Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 19 Jun 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
HEY MICKEY YOU'RE SO FINE,YOU'RE SO FINE YOU BLOW MY..MONEY. MAY 2019 Day 6 Move to Universal!

HEY MICKEY YOU'RE SO FINE,YOU'RE SO FINE YOU BLOW MY..MONEY. MAY 2019 Day 6 Move to Universal!

HEY MICKEY YOU'RE SO FINE,YOU'RE SO FINE YOU BLOW MY..MONEY. MAY 2019 Index

Sorry this is a long one!

So we were leaving Disney today. I felt really disappointed to be going. This was by far the shortest amount of time we’d spent onsite and what made it worse than I think we had found the perfect resort for us as a family. I think we all loved Port Orleans French Quarter. The small resort making things so accessible and close was something we loved. This will be my go to resort at Disney unless changes are made to free dining.

The one positive was that we were moving to Universal and the Royal Pacific Resort. I personally loved our time there on our last trip so was very much looking forward to our stay there this time.

I was up early and showered. I wanted to wheel the cases over to the car and get that all sorted. It was very quiet as it was so early and I’m sure I annoyed a few people with the noise of the rolling cases. A rabbit appeared out of nowhere and stood looking at me totally not bothered by me walking so close by to it.

It was a bit of trek over to the car and I had to do 3 trips making sure I had what we needed for the next couple of days in handy place. The plan was to valet park leaving most of the luggage in the car as we were only at the Royal Pacific for 2 nights. We didn’t really need to bring everything with us. By the time I got back I was a big sweaty mess. Any sensible person wouldn’t have the their shower first

I headed to the food court to grab some pastries with our four remains snack credits. It would be a little while before we ate so we wanted a snack. The others were all up and ready after I’d done both these things and we were out the door ready for Universal. We all felt really sad to be leaving French Quarter but excited for the next bit of the holiday. We still had plenty of time to come at the Disney parks later in the holiday. I made sure we took our Magic Bands off and left them in the glovebox so we didn’t lose them!

The cars sat nav was saying it was a 20 minute drive. The I4 was fairly busy at this time of day but it was all pretty manageable. We actually did a fair amount on the I4 over the holiday and didn’t have any issues.

Soon enough we arrived in the Universal Area and headed in towards the Royal Pacific Resort. It’s amazing to me how familiar all the roads seemed again. We parked up and did valet. It’s a few dollars more but a little easier. We wouldn’t be using the car until we left. We made sure we had everything we needed, me in particular as I have a habit of leaving stuff behind when I get flustered.

I did receive an email warning me of works going in on the lobby but it was barely noticeable.

It’s a lovely looking resort and we were pleased to be back. The girls and Kelly took a seat while I went and checked us in. To check in you need a credit card and a photo ID. I used my UK driving licence. Our passports were locked in a case we had with us. The check in was quick but our room wasn’t ready so early on. This was expected. They took a phone number to text when it was. We were given room keys though so we could use early entry or express passes at the parks.

Next to Bell services to leave our luggage. There were quite a few people ahead of us leaving luggage. The person checking our bags took a mental note of the bags and gave me a ticket. The luggage was left where it was which concerned Kelly. I told her to stop worrying. It would be fine and it was.

Next job was to head to the ticket desk to exchange a voucher I had for the Universal Dining Plan into actual tickets. This is something I always get as I like to have things pre payed where possible. It was very quick to do. I was now all set, checked in, bags done, Dining Plan acquired.

In the meantime the girls had gotten new lanyards to hold their express passes in. I decided to join them and I got myself a new ET lanyard. I dished out the express passes. This caused arguments when Evie saw she had the Cat in the Hat in hers and Lily had ET. They both wanted different. They just had to suck it up. I got Hulk on mine

So the plan for today is something I chopped and changed my mind a lot over. I was very keen to make the most of the express passes but also wanted to do early entry at Volcano Bay. Early entry wouldn’t have worked for us over the next two days so I planned to do it today. Kelly doesn’t really like the water parks so I thought we’d do Volcano Bay early entry today but only for 2 to 3 hours maximum.

We needed to get the bus to Volcano Bay from the hotel. I was given a map at check in so we headed in the direction I thought was correct. To be honest it wasn’t amazingly clear. We did find the right place we thought, there were signs about bus transportation but nothing there mentioned Volcano Bay. An empty bus pulled up that didn’t say Volcano Bay on the front. I asked the driver and he told us to get in. He put a sign on the bus saying Volcano Bay and drove us there. So I’m still unsure if he was doing us a favour or if we were on the right bus!

