Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 30 Nov 09, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post

swimming in the pacific

hi im booked for california road trip next sept was wondering what the beaches were like for swimming seems to be a lot of surfing going on is it safe to swim i.e tides sharks sealions that sort of thing is the sea warm enough need as much info as poss before deciding exactly where to visit thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 09, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I think you may have to narrow it down a bit. Plenty of places to swim, plenty where it's not advisable. If i had my choice it would be in front of the Del Coronado Hotel at San Diego, lovely! Sealions? Whats wrong with Sealions?
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 09, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

I guess it depends what part of California you are visiting. We went this september and spent a day at Newport Beach and it was a bit chilly in the sea but we were in there fine, the waves weren't much of a problem and we swam wityh no problems (well splashed about ) also got in the sea at Santa Monica beach twice, again a bit chilly but no problems swimming (splashing) about
Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 09, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post

nothing wrong with sealions not sure i want to swims with them though will be starting in san fran prob to cold in the sea there i hoping it warms as we go south just want to know its safe to swim really
Old 30 Nov 09, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
There is a beach in front of ghirardelli square where people swim. Looked a bit cold though!
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 09, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
cloud
Imagineer

cloud's Reviews
beaches around l a are lovely and the sea is really warm, try santa monica beach its a lovely place

Seattle December 2022
cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 09, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Can only speak for San Diego and we went to Coranado Beach, Pacific Beach and our most fav, Mission Beach. We spent a lot of time in the sea , and I would say it is not ideal for swimming but we done a lot of wave jumping and body boarding. There are a lot of waves and the current is fairly strong but as long as you dont go out too far you will be ok . We didnt see any sharks but did see some dolphins about 100ft out and they caused no problem to anyone
Old 3 Dec 09, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
alijolly
Imagineer

A lot of the beaches have areas marked out for swimming/boarding/surfing and also they tend to have a really good lifeguard service, the tides can be very strong we had a couple of days last summer where no swimming was allowed but we swam/boarded/jumped the waves pretty much every day. The surf can be fantastic!
alijolly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 09, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread