Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Oct 19, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
Thank you! I think for some like Ben and Georgia it takes a little more time to adjust. Ben was also talking about who to share a house with next year, it seems crazy to be already thinking about that but Ben said people have told him to try and find people to share with by December
I hope you are enjoying your holiday, I wouldn’t mind a bit of warmth and sun!
I think it’s incredibly soon to be making decisions about house sharing next year.

DD is still awfully homesick and is seriously considering sticking the year out and seeing if she can transfer closer to home next year and commuting.

Her course friends all seem to have very good flat mates who they plan to share with next year. DD has a good friend in her flat but she’s suffering with homesickness too and DD isn’t sure she’ll last the year let alone stay next year. So she says if she stayed she wouldn’t have anyone to share with and decisions have to be made by Christmas/early new year.

She’s going to make an appointment with a student advisor on Monday to chat things over. I have no idea how easy it would be, or indeed if it is possible to transfer.

I’m so sad for her as she was so looking forward to this big adventure 🙁 She’s loving the course but that isn’t enough at the moment.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
That’s interesting, 4 months of study and then a break. Is he there for 3 years?
Bless him, how lovely to thank you for letting him go, it’s certainly life changing for him, I wonder what he will want to do next!
Four years - though he hopes to do a semester abroad (USA)!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Seems so strange that your son had his mid-terms already when ours have just started their course. It shows how quickly the time passes though. I bet you are counting the days to your visit now 😀 I hope he hasn’t kept his washing for you, Georgia did ask tonight if we could take her sheets home to wash as she can’t dry them 😂
He has been managing - could you imagine the stink if he hasn’t done any washing in eight weeks 😷
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Magic Mouse View Post
I think it’s incredibly soon to be making decisions about house sharing next year.

DD is still awfully homesick and is seriously considering sticking the year out and seeing if she can transfer closer to home next year and commuting.

Her course friends all seem to have very good flat mates who they plan to share with next year. DD has a good friend in her flat but she’s suffering with homesickness too and DD isn’t sure she’ll last the year let alone stay next year. So she says if she stayed she wouldn’t have anyone to share with and decisions have to be made by Christmas/early new year.

She’s going to make an appointment with a student advisor on Monday to chat things over. I have no idea how easy it would be, or indeed if it is possible to transfer.

I’m so sad for her as she was so looking forward to this big adventure 🙁 She’s loving the course but that isn’t enough at the moment.
she's being very mature in considering all these things you know, well done her!
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Your last paragraph made me tear up 😢 I think that’s all we want as parents, to see them happy and fulfil their dreams and aspirations xx
You can imagine how I felt 😘 - he is such a good lad!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 10 Oct 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

So sorry to hear this MM, I’m hoping that the chat with the student advisor goes well and she gains reassurance that she needs.
It must be so hard for you as well knowing that she is missing home so much.
I agree about it being to early to make a decision for house sharing bearing in mind that they have only known the people in their flat etc for a number of weeks! It seems that the hurdle of going to uni is over and further hurdles are on the horizon.
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Originally Posted by roxie2001 View Post
Lovely updates from everyone.
My Dd is still enjoying it, she has trampolining twice a week and goes to gym regularly.
I’ve spoke to her more this week as oh and I have been in holiday and she usually FaceTimed when she was cooking which was nice. She has discovered Quorn mince and chicken so is using that more than meat.
She comes home tomorrow but not leaving until after her last lecture so will be 11pm when we pick her up.
We are going to breakfast with my mum, she is seeing her friends then we are all going to Okoberfest together. Mum will make her and her bf a Sunday lunch to take home.
Great to hear your DD is doing so well, have a lovely weekend too!
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
H is in her second week and very busy but seems happy. Lectures have started and her timetable is quite full. She’s also trying new activities and went to a taster session for fencing today! Her accommodation is catered and her corridor tend to go to meals together so they are bonding quite well so far. Contact can be a bit sporadic but it’s nice when we do get to catch up.
Georgia has a very full timetable too with her Biology course too although she has said it’s very interesting. Fencing sounds fun.

I’m pleased H is getting on well with her flat mates too. Is the food good in catered accommodation? Our eldest had catered as it was all that was available as they messed his application up but he said it was terrible, although that was years ago hopefully it’s better now
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by roxie2001 View Post
Lovely updates from everyone.
My Dd is still enjoying it, she has trampolining twice a week and goes to gym regularly.
I’ve spoke to her more this week as oh and I have been in holiday and she usually FaceTimed when she was cooking which was nice. She has discovered Quorn mince and chicken so is using that more than meat.
She comes home tomorrow but not leaving until after her last lecture so will be 11pm when we pick her up.
We are going to breakfast with my mum, she is seeing her friends then we are all going to Okoberfest together. Mum will make her and her bf a Sunday lunch to take home.
So good to hear your DD is enjoying herself too. I hope you all have a brilliant weekend at Oktoberfest and have fun catching up with your DD 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

So sorry to hear this MM, your daughter is doing so well to consider all the options available though. Georgia is still far from settled and is still not feeling as if she is making enough friends, it’s very hard for quieter ones. She has signed herself up to a few more societies this evening for trials as some of the ones she chose weren’t very good or haven’t organised anything. She is trying hard but it’s not easy 😔