It only took a couple of minutes and we were soon pulling up at Volcano Bay for the first time. We had tickets for our last trip but we could only go on the second day after it had opened. I had heard horror stories of all the queues on the opening day so we decided against going.

So we were all really looking forward to seeing what Volcano Bay was going to be like. We were however stupidly early and had at least 30 minutes to wait before opening. We did the bag check fairly quickly and made our way to the entrance. I was surprised to see a few people already there waiting to get in. As with always whenever we have to wait the girls started to argue amongst themselves and complain about having to wait. By the time 9 am came around there was quite a few people waiting to get in but not as many as I expected. Unfortunately at 9 am they were having technical difficulties and no one was able to get in. This did take a few minutes to sort which was a little bit annoying. We were given our Tapu Tapu bands as we entered.

Once in, the aim was to get a spot on the main beach facing the volcano with some shade. We did this comfortably and we got a really good spot. Kelly wasn’t worried about going on any of the slides so me and the girls headed off to see what we could ride first of all. We left all our stuff with Kelly with the aim of getting a locker later on.

To be honest I didn’t really have a clue where we were heading and I wish I had researched it a little bit more! From the beach we turned left and headed towards somewhere that look like they would be slides! The first thing that we came to was the Ohyah & Ohno Drop Slides. I had no idea what these were but they looked okay so we went on. I went first so I could be at the bottom when the girls came out. There was absolutely no queue at the top and the lifeguard asked us if we knew how the ride worked. He mentioned about crossing arms and legs and being prepared for the drop at the end. This set a little alarm off in my mind thinking what does he mean by “drop”? I soon found this out as when I got towards the bottom of the slide I could see the slide had a drop down into the water of about a metre. Now this is something that wouldn’t bother me but my concern was thinking what about the girls! I quickly got out of the water and waited for Evie to come down terrified about her reaction! She came flying out, disappeared into the water and eventually popped up again. She seemed fine though luckily. She said she liked it but wasn’t expecting the drop. That makes two of us. My attention quickly turned to Lily as she isn’t a strong a swimmer as Evie. She soon came flying out and was all good. They both enjoyed the ride and wanted to go on the other side that had a slightly higher drop. I was a little unsure but we went for it and again both of them really enjoyed the slide but I don’t think they do the higher drop one again!

To the side of the volcano was all closed off for some reason so we had to walk round back past Kelly waving to her relaxing on the sunbed before finding something else to go on. The next thing we found was the Ika Moana Raft Slide and the Honu Raft Slide. I confess to not knowing which one is which but we went on the tamer one of the two. As we were walking towards the stairs of the ride I smashed my little toe on one of the little curbs on the pathways. It absolutely hurt like hell and I was pretty sure I had really hurt it. I apologised to the girls in case I had sworn when I did it but they said I didn’t. I hobbled on up to the ride. We all really enjoyed it but my little toe was giving me grief. Giving me just as much grief was Evie who was being over fussy about her Tapu Tapu. She kept taking it on and off and it was starting to grate on my nerves.

Gross I know but I was pretty sure I broke it. I knew there was nothing I could do. Writing this a month later it’s pretty sore still.

We went back on and did the ride again and then decided to head in a different direction to see what was what before the rest of the park opened properly at 10 am. On the walk Evie was still playing up about her Tapu Tapu and took it off again. I lost my temper as I’d just put it back on her. She stormed off back into the direction of where Kelly was refusing to go on anything else. Coupled with the pain coming from my toe this annoyed me somewhat! We found Kelly and explained what happened and Evie just sat on a sunbed in a strop. I decided to go and find a locker to put all our stuff in for the rest of the time we’d be there. It was at the locker I turned round to see Kelly calling after me as I’d taken everything we needed to stay with us at the sun bed. D’oh.

Locker prices were quite expensive and I had to use a credit card to do it although I think if you know how you can get it all linked into your Tapu Tapu. Once sorted we headed back to our loungers. Evie was still in a massive huff and refused to come into the wave pool. The rest of of us left her too it. With Evie it’s best to just leave her. We headed into the wave pool. I really liked it in there. We had an enjoyable half an hour or so every now then trying to coax Evie to come in. Eventually she did.

So we then decided to head over to the lazy river known as Kopiko Wai Winding River. We again had no idea where it was so we guessed. We eventually found it and went round a couple of times before getting out to locate the quicker “lazy” river called TeAwa, The Fearless River. In the end I had to ask someone where it was. We found it, got life jackets and headed in. It was fun and we had a good time. Looking back now having been to Aquatica again, this one at Volcano Bay was definitely quicker but if felt more closed in than Roa’s Rapids at Aquatica so I preferred the Aquatica one.

The park had been opened fully now for about an hour so it was pretty busy by now. Queuing in water parks isn’t much fun so we decided to call it a day. We’d done a couple of hours and that had always been the plan. We headed back to the lockers to get our stuff. I had forgotten to bring shorts so had leave the park with my wet ones on! I had received a text saying our room was ready so I was really pleased with the timing.

So overall I liked Volcano Bay. Early Entry is important here though I think. I also need to make sure I plan a little bit better and know where everything is located as to be honest I had no idea. I’ve been using the map to see the names of the slides and the map is rubbish as well. But I can definitely see us returning again and having a longer day here.

So we headed out to the bus stop and we only waited a couple of minutes before a bus pulled up saying Royal Pacific Resort.

Again it was only a couple of minutes back to the hotel. The text saying our room was ready also had the room number so I assumed that the room keys we were given earlier would work which they did. I had requested a room on the same floor as the lobby like we did last time and we received exactly what I requested. We passed bell services to say our room is ready and if they could deliver our luggage which they did a couple of minutes after we arrived in the room. The room was lovely. We managed to get some pictures before it turned into a tip which it did approximately 14 seconds after we had shut the door. We were in room 1307.

We got ourselves sorted and changed before heading out of the hotel for the walk to CityWalk. We had done the walk a few times on our last visit so we were familiar with the route. It’s a nice pleasant 5 to 10 minute walk to CityWalk although at times it can be a little hot. The bag check is situated at the end of this path before CityWalk and it is great to get this done here rather than anywhere else.

Our first port of call was lunch before hitting the parks. I had pre bought the Universal Dining plan which is $23.99 per adult. Some say it’s not good value but we’ve done ok with it. It’s a combo meal including drink, snack and a drink.

Bread Box on Citywalk is part of the dining plan and always looks good so we decided to give it a whirl.

It’s counter service but orders are brought to the table. Each hot melt sandwich comes with fries or tata tots.

Evie went for the Hot Turkey Platter. Smokehouse turkey, applewood bacon, smoked gouda, tomato, tomato aioli, multi-grain with fries. She was being fussy and didn’t like it. We thought it was good.

Lily had the 4 Cheese Platter
Muenster, fontina, Wisconsin cheddar, Parmesan, sliced brioche with tata tots. She loved this.

Kelly went for the Patty Melt. Ground beef, fontina, muenster, cheddar, caramelized onions, Texas toast with fries. She really enjoyed this.

I had the Smokey Brisket. Hickory smoked, shaved thin, smoked gouda, caramelized onions, horseradish cream, multi-grain with tata tots. This was really really good.

Fountain drinks as well and not in a paper cup.

We all really enjoyed this(bar Evie) we’d definitely return.

So next the plan said Universal Studios. Initially I had this down as for the rest of the day for us to do both the Harry Potter areas but this plan changed pretty quickly. It was absolutely baking hot as we entered but we’re all very excited to be at universal studios again.

On our way to Diagon Alley we passed the Jimmy Fallon ride. I knew there was little chance of us not going onto it as Lily absolutely loved this ride last time and became obsessed with the Jimmy Fallon character Sara(No H as H’s are eeewww,). We all really enjoyed this ride especially Lily.

It gets a lot of flak and I don’t know why. As we left the ride into the gift shop Lily was delighted to see #Panda was there. #Panda is a character from the show. Lily spent a very happy couple of minutes doing some photos with him.

So off now to Diagon Alley. The Hogsmede Express was showing a 45 minute wait. This scuppered any plans to catch it over to do the other Harry Potter area.

So we changed our plans just to spend some time in Universal Studios. First we headed to Gringotts bank but had to deal with the annoying locker areas first. Last time we came this wasn’t an express pass ride so it was nice to get straight on without any queueing. We all enjoyed the ride especially Lily but she did say it wasn’t quite as good as she remembered.

Next I had to get a frozen butter beer with a souvenir class which I have done on every trip that we have been. I’m building quite a collection of cups!

