Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 15 May 13, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
WickedPlans
Imagineer

WickedPlans's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
Never have we ever been treated with anything other than kind regard during all our trips to AT, and we have been many times.
Neither have we ever had anyone ask about the wristbands. There are always lots of people issued the bands anyway, they're quite common. Unless wearing a tshirt (not overly common with our weather) then they can't even be seen.
They had a rule that said only one red wristband rider on the ride at a time, so we were told we could not ride anything as a family. This was a matter of Health and Safety. We were also told we were not allowed to ride at the back - again H&S.
It was a warm day and the bands were very obvious. Both kids were asked by random people what their disability was.

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Re wristbands i am surprised anyone ever comments on it.

When we go to WDW in Feb my kids (and us for that matter) wear wristbands that we have to wear to access the pits at Daytona so for 5 or 6 days we usually wear a neon orange or pink band.
These are obviously visible to all and something we wear in all parks but i've never heard anyone say another about them or give us funny looks.
That is completely different! These are red wristbands that everyone with a disability has to wear. Carers wear a blue wrist band. No-one else has a wristband. The kids were asked about it by people who clearly knew that the wrist band meant they were disabled.
Easter 2010, Florida Pines Villa - Avoiding Disasters, Lessons in Autism: Trip Report
Easter 2012, Sunset Lakes Villa - No Rest for the Wicked: Trip Report
WickedPlans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 13, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WickedPlans View Post
They had a rule that said only one red wristband rider on the ride at a time, so we were told we could not ride anything as a family. This was a matter of Health and Safety. We were also told we were not allowed to ride at the back - again H&S.
It was a warm day and the bands were very obvious. Both kids were asked by random people what their disability was.

That is completely different! These are red wristbands that everyone with a disability has to wear. Carers wear a blue wrist band. No-one else has a wristband. The kids were asked about it by people who clearly knew that the wrist band meant they were disabled.
Yes, only one wristband rider is allowed on a ride at one time, but I don't see that as a problem - unless you have two in your party?

I really find it unbelievable that anyone would have the cheek to ask about the wristbands. I'm not implying that you are lying of course, obviously the park had some very rude people in it the day you were there. We have been numerous times, as annual pass holders and have never been asked. If someone asked and I thought that they clearly knew (how do you know that they knew btw?), then I wouldn't even dignify them with a reply tbh.

I think we've only been a couple of times when my son wore a tshirt, but we're not ashamed that he has a disability. Mostly, especially at Disney parks rather than UK parks, we get the odd stare and disapproving look when joining a ride from the exit, as my son's disability isn't obvious (ie no wheelchair, as some think that only this quantifies being disabled). I really don't find any issue with the wristband at all.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 13, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
Yes, only one wristband rider is allowed on a ride at one time, but I don't see that as a problem - unless you have two in your party?

I really find it unbelievable that anyone would have the cheek to ask about the wristbands. I'm not implying that you are lying of course, obviously the park had some very rude people in it the day you were there. We have been numerous times, as annual pass holders and have never been asked. If someone asked and I thought that they clearly knew (how do you know that they knew btw?), then I wouldn't even dignify them with a reply tbh.

I think we've only been a couple of times when my son wore a tshirt, but we're not ashamed that he has a disability. Mostly, especially at Disney parks rather than UK parks, we get the odd stare and disapproving look when joining a ride from the exit, as my son's disability isn't obvious (ie no wheelchair, as some think that only this quantifies being disabled). I really don't find any issue with the wristband at all.
That's what i was trying to say about wristbands...how do people other than those wearing them know that they are for?

I know now what the colour's mean at Alton Towers . And i'm off there in the summer but i wouldn't have had a clue otherwise..In the case of your son Lisa and both of WP's kids had i noticed them i would probably have assumed they were part of a large group.

