 8am (the correct park at that!) and were soon walking up Main Street USA bound for Tomorrowland.

I had decided I would go on Space Mountain after all,despite chickening out yesterday. We got there and there was no wait at all and no opportunity to change my mind again. I could hear the screams but Bill assured me there was no chicken exit and I would just have to ride it. My knees shook and my mouth was dry as we boarded the rocket. We sat side by side rather than one rider behind the other as is the case in Orlando. Bill said this was good for him as only one of his ears would be assualted by my screaming rather than two, as is the norm in Orlando. We were in the front row of the car and as it took off I hung on really tightly and braced myself waiting for the steep drops. Well I waited... and waited... all the time being hurled around in this rocket, and... there were no steep drops at all and I didn’t scream at all. The ride was really rough and we were well shaken about. There was 60’s style space music playing throughout the ride, which I thought added something to it. I don’t remember any music on the florida version (maybe because I only hear myself screaming). So that was it I’d braved the Anaheim Space Mountain. Whatever next? Pteranandon Flyers at IOA? Only if Dawn joins me again 
From there we walked around Tomorrowland, before walking back towards Main Street to enter Frontierland as we wanted to do the Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion again.

We had about 20 minutes to wait before Frontierland opened and we could see the crowds building up behind the rope drop on Main Street. At 9 on the dot the rope was dropped and all these crazy people began running towards Frontierland. We strolled through and found the Jungle Cruise was still closed (it would open in 10 minutes said the CM).So we strolled to the Haunted Mansion, passing huge lines for Indiana Jones as we did so. Haunted Mansion was a walk on and we enjoyed it as much as the day before, spotting things we’d missed the day before. We then went on Pirates as the line was not very long and again enjoyed this very much. JaneSi has asked if the drop on here is steeper than the Orlando one, and yes it is and there are two of them. The ride lasts far longer than the one in Orlando and IMHO is all the better for it. We thought the part where the Pirates are playing flute like instruments could have been from Little Britain where the mad Scottish Laird plays that innane tune, and then says “maybe I will and maybe I won’t”. Walking from Pirates we spotted a place selling Dole Whips. Neither of us have tried them before, but confident that all those on this board who say they are lovely are telling the truth we bought one each. And the verdict was ... yes they are delicious, thanks to all who have mentioned and recommended them. After our new found Dole whip delicacy, it was back to my new favourite the Jungle Cruise which again was hilarious.

By this time it was getting on for 10 so we crossed over to California Adventure for park opening there.

We loved the way the parks are so close together (even if we did end up in the wrong one the first day). We made straight for Soarin’ and this time were in the top row so we didn’t see the feet of those above us. Walking back from Soarin’ brought us past the Grizzly Bear river run, which is a water rapids ride. Now Bill is usually as likely to go on a water ride as I am to do the Hulk so I was amazed when he suggested we ride it.

I immediately agreed and this was a brilliant ride. Some of the drops were quite steep and fast, great fun and yes we did get wet, but hey we were in California and would soon dry out. The entrance to the Disney’s Grand Californian hotel was just beside the rapids ride so we had our hands stamped and went for a nosey around the hotel. It was very busy (well it was the Labor day weekend) and we could see loads of people were checking in. We looked around the lobby and the shop and then went back out. It was quite dark in the lobby which was a pity, I thought it would be nice and bright like the Grand Floridian. Still no doubt it would be a lovely place to stay. We did not take our camera with us so unfortunately have no photographs. No doubt a google search will bring lots of pictures though.

We went back into the park and made our way round to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area as we really wanted to see Aladdin. Now if you ever go to Anaheim you must go and see this show. It was brilliant, so funny and there was not a single seat left in the house. It was after 1 by now and the park was getting very busy, and the temperature was heading towards the unbearable setting so we headed for the resort bus to take us back to the Hilton.

