Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 Jul 19, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Edinburgh Ideas?

Hi all, we will be in Edinburgh soon, mid 40's couple, no kids travelling, arriving from Dublin airport at 7:30 am Monday July 29th and leave Friday afternoon so we will have 4 full days. I got some info from a search of previous threads, thank you!

So far we are planning Edinburgh Castle, exploring the Royal Mile and surrounding areas, Mary King's Close tour & Arthur's seat. Also planning a visit to Leith, not sure yet about Royal Yacht Britannia.

We want to go to the National Museum of Scotland and possibly Scottish National Gallery, can you turn up here at any time or do you need to pre-book?

Is it worth taking a day to do a tour/day trip or maybe take the train into Glasgow? Any ideas for a day in Glasgow?

Is Dean Village worth a walk around? And also should we add the Royal Botanical Gardens if the weather is nice? Anywhere else or anything you think we should visit?

We are staying at the Hub Premier Inn on Rose Street and I've read that there are lots of bars and restaurants close by so we will probably stay around here at night so if you have any recommendations of where to visit I would appreciate it.

Thanks, looking forward to our trip
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
willow
Imagineer

The ghost tours are good, you can normally get a good deal on Groupon.

Indian Creek 2004,Radison 2005
Indian Creek 2007,Calabry Park 2009
Lake Wilson Preserve 2011,2013, 2015,2016,2017,2018, 2019,2020
willow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I visited Edinburgh recently for the marathon. Had a great meal at Vittoria on the Bridge, I recommend it if you like Italian food
Old 12 Jul 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

If you’re looking for a short journey somewhere else I’d recommend Dundee. It’s only just over an hour on the train and has the new V&A museum, some lovely shops and eating places too .
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Do dinner at the Dome

Take a trip to South Queensferry and stand in the shadow of the Forth Train Bridge. One of the 7 wonders of the UK.

Disney332
Old 12 Jul 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Flowertot
Apprentice Imagineer

Flowertot's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

So pubs and restaurants around rose street.

Head up to George street and visit the dome, le minds, printing press, all bar one, Cooper blossom, tiger lily for start.

Back sling to St Andrew’s square for a drink in Harvey Nic, also have a fab steak restaurant next door called the grand, Also the ivy is near there. Lots of lovely food and drink plCes within 5 min walk
Flowertot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

I would recommend some of the independent restaurants on Thistle Street if you’re looking for food near Rose Street. Particularly The Bon Vivant (also has a bar and does good cocktails), Dusit for Thai food, or Fishers in the City for seafood. I also like Iris but haven’t been recently so not sure if it’s still as good. You can book all of the above. There’s also a tiny Mexican called El Cartel that you can’t book, but you can wait across the road in the Bon Vivant and they’ll let you know when a table is available.

If you want chains head to St Andrews Square, where Dishoom is good for Indian. There’s a Wagamama’s and a Wahaca. Harvey Nichols is also nice; I haven’t eaten at the other places there as I try to support the independent restaurants - we have so many!

I am not a huge fan of any of the bars on George Street but I do like Heads and Tales, the gin bar at Shandwick. For food on George Street, Baba and Cafe Andaluz both do small sharing plates.

Edit - there are a lot of nice food places in leith if you want to eat during your visit, I can recommend some!

Edited at 10:13 PM.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Some great suggestions here, I'm going to check them all out. Thank you so much
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dismamx2 View Post
Some great suggestions here, I'm going to check them all out. Thank you so much
I also forgot to say that you can just turn up to the museum or the gallery - there’s no entry desk or fee.

DH and I also love just walking around the Botanics.

Finally given you are coming at the start of the festival, it will be getting busy, you may get to see some of the previews shows for lower ticket prices but restaurants etc will be busy so plan accordingly!

Edited at 02:48 PM.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
I also forgot to say that you can just turn up to the museum or the gallery - there’s no entry desk or fee.

DH and I also love just walking around the Botanics.

Finally given you are coming at the start of the festival, it will be getting busy, you may get to see some of the previews shows for lower ticket prices but restaurants etc will be busy so plan accordingly!
Thanks for that! I thought with it being mid-week and before the festival starts we should be ok with without reservations so good to note.