I did have a disabled dad who on the outside looked perfectly healthy...but never once did anyone ask him why he needed to use the disabled loo's /have a wheelchair sometimes etc etc. I find it bizarre anyone would ask those kind of questions.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 13, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post

I think anyone who abuses a disabled facility is appalling. What the anger raised by this points out, is how much disabled people rely on the help they get.
I have a blue badge, and it really infuriates me to see blue badge abuse. However, in the theme parks, because I'm sitting in a mobility scooter, I'm more than happy to wait my turn. I can't stand for long, you see.
Sadly, some people are just mindlessly selfish, and actually think it's clever to abuse the system.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 13, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsbigbeak
Imagineer

Think this is disgusting

1st time POFQ Aug/Sep 2012- 2 weeks -2nd time Rosen inn,POFQ 3 weeks-3rd time NYC,Canada,DC,Rosen inn, Coranado springs 5weeks-4th time Vegas,San Fransisco,Hollywood, Anaheim & NYC 3 weeks - 5th time,Rosen inn international,Disney all star music resort 3 weeks
mrsbigbeak is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 13, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
That's what i was trying to say about wristbands...how do people other than those wearing them know that they are for?

I know now what the colour's mean at Alton Towers . And i'm off there in the summer but i wouldn't have had a clue otherwise..In the case of your son Lisa and both of WP's kids had i noticed them i would probably have assumed they were part of a large group.

I did have a disabled dad who on the outside looked perfectly healthy...but never once did anyone ask him why he needed to use the disabled loo's /have a wheelchair sometimes etc etc. I find it bizarre anyone would ask those kind of questions.
Exactly! I wouldn't even notice the wristbands if we didn't use them ourselves. I like to 'check' people have them when queuing at the disabled entrance/exit to make sure they're genuine and not trying it on

I'm generally too busy enjoying myself/keeping an eye on my own family to notice anyone else, never mind commenting on a wristband - very bizarre!
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 13, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post

If people are wearing wristbands I don't know what they're for and couldn't care enough to ask or check up. So long as I don't see able bodied people taking advantage of the disabled bays and loo's then I keep my nose out. BUT if I do see abuse going on then I stick it right in right where it's not wanted, because I'm gobby like that

Take today for instance the car park is full of spots for the able bodied and only TWO for the disabled. And yup you guessed it the two spots I can use are filled up by able bodied drivers, how do I know that because they were sitting in their cars waiting for their other halfs coming out of the bank. So I park right behind them and go into the bank myself.

Yes I got yelled at when I came out but I just smiled sweetly and said "Stupidity is NOT a disability, even if you think it is in your case"

One girl says "I will bash your car next time" to which I replied "Oh please do, it's a disabled car so no cost to me to get it repaired but you will have to pay for your repairs and get a criminal record in the process... so go for it"

It actually is my own car and not a mobility car but she wasn't to know that.

Edited at 01:05 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 13, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by neatfrk View Post
Simply cut it from 'allowed to bring 6 people along' to 'allowed to bring 1 person with them' and problem solved.
Sorry not read all the thread yet but came across this quote on page 3 and as a family of 4 and my eldest son who is 8 in a wheelchair this would make our holiday a bad experience, it would become a holiday of having to split into one adult and one child.

So far this story absolutley disgusts me. I was under the impression that the GAC does not really cut the queue times? I think it is disgusting on both the families abusing the system and the disabled person is so in the wrong here abusing the very system that is there to help and asisst.

This makes me so angry :angry:

How could you morally stand there in a queue having 'bought' a disabled person in the same queue as a child with say cystic fibrosis or a life limiting condition, to do that and have no guilt, then that is disgusting. I hope karma comes to these people. I could never do anything like that.

And in no uncertain terms would I use the GAC card for anybody else other than my son to whom it is intended for. I wouldn't use it for my youngest son if he wanted to go on a ride that his older brother didn't want to go on.

Just my 2 cents worth, will read the thread now.
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 13, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Macmac
Imagineer

This video sums up much of the discussion on this thread.

Disclaimer - not intended to be offensive towards anyone.
Macmac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 13, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread