Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jul 19, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
janeg88
Imagineer

janeg88's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
In England (from 2015), the threshold for a ‘persistent absentee’ is 10% absence. Schools are required to trigger intervention when this figure is reached and Ofsted would certainly check on actions taken to improve PA.
I’m in Scotland, we def work on 80%. Attendance is part of my current role.

The difference in the system is quite substantial.
janeg88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jimzhos
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile

I also think it really depends on your school as well.

I took my daughter away in April for 2 weeks and 1 week was term time. I also took her away in July for a week during term time and her school authorised the absences.

They got authorised as my wife was in hospital for 8 weeks and we needed some family time to regroup.

It was all authorised and we got the school to provide us with reading books and homework and we spent an hour every morning and an hour every evening doing work with her.

All in she missed 10 days (20 sessions) but her attendance this year is 99% for the year
jimzhos is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by jimzhos View Post
I also think it really depends on your school as well.

I took my daughter away in April for 2 weeks and 1 week was term time. I also took her away in July for a week during term time and her school authorised the absences.

They got authorised as my wife was in hospital for 8 weeks and we needed some family time to regroup.

It was all authorised and we got the school to provide us with reading books and homework and we spent an hour every morning and an hour every evening doing work with her.

All in she missed 10 days (20 sessions) but her attendance this year is 99% for the year
They will have put her as educated offsite or it d have been alot lower.. my son while in BCH was educated offsite...
He was too ill to study but his attendance at the end of yr 11 was over 99%
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by janeg88 View Post

It certainly is.😎
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Connors Daddy
Very Serious Dibber

At 5 years old, to be honest, I'd say just get on with it. Yes 17 school days is a fair bit, and yes it'll attract attention, but it's booked already.

By the time she's 10/11/12/13, whatever, the time off school at the age of 5 won't make a blind bit of difference

Go and enjoy it - they are only little for a short time.
Connors Daddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Abbysmum
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm an attendance officer at school and in England anything below 90% is classed as persistent absence (PA) and it's something Ofsted look very closely at. What I would say is that it's better for you that you are going later in the school year, if you were going early in the year your daughter would be a PA child for the majority of the school year however as you are going in June she'll only be PA for the latter part of June into July which means there will probably not be any interventions just a potential fine. I know our head teacher would rather families holiday in summer term as Ofsted attendance data is collected for Autumn & Spring terms and it's all about the data for Ofsted!
Abbysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

Mine have 92% attendance this year due to missing ten school days
If that helps
Anything user 90% gets monitoring visits here
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

To give you a clue...
My daughter missed 44 sessions, so 22 days and her attendance dropped to 83%.

Through no fault of her own I hasten to add. Her first year at secondary school and she's been very unlikely with her health. 5 occasions off school, one of them being just over 2 weeks 😪
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by janeg88 View Post

Snow 11 months of the year, deep fried Mars Bars and barely having to go to school.

Scotland sounds a great place.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
judy22
Apprentice Imagineer

I work in a school monitoring attendance as one of my roles. Personally, as your child is young - go on holiday. BUT, do not expect the school staff to prepare work for you to take or for the teacher to spend time catching up when you return. I hear this from our teaching staff who just dont have the time to prepare this with children off at all different times in the the year.
judy22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List