Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Sep 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
ABTA and complaints

I am currently in disput with Jet2 Holidays. In short I had booked and paid for a holiday last April to Naples area. It was an all inclusive holiday.

Last December Jet2 contacted and said they were no longer using the hotel in Naples and therefore I should choose another one. There were no other all inclusive holidays and the price for half board was more expensive than the one I had already booked.

I have no choice but to cancel the holiday as they were unable to provide it. I had book the holiday with £100 discount per passenger. They did state they would honour discount and throw in free seat booking and meals on the plane if I booked another holiday before end of this year. However only the seats and meals were in writing.

Anyway another holiday found a few weeks ago for next year. They agreed to honour seats and meals but refused to honour the £100 per person discount. I complained in writing they rejected my claim

I complained to ABTA. ABTA has just emailed their process after getting all my paperwork.

First stage is for them to write to company asking their view. If they refuse to budge I then have to pay £108 plus vat to ABTA for them to send it out to an indepenent arbitration.

Therefore I'm expected to gamble £130 roughly to get a credit of £300.

Given I don't have paperwork for it I'm on a loser.

Edited at 11:53 AM.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

If they rejected your claim direct and if they reject via ABTA, then I would give up and take your business elsewhere. Your going to start spending money chasing very little gain.

Unfortunately you have no proof and they seem to be sticking to this. If you want a free (or even pay you money) approach, then go to the DailyMail. Even threatening Jet2 with this option may push them. Warning though, you and your family will need a sad faced photo.

Honestly though, do you really want to give money to a operator that is treating you like this?

Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
Therefore I'm expected to gamble £130 roughly to get a credit of £300.

Given I don't have paperwork for it I'm on a loser.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I do feel for you and it is very disappointing, however...

Jet2 is under no legal obligation to honour the discount on the previous holiday that you cancelled. They did not have to throw in the free seat booking and meals on the new flight either, so these are a bonus. You are therefore getting more than you are legally obliged to get from Jet2.

ABTA are merely a guide and go-between that can help settle disputes. They do provide some free initial guidance but it is limited. They do not provide financial protection beyond that offered by law. ABTA's arbitration (dispute resolution) scheme is generally faster, less formal and costs less than instructing solicitors. This scheme is described on their website here. As you say, if you lose stage 2 of ABTA's Alternative Dispute Resolution then you have to pay the registration fee of £108 plus VAT. This goes to Jet2, not to ABTA.

Please note that you can just do Stage 1 of ABTA's dispute resolution scheme and see where that gets you. This may well result in Jet2 agreeing to honour the discount you previously had. You certainly wouldn't lose anything from trying this. If that fails then you can either: (a) pursue Stage 2 of the ABTA's scheme, (b) take Jet2 to court yourself, or (c) go no further.

Personally, I would try stage 1 of the process and see where it gets you. If that doesn't work then I'd chalk it up to experience and either go elsewhere or take Jet2's offer of the free seats and meals. Then try to enjoy your much-needed holiday.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 01:57 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickey's Magic
Excited about Disney

Mickey's Magic's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I would recommend maybe trying a polite email to the ceo sheapy@jet2.com detailing the inconvenience etc. Where as I am fully aware these are unlikely to be read by the CEO themselves you do tend to get a little more flexibility in their resolution in my experience.

I've tried the ABTA complaints process previously and got nowhere. The trouble is that the tour operators know that to get a proper independent resolution you have to pay so they are generally happy to hold off until that point.

Your other option of course is to try the Small Claims court but without it in writing I'm not sure how far you will get.

DLP: 1997 (Cheyenne), 2013 (Offsite; Dream Castle), 2017 (Newport Bay), 2019 (Sequoia Lodge)
Mickey's Magic is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

As others have stated, Jet2’s only legal obligation is to refund your money - which they have done. ABTA will only focus on whether the company has complied with legislation or its t&c’s. Consequently, I think the cost of going to arbitration would be a waste of money.
Your best bet imo is to keep up the pressure on Jet2 - it’s disappointing that they have reneged on their verbal offer.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post

This is poor customer service. But I agree that Jet2 are not legally obliged to give you a discount and I wouldn’t waste my money on pursuing this.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List