Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Oct 19, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
pumpkin mom
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Well done sainsburys. I absolutely hate them and our poor cats are traumatised every year. If it was just the one night no problem i could be prepared etc by closing cat flap putting them somewhere safe but its the randomness of it all. Last year our poor cat was out about 4pm on the 9th nov when one went off she was so scared she gashed her head trying to get back home . We found her behind the fridge covered in blood absolutely terrified.
Old 18 Oct 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

The quiet fireworks like the 2 for 10 that u can enjoy in your own garden without upsetting your neighbours is fine but the loud 1’s leave to the big displays.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

My cat used to hate them. He was a partial outdoor cat and so the first sign of fireworks and he would be off and I just would not see him again until it went quiet. And it’s not like you can say “ok let’s keep h in its bonfire night” because they starts weeks before.
Also the thing I hate is kids from the school near me throw them at cars it’s horrible driving up the main road once they go on sale.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
Many years ago an elderly gentleman who fought in the RAF in the Second World War lived in my street. Fireworks totally freaked him out, he was scared we were getting bombed.
When we were staying at a villa in Orlando in the summer we heard a couple of loud bangs, sounded like gunshots! I was terrified and turned all the lights off and sat in the dark for a bit Dh ventured outside and concluded they were fireworks...it was the 3rd July so we should have expected it I suppose but initially they really made us jump so can imagine for the elderly chap who fought in the war it must have been awful.
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

I am in the opposite camp here
I enjoy watching fireworks and wish they were readily available all year round

Of course in the wrong hands they can be dangerous but I don’t see many people wanting garages to stop selling cars or pubs to stop serving alcohol

I’m not a dog owner but to my mind the issue is they don’t know what’s going on because they are rare . Take them to watch a display so they can understand what it’s all about and I suspect they will be less concerned in the future

I don’t see the point in bangers so maybe ban them ?
Maybe put the age up to 21 to buy them so kids who haven’t matured yet and don’t recognise the dangers are less likely to have access to them

I do have concern for those of you who seem to live in Beirut

Of course you get the odd lunatic but maybe they lunatic will be involved in the displays that people seem to think are acceptable ? What’s the cut off point ? Is the pub landlord ok to have a display ? Is the local cricket club ?
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Silent fireworks, organised Displays, piped music instead of bangs!

Edited at 06:58 PM.
Sandra & co is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
kc1
Imagineer

Mobile

Been banned over here for years! It’s so much better! There’s the odd licensed event if you want to see them! It’s so much nicer this way! And much quieter 😂
kc1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
I like them. Both bonfire night and new years eve, I wander outside with a glass of wine and enjoy the fireworks from all around. I liked the chinese lanterns too (shock!) although the campaign against them seemed pretty effective and I hardly see any now.

We have pets and we keep them inside and entertained on those nights but of course we can't protect them from cars back firing, people shouting and all the other noises that happen routinely.

I get why people don't like them but totally personal opinion, I'm fed up of having a nanny state that wants to legislate against everything. Soon our personal liberties will be eroded to such an extent we won't be able to choose to eat mcdonalds, or have fireworks, or drink, or have a party, or or or...

I just wish the world would be a bit more tolerant and address the serious stuff like crushing inequality and poverty, homelessness and climate change. Fix that, then let's talk about a few rockets one day/week a year.

(ps. no offence to anyone, I totally realise I'm in the minority)
If you only get them one day/week a year, I want to live where you are!
Old 18 Oct 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
They just go some where else there needs to be a total ban but there too much money in it same as Halloween this is America tradition not uk but there too much money involved.
It was a Scottish tradition of guising for decades before the Americans stole it and changed it for the worst. The weans still go guising up her and not trick or treating.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Well done Sainsburys, not only for our beautiful animals but the environment. The next day and for weeks after, its like smog.
x
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List