Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jun 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Thomas Cook flights 2020

Right now, the price for Thomas Cook direct flights from Manchester for the dates I’m looking at next August are quite good.

However... looking at Thomas Cook’s future - and knowing that TC are likely to sell off their airline in the next year - would I be daft to book flights (only flights, not a package) with them for August 2020? I’m assuming the flights would still be honoured even if someone else took over the airline. And, worse case, I’d still get my money back, yeah?

Thoughts?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
scottsman
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Right now, the price for Thomas Cook direct flights from Manchester for the dates I’m looking at next August are quite good.

However... looking at Thomas Cook’s future - and knowing that TC are likely to sell off their airline in the next year - would I be daft to book flights (only flights, not a package) with them for August 2020? I’m assuming the flights would still be honoured even if someone else took over the airline. And, worse case, I’d still get my money back, yeah?

Thoughts?
If they sell off then they new owner is bound to support existing booking
scottsman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Just book end supplier failure insurance and pay with your credit card and you will be 100 percent covered for any outcome even though I am sure their future looks quite sound with all the offers they have at the moment,fosun the chinese company even wants to keep the Thomas Cook brand if they take them over

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

We booked before anything was known, I would still book, we used a credit card and when they sell the airline the bookings should be honoured, if not then money back.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Quensabob View Post
Just book end supplier failure insurance and pay with your credit card and you will be 100 percent covered for any outcome even though I am sure their future looks quite sound with all the offers they have at the moment,fosun the chinese company even wants to keep the Thomas Cook brand if they take them over
Fosun are not allowed to buy the airline due to trading rules within the EU etc but have a substantial interest in the tour side of the business as they already own a percentage..

OP, I would 100% still book with TC Airlines, but as others have said, use a CC and book with end supplier failure.. you will be all good.

Edited at 12:19 AM.
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Can someone explain end supplier failure insurance with respect to my potential situation?

I'll be getting the flights direct from TC airlines, not a package. I'll be booking my hotel separately with Disney. If something goes wrong with TC I'll book flights with someone else (Virgin?) and keep my Disney hotel booking. Will end supplier failure insurance cover the additional cost of booking more expensive flights with another airline like Virgin if something does go wrong with TC?

BTW, I always buy things online using a CC.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Can someone explain end supplier failure insurance with respect to my potential situation?

I'll be getting the flights direct from TC airlines, not a package. I'll be booking my hotel separately with Disney. If something goes wrong with TC I'll book flights with someone else (Virgin?) and keep my Disney hotel booking. Will end supplier failure insurance cover the additional cost of booking more expensive flights with another airline like Virgin if something does go wrong with TC?

BTW, I always buy things online using a CC.
I'm almost certain that if you go into a TC store and book just your flight you will be ATOL protected, I can't remember where I read this so it may no longer apply.
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post

For me I wouldn't book it. OK you are covered by ATOL or End Supplier Failure Insurance but that doesn't guarantee you get the money back to buy a decent priced flight once you have made and paid for other bookings should the airline go bust. I might be a bit naive on this but that is my gut feeling.

My Mum has just flown to Seattle with Thomas Cook and I was a bit shocked she booked it herself, I would have found her a different flight, having told her TC are struggling but she wanted to risk it. She is staying with family for a few weeks so if anything happened to TC in the next month then she would be ok.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
fiffio
Imagineer

I agree to an extent, even with end supplier failure don't you just get your money back? You would then still be left with a sizable hole to fill to be able to afford flights for the same dates to match the rest of your holiday. Virgin seem to be at least £150 more expensive at the moment and that's likely only going to increase.

I would imagine Virgin might even increase their prices if industry insiders get wind the end is nigh for TC.

So if I was booking this far out I would prob aim to keep £150 aside for each person to ensure should the worst happen but lets not forget the stress of a year wondering and that if TC fails there might end up being more people with holidays planned than there are plane seats available.
fiffio is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List