Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Jun 17, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

All booked this year -now planning 2018!

Booked for December 4th - flying BA LHR-LAX with 10 nights at The Loews Hollywood. Just got the car to add on - going to hire a full size SUV this time as it's only £30 more than the medium. I like a bigger car!

No Vegas this year - seen quite enough for awhile! This time planning San Diego & the Zoo as an excursion instead. Plus Disney again this time - not done that for a few years now so fancy a return!

I know not many people on here do JUST LA on their West Coast adventures but I absolutely love it! Plus I can combine it with some work stuff so win-win!

Onto 2018 - no dates yet but I have to attend an event in Hollywood (what a shame!) which will most likely be next summer - never been in the height of the heat - can anyone advise on just how hot it gets mid summer and how to cope? I'm not great with the heat!
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 17, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Temperatures in mid-summer will usually run in the high 80's to 90's, and it's not unusual to get a couple days around 100, too. Definitely bring shorts, tank tops and light t-shirts. Hats are a good idea if you will be in the sun all day, especially if you burn easily- so bring a good suncreen! Keep a bottle of water with you, you can dehydrate quickly in the dry heat here. Everywhere indoors will be air-conditioned, but if you are planning to spend some time outdoors somewhere, get an early start and do as much as you can to take advantage of the cooler morning hours- the height of the heat will be around 12-3 pm. San Diego will be a few degrees cooler than LA, so there's that.

P.S. I just realized you're doing San Diego Zoo with the December trip? So disregard that last point lol.

Edited at 09:56 PM.
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 17, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

How exciting 😀
Have you stayed at Loews Hollywood before?
We are stopping there in August this year for the first time.

Edited at 10:42 PM.
tinytots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 17, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

Thanks for the weather tips! Unfortunately the event is outdoors and formal dress so that will be a challenge !

Yes, The Loews is my 'go to' hotel! Stayed here lots of times and love it! The beds are like clouds There is always lots going on here - they host a lot film / tv events and you never know what you might find. I've almost (accidentally)gate crashed an American Idol shoot and last time thought a car outside was one I'd ordered only to find it was a charter car for the Star Wars Rogue One crew going to the premiere! The cars were a fleet of Nissan Rogues!
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 17, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rusty30 View Post
Yes, The Loews is my 'go to' hotel! Stayed here lots of times and love it! The beds are like clouds There is always lots going on here - they host a lot film / tv events and you never know what you might find. I've almost (accidentally)gate crashed an American Idol shoot and last time thought a car outside was one I'd ordered only to find it was a charter car for the Star Wars Rogue One crew going to the premiere! The cars were a fleet of Nissan Rogues!
Fantastic, so good to hear positive comments, thanks
Old 29 Jun 17, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Loews is on secret sale on Hotwire at the moment for a really good rate. We were thinking of switching 2 of our nights in Burbank to Loews but dithering. You've just pushed me to book it. I think it was the bed that did it, I love a big ☁️ comfy bed.
landandword17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 17, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
Loews is on secret sale on Hotwire at the moment for a really good rate. We were thinking of switching 2 of our nights in Burbank to Loews but dithering. You've just pushed me to book it. I think it was the bed that did it, I love a big ☁️ comfy bed.
I think you might the right choice! Burbank is fine but the Loews is in the thick of things.

We've often considered Beverly Hills as the hotels are often cheaper (even the nice ones like the Hilton) but we find it handy having places so close we don't need the car every single second! Always tootling down to the CVS for something and lots of restaurants in walking distance (Hard Rock, Buffalo Wild Wings, Mels Diner, California Pizza Kitchen to name just a few!).

Enjoy!