TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Wild West road trip - day 6 - Death Valley and Furnace Creek Ranch

Day 6 ...

This post comes with a warning... prepare for major photo uploads

Today is another day we were so looking forward to. We are driving through Death Valley and staying overnight at Furnace Creek Ranch,

We drove from Lone Pine through Death Valley and onto Vegas on our last trip but we didn't stop overnight. Just drove through and stopped for photo's at some places. I decided then and there that when we came back we would spend some more time here

The temperature in Lone Pine was already hitting 85 degrees at 8am so god knows how hot it was going to be in Death Valley at mid day...

There was not one cloud in the sky. I don't think we had seen a cloud since the minute we left San Fran

Anyway we had (free) breakfast at our hotel - the Comfort Inn, packed the car up again and were on the road for about 9.30

The road into Death Valley is literally round the corner from our hotel and within half an hour or so the temperature starting rising.

The roads were also rising so high too that at some points you are 9000ft above sea level. Your ears pop constantly but the scenery is just amazing.

A little while later we came across the sand dunes we stopped at the last time and found my favourite 'dead' tree.

When we got out of the car it was 105 degrees and it was only 11am. There is signs telling you about the dangers of the heat. We could only stay out of our air conditioned car for no more than 10 mins then we had to run back to cool down again with the air conditioning

A short while later - like an oasis in front of your eyes - we came across our lodgings for the night. Furnace Creek Ranch. Just a couple of hundred yards further is Furnace Creek Inn but we much preferred the look of the ranch.

We checked in and oh boy with the heat so intense. I've never felt anything like it before in my life! Our room was ready and we were given a map of the area and they pointed out where our room was. We were in block 900 which is one of the furthest away from the reception but it wasn't a problem as we parked the car right outside.

The rooms are fairly basic but again had everything we needed plus air condition ... phew!

We were on the ground floor and had a view of the golf course. I couldn't believe it was so green and lush looking

Our room is the bottom middle one. We loved sitting here in our rocking chairs and getting a wee taster for old age

We headed out for a walk around the resort to see what it had to offer and to also grab some lunch

There is a great size swimming pool, tennis courts, some old trains and trailers. Lots of shaded places under tree's to sit for lunch and a really good feel to the place

Next we went for lunch. There is 2 places you can eat here. There's a buffet restaurant and a bar that sells food too.

We opted for the buffet. I had soup and the salad bar but you could eat anything from the buffet like the meats, pasta, fish etc

The prices were reasonable (about $12 pp) and includes your drinks.

After lunch we popped into the grocery store / gift shop where we bought a bottle of wine for DH and a bottle of Baileys for me We were going to sit and have a wee drink on the porch tonight and watch the sun going out.

Continued below ...

Edited at 09:52 PM.
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 17, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
By now it was gone 2pm so we decided to go out for a drive. I really wanted to see Badwater Basin and Artist Drive.

On the way out we stopped by the temperature gauge at the entrance to the resort and it was now hitting 120 degrees and we felt every bit of it.

Opppps I meant to post these pics in my previous post. This is some photo's of the shop and restaurant area's...

We then set off for Badwater Basin. It's about 12 miles from the resort and it's well sign posted.

Honestly this place is a must see if you're coming to the area.

We wanted to walk out really far but the heat was just too intense. We only managed to the end of the boardwalk part then we had to turn back. I think we would have managed it if we went later in the day just before it got dark or first thing in the morning.

We then headed back to the car and headed for Artist Drive on the way back. This takes you off the main road and onto a 6 mile (on way drive) through some incredible scenery. I don't have too many photo's of this as you couldn't really park the car up anywhere but I 100% recommend driving this road. We did stop at this bit near the beginning of the drive though...

On the way back to the resort we also stopped off at Devil's Golf Course. A word of warning though, to reach this you have to drive down a very bumpy road full of pot holes for about a mile and a half. We had to drive so slow to make sure we didn't damage the car. But once you reach it you can see why they named it Devil's golf course...

By now it was getting on 5pm so we headed back to our resort. We went for cool showers and got dressed to go for dinner. Tonight we decided to eat in the bar

None of us were too hungry so we just ordered a large pizza and some chicked tenders to share between us. I also had a cocktail which was lovely

I thought the prices were really reasonable considering they have no competition within 100 miles or so

By now we were starting to flag by the heat. It wasn't quite dark yet bit it wasn't far away as the sun was going down. So we decided to head back to our room and sit on our porch with a wee drink.

As the sun went down we noticed a few animals appearing. We spotted 3 coyoties and rabbits plus a few other things we couldn't make out as they were so far away.

It was such a lovely way to end the day and I must admit today was one of my favourite days so far.

We were in bed and asleep by 10.30.

Tomorrow we leave Death Valley and head to Vegas
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 17, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Wow - another spectacular day! Fabulous scenery!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 17, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Brilliant day! The landscapes are fantastic.

The Ranch looks great.

Can't imagine how they managed pre air conditioning. Must have been horrible.

We have booked Lone Pine and then intend to drive through Death Valley and Mojave National Preserve to 29 Palms.

We will make sure we have plenty of water and petrol.

Old 20 Jul 17, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

loving your reports x
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
120 degrees! Oooh my God!

Another beautiful day, I cannot even imagine what that heat is like though!

Love the look of all the trains ect.. and that pool looks so inviting.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Wow - how many great photos can one report have. 120 degrees! I'd be hiding in the air con somewhere
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 17, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Mobile

Another amazing day, what a fabulous trip! Hot hot hot though! xx
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 17, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
What a fabulous day exploring, I can almost feel the heat from the photos and I love the look of the Ranch

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 17, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
The temperatures are incredible, but again everything looks fantastic.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List