We had a little look round but it was very very busy inside and a little bit too crowded.

We decided to leave snd head out towards Men In Black.

This is a ride that we can all enjoy as a family and we walked straight on with our express pass. Even Evie enjoys this ride although honestly I don’t know how much she can actually see to shoot things. First we had to deal with annoying lockers again where I had to use my credit card again to get us a bigger locker as my rucksack was stupidly large. On the ride I decimated everyone with my spectacular score. Remember the red button folks

In the shop Lily bought herself a couple of comics for a ridiculous price but it was her spending money.

I then went over to a kiosk just opposite and got my Coke freestyle refill cup that I had put onto my dining plan. I probably should have got it earlier in the day to maximise that day but never mind. I would activate it again for each of our days at universal.

Me and Lily then went on the Simpsons ride with Kelly and Evie deciding against it. I wish I had done the same as I actually hate this ride. There’s not many right I don’t like but for some reason I really don’t like The Simpsons ride. It does make me feel a bit sick and the express pass always still leaves a bit of a wait. But Lily enjoyed it even though it took a bit longer to do the ride than it should of.

We had a little look around Springfield.

We also bought the traditional Big Pink using one of the dining plan cards snack credits. An excellent use of a snack credit.

From there we headed to the ET ride. This was closed on our last visit so me and Kelly were very much looking forward to it even though the girls didn’t really know much about ET. We got straight on the right and I gave myself the comical name of Dougie much to the horror and embarrassment of the girls who thought I might get arrested for such behaviour.

We enjoyed the ride and I’ve noticed how much more this trip I’ve enjoyed all the dark rides at Disney and Universal and all that goes into making them. The only thing is now as Kelly and the girls will clarify I that I am now constantly walking round saying “Steven” “Trouble” in ET’s voice. It annoys them somewhat but amuses me.

Once out of the ride we felt it was incredibly hot and the girls were bickering once again which was a little bit frustrating. We headed over to the Transformers ride. The girls weren’t convinced about going on but we still did and we enjoyed the ride although it’s nowhere near as good as the Spider-Man ride.

As we came out we could see areas were being roped off for a parade. So we decided to take a seat on the curb and watch the parade. To call it a parade is a little bit embarrassing as it is nowhere near the same league as a Disney one. It basically was the characters come out on little floats like Dora the Explorer and such and it lasts a couple of minutes. Never mind.

I then headed over to ride the Rip Ride Rocket. Even with my express pass there was still quite a big wait and I did worry about if I was taking too long on the ride. I eventually got on. I had read about accessing the secret music menu which I did. I chose Paranoid by Black Sabbath for my ride music. I really enjoyed the ride. I was glad I had stopped Lily from coming on as I know she would’ve hated the beginning of the ride. Next trip Lily

I had arranged to meet the others in the Jimmy Fallon shop where once again Lily had managed to find #Panda.

Next we went into the shop so could get out of the heat. Lily and Kelly could once again get over her withdrawl symptoms. The spendthrift in me again bought myself another T-shirt this time a Spider-Man one. Kelly bought a Jurassic Park t-shirt.

So we decided to call it a day around about 6.30pm and have an dinner in CityWalk. So we could get dinner.

We wanted to try something different so thought we’d give Antojitos on Citywalk a go. I’m really pleased we did. It was lovely. I had made a reservation for 8 pm but now it was 6.45 pm I asked if we could be seated earlier which was no issue.

Tortilla chips and salsa were brought to the table. This took away any need for an appertisers which I don’t think we would have got anyway. These were good but we had to stop ourselves from eating them all.

I treated myself to a beer.

There was live music as well which was nice so made for a good atmosphere.

For mains Lily had kids tacos with beef. She didn’t really like them but still ate enough.

Kelly and Evie has chicken fajitas for two. They both really like enjoyed them. It was served with peppers, cheese, pico de giao, guacamole, sour cream and lovely soft tortillas. There was plenty of chicken for them

I had steak fajitas for one. I really enjoyed these.

Definitely somewhere we’d go again.

It was around $90.

So for dessert there was only ever going to be one option. Voodoo Donuts.

Time to check out all the hype.

There was a bit of queue but it didn’t take too long to get served. You can see the selection while you queue but it still felt a bit panicky about which ones to choose!

We selected 8 in total. I chose the Memphis Mafia and Voodoo Doll, Kelly had the Peanut Cake, the Portland cream, Evie had a chocolate ring and Dirt, Lily had a glazed and Little Pink.

