Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 May 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
vwcr
Excited about Disney

Injury while in Orlando?

Hi Guys got back from orlando just over a week ago, while out there i was trying a pair of sun glasses on in Saks off 5th at the premium outlets. i didn't see that the price tag had been put on the glasses right next to the lens over the nose next to the security tag and as i tried them on it flicked round and went under my eye lid.

At the time i couldn't see out the eye so went to the restrooms to wash out my eye, we did stop at walgreens on the way home they had a look and sold me some eye wash and a patch.

The next day i couldn't open my eye at all and i went to a local health center to been seen by a doctor. I was told i had scratched my eye and prescribed antibiotic and pain killer drops and vision would return 3 to 4 days. I managed to get through the second week but it ruined my holiday and my vision never returned as i was told.

When i got home i booked in to the doctor and was straight away booked in to the casualty eye doctor at the hospital. Ive been on eye drops for a week already and have another week to go. Im now near 3 weeks ago since this injury and my eye sight has improved but im not back to how i was.

Does anyone know if i have any ground to a claim and who to use? Rule of the thumb folks always check for labels on glasses.

We did go back at the end of the holiday and tell them and they said they come in to store like that but when we walked over to the stand there was only 2 pairs which has the label on the eye area and all the others it was on the side.
vwcr is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
judy22
Apprentice Imagineer

Firstly Im very sorry to hear you have hurt your eye but pleased its healing slowly. However, a claim? I have never understood this 'claim' culture. If you had lost an eye I could see that compensation would be applicable. But this sort of thing can happen anywhere at any time. If you had injured your eye, for example, in your own garden bending over and getting a bean pole in it (which I have) who would you claim against then? Sorry not the answer you wanted.
judy22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
vwcr
Excited about Disney

Im not one to claim usually, but things like this could happen to someone else again.

I could tell when we told them in the shop nothing was going to get done about it.

I could have lost my eye sight in one eye all because someone put the label in the wrong place.
vwcr is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Honestly, I wouldn’t claim. Sounds like a freak accident. I would maybe write to the store to let them know the injury occurred and maybe their tagging needs to be moved.
An eye injury is frustrating. I managed to tear my cornea after rubbing my eye just after I had woken up. Ended up in A&E and was given drops. My sight has mostly recovered although I don’t think it ever will be back to what it was.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Whilst I am another who feels the entire country has had an epidemic of compensationitis where the only cure for pain and suffering seems to be a cheque, the fact remains that where any organisation has been clearly negligent and caused real loss whether financial or physical then they bear a responsibility. You would have to show however they were negligent and that their actions or failure to act was the direct cause of what happened. Burden of proof lies with you.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
vwcr
Excited about Disney

I think the most annoying thing for me was i saved up for a year to go on holiday for it to be wrecked by a simple tag that someone should have put on the side of some glasses.
Old 21 May 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

But u could have seen it?
I think its on you as you didnt pay attention.
Not as if they had invisible tags is it 🙋
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Sorry but another one who wouldn't claim. I would blame myself for not looking before I put something on my face!
If you are worried about it happening to someone else, just write to them and tell them. How will them paying you compensation stop it happening to someone else? Hundreds of others have possibly tried those glasses on without injury!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Hillbilly
Gone all Goofy

I feel your pain. I did exactly the same a few years ago in MCO. I was waiting for my husband and to kill time, tried on a pair of sunglasses and managed to slice my eye near my iris with the cardboard label. There was blood all over my top. Tried to find a first aider in MCO, but they didn't exist. Couldn't even get any eye drops! The airport gave me two options, leave the airport and go to a hospital/walk-in centre or catch my flight home. I came home. Went to the doctors and he referred me to the hospital, in a couple of weeks I was back to normal. Basically, it was my own stupid fault for not paying attention. I have found that the labels on glasses are often attached to the nose piece so I'm very careful now.
Hillbilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Sorry but I believe that you must take responsibility for this situation. Besides, if you had reported it straight away the details may well have been recorded by the shop as a health and safety incident. As it is how are you going to prove that it happened in one particular shop?