Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Oct 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

We store our logs in a woodshed in our garden, we have 4 tonnes in it just now. We use seasoned hardwood and always have a pile of logs on each side of our burner plus a wicker basket full of logs.

Wicker baskets are better as they let the logs air.

If anyone has any questions I am happy to help.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Mobile

We got a log burner about 4 years ago. Absolutely the best thing we ever done! Absolutely nothing beats a log burner, few candles around it and a nice Baileys on ice 😋 even better at Christmas! It just feels so cozy. I’m no good at lighting it with kindle so I buy the logs that are in a bag that you light then just stick logs on top. We only have a small house and it literally heats the whole place, we rarely use heating anymore. There’s always trees being cut down around our way so we collect the logs season them throughout the summer then they’re ready for the winter!
Old 20 Oct 19, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

We inherited our log burner when we moved in to our house 5 years ago and wouldn’t be without one now. We have seasoned logs delivered with the bulk being stored outside in log store and we keep a small supply in the garage to save going outside to refill the log basket. I find half an egg box is great as a base and I then stuff it with half a dozen scrunched up newspaper pages and then add a small log on each side and a few pieces of kindling on the top. We have the bottom vent open to start and have the door ajar for a minute or so after lighting. Once alight, the door is closed and we wait until the kindling is getting towards embers before adding a couple of logs. The vent is then almost closed and logs added periodically to keep it going. We heat gradually intensifies and we can heat most of the ground floor after a couple of hours. I use a Lakeland spray to clean the glass which works a treat.
Old 20 Oct 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

I don't have any central heating just a 7kW multi fuel burner.
£70 for a dumpy bag! You can get a ton for £90 here. I've even given up on that I use heatlogs ( mine are from Dr Heat) they take up very little room, make no mess and burn much better than seasoned logs. This is my woodburner
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

OP - I can never remember which is considered primary and secondary but on ours the one at the front below the door we can close once the first proper log is going the one at the top we gradually close over the next hour to eventually be half way across, so similar to other poster.

Remember to build up how you add the wood. Smaller pieces earlier while building up, larger stuff once it’s going.

You can think of the valve as the accelerator and the wood as your gears.. starting off with lots of accelerator and a low gear (small piece of wood), shifting through to bigger/denser stuff until your cruising with nice heavy wood and medium a accelerator. If the flames are licking slowly then you’ve got it - those flames mean the wood is basically turning to gas before burning.

If you still have a problem, get someone to check the draw.

Happy burning. first chestnuts of the year being consumed by ours this evening..
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

Well I think I've got the hang of it more tonight. The last log I put on lasted close to two hours since I got the airflows adjusted better.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

We have had a log burner for about 8 years and wouldn’t be without it. We generally buy a ton of seasoned hardwood every year and some soft wood every other year. Our preference is Blazers which we buy every other year - reformed waste wood, very dry and heat the room and house well. We have three log stores which DH made out of old pallets, one for logs we use, one for logs we continue to season and one for any logs from trees which are being chopped down. The Blazers are stored in the garage as they need to be in a dry place.

We have an external steel chimney so have to pre heat it before we light it. We just use an electric heat gun for paint stripping from Screwfix, much cheaper than the electric stove heaters. As our house is well sealed we were advised to open a window a crack in the same room as the fire while lighting to get a good initial oxygen flow.

One thing to check is insurance. Some companies insist your chimney is swept each year and a good sweep will give you and insurance certificate. Cost us £60 this year to have the chimney swept and fire serviced, great sweep, not one speck of soot in the house when he finished. Last year he fitted bird guards on the chimney as we had dozens of birds falling down - wrecked our cream blinds getting them out! He made them as H pots don’t normally need them top and bottom.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
I don't have any central heating just a 7kW multi fuel burner.
£70 for a dumpy bag! You can get a ton for £90 here. I've even given up on that I use heatlogs ( mine are from Dr Heat) they take up very little room, make no mess and burn much better than seasoned logs. This is my woodburner
Snap

We use a mix of softwood and hardwood. Start of with kindling and softwood, top and bottom open. Once the fire is going well add some hardwood and close the vents. If we are not paying attention and the fire is nearly out just add some softwood and open top and bottom vents again. Just make sure your timber is dry. DH is in the timber industry. If you have the tools and space, and energy you can purchase bundles of slab wood from local sawmills and use a chainsaw to cut down to size and then store. A much cheaper option than buying in ready cut, obviously depends on your circumstances.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Here is our log store and our log basket

Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
zoe3003
Imagineer

Mobile

We have decided we want one of those. Would anyone mind telling me how much installation was?
SSR & RPR Aug 15
zoe3003 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List