Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Oct 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
lovesdisney
Excited about Disney

Mobile Age of babysitter

Just wondering at what age you would trust someone to look after your kids?
My daughter is 13 and very sensible for her age... I trust her to look after her 9yr old sister.. I’ve been asked by a friend when is she old enough to babysit their children who are 5 and 6?
Im not sure if I want my daughter having that responsibility yet... I know she’s be ok but what’s is everyone’s thoughts .. I think I was 14/15 before I started doing babysitting
Old 19 Oct 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

I'd probably say that 13 is too young. If there was an emergency, then that's alot of responsible for a child. Plus the needs of a 9 year old are alot different to children under the age of 6.

But you know your child
Old 19 Oct 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post

I was a responsible and sensible child and babysat from the age of 13. I would have been able to handle an emergency as easily as an 18 year old could.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Hmmmm lots of factors - where is she babysitting, what time of day, who is next door etc.

If it's a Friday night and not within walking distance of a responsible adult, I wouldn't advise. If she's babysitting two doors down and you'd be at home to help in case of an emergency then fair enough.
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

My brother looked after me from about 13/14 on a couple hours during the day occasionally type business (like parents going to the shops taking the 3 year old sister!) BuT We were very close to our neighbours one side and on good terms with them the other side, so if anything happened there was someone to grab. I took my 11 year old sister to London when I was 16, but we had phones and our mum was at home and getting constant updates.

I think it would depend on the circumstances, if say it’s after bed time, and they are at a pub at the end of the road or dinner a few mins away, then all she’s gotta do is be there to phone in case of them waking and freaking, but leaving a 13 year old to feed said children and put to bed is a little out there? Unless she knew them really well keeping them entertained may also be a little out of the question (and my friends nephews are that age and they are always egging each other on and windin teach other up!)
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

I think as others have said, depends on the circumstances, but I would still say no as it is for two children. As an adult, on my own at times, with my own kids I've had to deal with emergency situations and its much harder to do when there is more than one child to deal with.
littlelish0544 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

No. To me 13 is too young to take on that responsibility. What if a child was choking? Would your daughter know what to do? There is so much that could happen. I personally wouldn't take the chance.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

I think the legal age is 16 to be in charge of a younger child (As in legally responsible) but as people have said it depends on what they are like and the situation. If it was a child asleep in bed then it’d be fine but maybe not if they were still up? X

Edited at 07:55 AM.
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

I suppose it depends on the child. At 13 I was babysitting for my 3 & 1 year old cousins and putting the 3 year old to bed.

I also had a traumatic afternoon looking after my 3 month old cousin in an emergency which was too much and I didn’t know how to stop her crying. She has her own child now so I didn’t go far wrong but I didn’t enjoy it.

16 is the age the child is responsible before that is it the parents of the child who is being looked after.
Alices Aunt is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Ash
Imagineer

We moved house into an area with lots of kids, My then 13 year old wanted to start earning a few $$$... we put her through a YMCA babysitting course, it covered a lot of stuff including CPR. Then my neighbour found herself in a bind, newly divorced and the after school child care was full as was the local nurseries, the neighbour asked my daughter to babysit after school until she got home at 5. I told my neighbour that I was ok with it as I would be home to assist with any emergencies and my daughter would have a mobile phone with her. The ex husband of the neighbour did not agree with this (he was being super awkward on this and just about everything to do with the divorce) anyhow it ended up being put before a judge and he ruled that it was perfectly fine esp as she had taken a course with a very reputable organisation.