Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 17 Jul 17, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Wild West road trip - day 4 - more Yosemite...

Day 4 and we have another full day in Yosemite.

We came here for 2 nights a couple of years ago and decided there and then that it definitely wasn't long enough. We didn't have time to relax and see all the other sights that Yosemite has to offer so this year we came for 3 nights.

We had a bit of a lie in this morning and got up about 8am. Last night in the hotel shop we bought things like cereal and pastries so decided to have that for breakfast today on the balcony.

We also decided to sit by the pool for an hour or so as we'd been on the go constantly since we arrived.

By 9am it was already 85 degrees so definitely some pool time was in order.

by 11am it was getting pretty hot so we decided to head into Yosemite again for the rest of the day and do a hike.

When we were last year we hiked up to Vernal Falls via the mist trail and we were wanting to do this again so that was the plan

When we were sitting by the pool the main road runs past our hotel into the park and we noticed since we got up this morning that the traffic wasn't moving very well and most of the time it was at a stand still. I assumed there was some road works or something just up a bit.

But anyway, we got changed, packed our rucksacks with water and snacks and headed to the car.

We turned right out of the hotel and onto the road and the traffic was still backed up. It wasn't any road works though, it was just the amount of traffic heading into the park as it was the 4th of July holiday weekend It took us almost 2 hours to reach the valley so quickly decided we weren't going to do the Vernal falls hike.

We parked up at Half Dome Camp (Formally Curry Village) and went for lunch as it was now gone 12 noon.

We all just had some chicken tenders, fries and a drink each. We had a quick look at the park map and decided to head in the direction of Mirror lake instead. It wasn't as long and was mostly flat but it was an area of the park we hadn't been to before. And to be honest the temperature was hitting 95 degrees by now so I don't think hiking up a hill in the mid day sun would have been such a good idea anyway.

We got on the shuttle bus at Half Dome and got off a few stops up the road for Mirror Lake. It was only a mile or so walking and as it was mostly through the woods there was plenty of shade

We were soon passing by little bridges and the merced river again

And about 20 mins later you have reached Mirror Lake. We knew we had reached it before we could even see it as from a distance you could hear lots of people and splashing in the water etc.

When we arrived it was a lovely area and right enough there was so many people in swimming and jumping off the rocks into the water. Again we dipped our toes in but didn't go much further. We did sit and people watch for a good while though which was so relaxing

We sat and ate some of our nibbles and had a drink then decided to head back. We had only left the lake about 5 mins when we heard a ruffling in the woods. DH said he'd spotted a wild cat and before we know it the thing was right in front of us. It was huge! I was a bit scared but it didn't seem fazed by us at all and just carried on with it's day.

About 10 mins later we saw that some people were standing looking into the woods and low and behold we saw a black bear! This is the 3rd time we've seen these beautiful creatures in the wild. We saw one on our last trip and also back in 2012 in the Smokie Mountains in Tennessee.

We kept our distance (me more than everyone else ) and it literally walk past us about 40 feet away

By the time we got back to the shuttle stop it was gone 5pm. We were starting to get tired so decided to head back to the hotel again. The heat takes a lot out of you.

Yet again we hit rush hour traffic and it took us another hour and a half to exit the park. I do honestly believe this is because it was a holiday weekend.

It was almost 7pm before we got back to our room and tonight we ate on the balcony again as we didn't have the energy to go out for dinner.

We were crashed out in bed by 10pm

Tomorrow we leave Yosemite and drive through Tioga Pass (which just opened 2 days earlier) and head to Lone Pine at the Alabama Hills for an overnight stay.

Edited at 09:48 PM.
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 17, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a treat seeing a bear! Another lovely day!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 17, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
I really hope our stay in Yosemite is as fabulous as yours. I think it's the place I'm looking forward to most!

In my head I would love to see a bear in its natural habitat, but not sure what I'll be like if it happens. Probably really happy, but terrified at the same time.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 17, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Lovely day again.

We are booked to stay at Half Dome Village in one of the solid cabins.
Old 17 Jul 17, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What a treat seeing a bear! Another lovely day!
It's an amazing experience as long as you're a distance away lol

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
I really hope our stay in Yosemite is as fabulous as yours. I think it's the place I'm looking forward to most!

In my head I would love to see a bear in its natural habitat, but not sure what I'll be like if it happens. Probably really happy, but terrified at the same time.
When are you going? It's honestly one of my favourite places ever. You will not be disappointed.

Seeing the bears are a huge bonus but they're not easy to spot. If I hadn't seen all those other people looking with their binoculars i'd never have know it was there. They like to keep a low profile in the trees

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Lovely day again.

We are booked to stay at Half Dome Village in one of the solid cabins.
Half Dome Village is lovely, you'll have a fantastic time. They also have some great places to eat here. You'll love the atmosphere here too.

Like you I would have to stay in one of the solid cabins, could never sleep in one of the canvass tents with all the wildlife kicking about lol
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 17, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
It's an amazing experience as long as you're a distance away lol

When are you going? It's honestly one of my favourite places ever. You will not be disappointed.

Seeing the bears are a huge bonus but they're not easy to spot. If I hadn't seen all those other people looking with their binoculars i'd never have know it was there. They like to keep a low profile in the trees

Half Dome Village is lovely, you'll have a fantastic time. They also have some great places to eat here. You'll love the atmosphere here too.

Like you I would have to stay in one of the solid cabins, could never sleep in one of the canvass tents with all the wildlife kicking about lol
Thanks. I see they've got a pool as well so might have a dip if we're not paddling in the river.

The kids wanted a bath rather than having shared amenities.

Old 17 Jul 17, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Thanks. I see they've got a pool as well so might have a dip if we're not paddling in the river.

The kids wanted a bath rather than having shared amenities.

Yeah we saw the pool and it's quite big. You'll honestly have an amazing time
Old 18 Jul 17, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post

We fly out to California next Monday, but don't arrive in Yosemite until 3rd August. Will keep an eye out for other people with binoculars, as they may help me spot one!
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 17, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
We fly out to California next Monday, but don't arrive in Yosemite until 3rd August. Will keep an eye out for other people with binoculars, as they may help me spot one!
Have a great time Jo.

May see you out there.

Old 20 Jul 17, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Oh wow, seeing a bear! I looked so hard for them when we were there but no such luck.

Another great day except for the traffic! Ill remember to not go on 4th July

Mirror lake looks beautiful. It was dry when we visited.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List