Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Jun 19, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickeymac
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by itz_baseline View Post
I was 100% a Monzo person until they started charging a 3% fee for ATM withdrawals in the US (you are allowed £200 free in a 30 day period, but that hardly pays for anything) therefore I’m looking at Starling. I guess the question is, are you likely to just use the card for chip and pin purchases or are you wanting lots of cash out?

If cash out then probably Starling.
I agree, together with the added security using the phone app, they are excellent for purpose. I have Revolut but have ordered Starling to get more cash withdrawal if needed. The good thing is you can near instantly load using app and then go to cash machine and get withdrawal.
Old 25 Jun 19, 02:39 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

We use the Post Office Travel Money Card. Used in US, Canada and Gran Canaria with no problems. You can top up using the app.

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
scottsman
Apprentice Imagineer

They say you don’t know what a company is like till things go wrong,
A couple of years ago my revolut card got cloned in Sydney
The pop up notification on my Apple Watch notified me of a transaction and allowed me to freeze the fee before they could empty my account.
I was into live chat support and revolut immediately removed the card and send a replacement to my home address.
They also filed a dispute and a week later I got my money back.

Based on that experience I will always use revolut and now that they’ve added Apple Pay, I’m going to use that for spending rather than my magic band to get away from the reserved fees on my card.
scottsman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
infuze
Helping Donald

I have just singed up to a Revolut card based on this forum (Thanks guys) but is there a charge for lifting dollars from your card via an ATM when you are in Orlando?
infuze is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
ashchall95
Helping Mickey

ashchall95's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Now we don't draw any cash out I don't even think we did that once last time, we used a WESWAP card which we had $2500 dollars on and we took 500 dollars cash and just used to take 50$ cash out each day, but we found it wasn't really needed as we could do everything on our card, apart from bits of coin pressing and arcade type things
ashchall95 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
infuze
Helping Donald

Perfect. If I am correct then the £5 standard card was contactless so I will be making use of that most of the time!
infuze is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

We have used the Post Office card in a lot of different countries and found it to be great. The app is so easy to use and updates in real time. The customer service is good.

We have used it in shops/Uber/taxis with no issues.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ashchall95 View Post
Now we don't draw any cash out I don't even think we did that once last time, we used a WESWAP card which we had $2500 dollars on and we took 500 dollars cash and just used to take 50$ cash out each day, but we found it wasn't really needed as we could do everything on our card, apart from bits of coin pressing and arcade type things
i used to use a fairfx prepay card without issue (every year between 2008 and 2017), but in recent years we have spend less than $300 in cash on recent trips on average. last time was less than $200. we moved to the monzo prepay in 2017, and then last year upgraded it to the proper bank account. it is now my main spending account, and i've just used it for 6 days in the netherlands without an issue.

i ended up getting an extra 100 euros out of a cash machine on top of the £200 allowed due to my own mistake in planning, and i got the interbank rate plus a £2.05 fee. i can live with that... most cash machines charge that sort of amount just to use it, so £2 on a 100euro withdrawal wasnt an issue, plus, how many times is that going to happen? its not like youre getting £50 out every other day... just plan a bit in advance and it isnt a problem...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List