We had already decided to go out somewhere in the afternoon but really did not know where to go. We didn’t want to drive far as the holiday traffic meant the roads were even busier than usual. I’d been looking through some visitor magazines the night before and noticed a place called Irvine was only 8 miles away and had some decent shops. There were other places as well but we settled on Irvine for the simple reason that Bill was born in Irvine in Scotland, so we were drawn to it.

We set off for Irvine and were there in about 15 minutes. We parked in large multi storey car park and headed for the shops. It was a lovely area, very clean and reminded us of the Mall of Millenia. Then to our intense pleasure we saw something that reminded us very much of the Mall of Millenia. This was it – oh joy!

We galloped laughing towards this unexpected vision and once seated Bill ordered a grilled cheese sandwich and fries and I had my favourite from here, chicken and biscuits. We then shared a piece of Key Lime Cheesecake, mmmm! Suitably stuffed we set off to look at the shops, but all we bought was a magazine.

Still we had enjoyed our unexpected visit ot one of our favourite restaurants. We then returned to the hotel, where Bill fell asleep and I wrote a trippie. After a couple of hours we went out again, to DTD for our last walk around it before going back to Vegas the next day. We watched the fireworks from DTD and they were spectacular as ever. We went back to the hotel at 10.30 after another lovely day in California.

Tomorrow we head back to Vegas.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 06, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I panicked when I got up this morning early and there was no report... I was obviously just too early lol.

Jools there is more chance of me going on space mountain with you than that other one that terrifies me!

Sounds like you's have had a great time with the added bonus of a visit to the Cheescake Factory... I'm going to have to go and have a cooked breakfast now after the visions you's have created,

Have fun,

Dawn
Old 4 Sep 06, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
dcmax
Imagineer

Another great TR and lovely photos for a grey morning here in the NW. Those q's for Indiana jones really do get quite insane,sometimes its hard to work out which is the q for the ride and which is the fastpass.

Glad you enjoyed the parks we loved them, its my favourite MK and i loved CAdventure for being a little different,(it does come in for a lot of stick for being undisney ish sometimes but I disagree) but then we rode California Screaming constantly. Its also great having the parks so close as you say for the beautiful views. The top of ToT gives you peeks all over the MK and faces towards main street station.

Glad you loved Alladin ,the theatre itself is quite fantastic as long as your not scared of heights and seated in the Gods (yikes).

Danny and Jackie

Danny and Jackies Christmas 04 Trip Reports

Danny and Jackies Christmas 04 Restaurant Reports

July 91 WDW...July 92 DL CA...July 93 DL CA...Feb 97 DLP...Feb 02 DLP...Xmas 03 DLP...Xmas 04 WDW...Oct 05 WDW...Xmas 05 DL CA...March 06 DLP ...Nov 06 WDW... Xmas 06 DLP... Apr 07 WDW... Nov 07 DL CA ...Dec/Jan 07/08 DLP... Mar 08 WDW.. Jun 08 DLP.. Mar 09 DL HK
dcmax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 06, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post

Another good day! I asked about the drop only because I remember there being a bigger drop. when we met some CM's at Fantasmic one night, they said it was to do with the water table in Orlando. But I don't remember there being 2 drops!
Old 4 Sep 06, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Sounds like you are both having a great time, lovely pics
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 06, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post

Another great report, and some fantastic photos thanks for sharing

Jools
Old 5 Sep 06, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post

What a bonus finding a Cheesecake Factory in Irvine! Another great day.
Old 5 Sep 06, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Thanks for the reports Jools and Bill.

Sounds like you are having a ball!

Bob
Old 7 Sep 06, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Karen Mouse
Imagineer

Karen Mouse's Reviews
I'm really enjoying this trippie so far

Havent been to California for years so the photos are lovely reminders of the castle and a great insight to the "new" park too.

Loving the food too - cheesecake - yum
Old 11 Sep 06, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
That mall looks lovely I want to go back to California looking at your photos, we loved the parks there