So the verdict. First off they were well expensive! Whe you spend that amount on donuts you expect them not to be piled on top each other in the box. When we lifted them out, the bottom ones were stuck to the top ones which Kelly wasn’t happy with.

I loved my Memphis Mafia and Voodoo Doll. Really tasty. Kelly hated her Peanut cake. To be fair it wasn’t great but she liked the Portland cream. Evie thought the Dirt was really dry but liked the chocolate ring. Lily loved both of hers.

I didn’t take pictures of them all as they weren't photogenic after they came out of the box.

A mixed bag overall. Very expensive if you ask me.

It was now time to call it a day as we were all pretty exhausted after the long day. We headed back walking back along the path to the Royal Pacific resort which again took us about 10 minutes in between the girls arguing. This one I think just because both girls were tired. We were soon back in the room and trying out donuts before having an early night.

Overall a very very good day.

Thanks for reading

George.

Edited at 06:22 PM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
A very busy day! Can't believe how much you fitted in Sounds fantastic!
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
MilliesFairy
Proud to wear my Ears

Loving reading your reports. We’re also planning on doing volcano bay during early hours it looks amazing. I’ll try and get us all to memorise the layout so we know where to go. Food choices also looked good, shame the girls didn’t enjoy it so much.
MilliesFairy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
Fab day - I’m with you, absolutely love POFQ. But equally love the Universal Parks So definitely my sort of day.
Does seem a bit unnecessary to shove all those donuts in one box like that though

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

Another busy day. It's good to know that early entry was worthwhile for volcano bay - we're planning to try it next year. You got loads done at Universal. I think the rooms at RPR must have been refurbished since we stayed there in 2015. They were nice enough then but look gorgeous now. We quite enjoy mexican so I might add Antojitos to our list of possible restaurants.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’m a bit sad we aren’t doing universal again but I just can’t justify the cost . I’d be annoyed at the donuts but the steak fajitas look amazing . Great day .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
A very busy day! Can't believe how much you fitted in Sounds fantastic!
I have crack theme park commando unit

Originally Posted by MilliesFairy View Post
Loving reading your reports. We’re also planning on doing volcano bay during early hours it looks amazing. I’ll try and get us all to memorise the layout so we know where to go. Food choices also looked good, shame the girls didn’t enjoy it so much.
If you have the early entry then it’s definitely a must. It’s probably a straightforward layout but I just didn’t research it.

Originally Posted by vanlou View Post
Fab day - I’m with you, absolutely love POFQ. But equally love the Universal Parks So definitely my sort of day.
Does seem a bit unnecessary to shove all those donuts in one box like that though
Both will be places we desperately want to stay at again.

Originally Posted by jothp View Post
Another busy day. It's good to know that early entry was worthwhile for volcano bay - we're planning to try it next year. You got loads done at Universal. I think the rooms at RPR must have been refurbished since we stayed there in 2015. They were nice enough then but look gorgeous now. We quite enjoy mexican so I might add Antojitos to our list of possible restaurants.
I think they were refurbished a couple of years ago. Really nice

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
I’m a bit sad we aren’t doing universal again but I just can’t justify the cost . I’d be annoyed at the donuts but the steak fajitas look amazing . Great day .

I know it really adds up the cost

Antojitos was surprisingly good
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
ShezMcQ
Excited about Disney

ShezMcQ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 6
A fab day! We're staying in RPR this time and really looking forward to it after loving HRH last year.

We loved our Voodoo donuts but I'm with you on the box--shame they cant make it large and flat like KK does, would be so much better for donut preservation
Polynesian Resort/HRH/The Grove - Nov18
RPR/Floridays/Hollywood Beach - Oct19
ShezMcQ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYNIC
Excited about Disney

Your report should have come with a foot pic warning! haha just kidding it looks sore!

Great morning at Volcano Bay and then on to Universal - I love Universal. Food all looks great. I have heard mixed reviews about Voodoo but to put them on top of each other is a definite no!

Really enjoying your reports.

Trip Report October/November 2019:-
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1150263
DISNEYNIC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
MaryMendes
Excited about Disney

I agree with you about Jimmy Fallon. I love that ride despite having never watched the tv show.

I also agree with the map of VB being confusing. I don’t like that the rides are such a long way from the main beach area but for me it was better on the second visit when I knew how to use the time we had there more efficiently.
MaryMendes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List