Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Sep 19, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Miss_Tangled
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Nursery water: boil or not?

Does anyone know if nursery water needs to be boiled before mixing with powdered formula?
I’ve had a look at old posts on the Dibb and some way it needs to be boiled and others say it can be mixed straight to formula and then warmed to the required temperature?
Thanks in advance
* Tarpon Springs '07 * New York '07 * Hampton Lakes '09 * Mission Park March '11 * Four Corners Sep '11 * Dream Castle DLP December '12 * Florida Pines '14 & Grand Floridian Everglades Suite! * New York City...Surprise 30th December '14 * Lindfields & Grand Floridian September '15 * 1st trip with our little lady! WDW September '17 * DLP February ‘18 * 3 wks POR September '19 *
Miss_Tangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Firstxmastrip
Imagineer

Firstxmastrip's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
mixed straight with formula. We used that when we took our 3 mth old and i wish they had sold it over here, it was so quick and easy.
Firstxmastrip is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
walden64
Imagineer

walden64's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
When we took our Grand daughter We boiled a small amount (2oz’s) and mixed with formula and then just topped it up with the cold nursery water to make the full amount. Exactle6 the same as we would do here.

With its own pool, jacuzzi, internet, games room and backing onto wonderful conservation and wetlands area, it is a great choice for families. Just a couple of minutes from Championsgate

Full details can be found at www.orlando-villa-westhaven.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/sunshineviewfloridavilla

walden64 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Yes, you need to boil it. The hot water kills the bugs in the formula, mixing it with water below 70 degrees isn’t effective.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by RachaelC View Post
Yes, you need to boil it. The hot water kills the bugs in the formula, mixing it with water below 70 degrees isn’t effective.
Do you mean for normal baby formula?

I’m with RachaelC. My first baby was bottle fed(not my second) I’m a bit out of date as this was 5years ago now but we always boiled the water as it kills the bugs in formula.
There are a lot of people who mix it straight with water then warm it. My sister did this and my niece is ok so I’m not sure how much effect it has.

Personally I would and alway have boiled the water,add the formula then cooled.

I also cheated tho as I didn’t go many places and had a machine that boiled and dispensed the correct amount for me. Good gadget that was.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

You should never use cold water to mix formula. Once tin is opened its no longer sterile so you need to use water at least 70 degrees to kill off the bacteria.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

As most people have said, formula MUST be mixed with water over 70 degrees in order to kill bacteria that is present once formula is open.
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
There are a lot of people who mix it straight with water then warm it. My sister did this and my niece is ok so I’m not sure how much effect it has.
It’s rare, but babies have become sick from formula prepared incorrectly and in extreme cases it can be fatal. As I said, it’s rare, so not something to get too anxious about, but I think it’s worth preparing the milk correctly to reduce that risk further.

It’s not helped by the fact that I know of people who have been told by their health visitor that making it with cooled boiled water is ok. The reality is that it should be prepared as per the instructions and no health professional should be advising otherwise.

The WHO have some good literature about it all.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Miss_Tangled
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Our daughter will be ten months old, would I be able to add the formula to boiled nursery water and then allow to cool and reheat when needed?
Just trying to figure out the best way to make up bottles for in the parks.
* Tarpon Springs '07 * New York '07 * Hampton Lakes '09 * Mission Park March '11 * Four Corners Sep '11 * Dream Castle DLP December '12 * Florida Pines '14 & Grand Floridian Everglades Suite! * New York City...Surprise 30th December '14 * Lindfields & Grand Floridian September '15 * 1st trip with our little lady! WDW September '17 * DLP February ‘18 * 3 wks POR September '19 *
Miss_Tangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

It must be boiled. It says it clearly on the back that is is not sterile. It’s a really common misconception. I used to work on the marketing team of a very big formula maker and this came up all the time - it must be boiled.
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List