Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 19, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Not wanting to make light of this - but I was a teenager in the 80s and we were all convinced the bomb would drop tomorrow. People felt like this in the 60s too. And after both World Wars. And probably way before that.

Learning to deal with stuff like this is part of growing up.

Not that we shouldn’t do everything in our power to make our world a better place - of course we should. But there never has been a golden age when everything was wonderful. Life goes on, and is still the same crazy mix of joy and pain it has always been.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Yeah, scientists knew about this issue 50 years ago. It was reported in newspapers 30 years ago. And I'm still not sure we're doing anything significant about it now.
50 years ago the milkman used to deliver milk in recycled glass bottles using an electric vehicle, very few houses would have had central heating, phones, tvs and cars were a luxury.

So were they basing their predictions on things that were happening then or did they have the foresight to see the modern world and the massive changes that have happened since.

Or did they just realise that weather/climate patterns are cyclic and there is very little we can do to stop major natural catasprophes.
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mackenzies03
Serious Dibber

I think it’s too late too. The Earth is already irradiating us vermin off it with antibiotic resistance. It won’t be long until simple infections are completely deadly and with a mass outbreak of something like TB then it could be globally catastrophic. Enough to save the planet? Who knows. But you can’t blame the Earth for trying.
Mackenzies03 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Not wanting to make light of this - but I was a teenager in the 80s and we were all convinced the bomb would drop tomorrow. People felt like this in the 60s too. And after both World Wars. And probably way before that.

Learning to deal with stuff like this is part of growing up.

Not that we shouldn’t do everything in our power to make our world a better place - of course we should. But there never has been a golden age when everything was wonderful. Life goes on, and is still the same crazy mix of joy and pain it has always been.
Your post is spot on.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by pompeyboy View Post
50 years ago the milkman used to deliver milk in recycled glass bottles using an electric vehicle, very few houses would have had central heating, phones, tvs and cars were a luxury.

So were they basing their predictions on things that were happening then or did they have the foresight to see the modern world and the massive changes that have happened since.

Or did they just realise that weather/climate patterns are cyclic and there is very little we can do to stop major natural catasprophes.
I'm not sure they were predicting anything much. Well, maybe some were (I don't know).

They looked at historic data over the last 100 years or so and realised that climate changes had been happening since the Industrial Revolution in the mid-1800s. And they surmised that human activities were at least somewhat, if not mostly, responsible for those changes that had happened over the last 100 years.

As you point out, since that time we no longer recycle glass bottles, every house has central heating, there are far more cars on the road, we build more devices and gadgets, we ship more food and goods from foreign countries, and so on. So the problem is probably only getting worse since then.

A side note: Remember the days of CFCs in aerosols and how that was going to destroy the ozone layer and thus increase warming and melt the ice caps? We managed to stop spraying CFCs around and (I think) stopped the reduction of the ozone layer. We need to continue those sorts of things, looking for better alternatives to practices that we currently have.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 05:56 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Do you think she means it though? I mean she probably does at the moment but we all say things at 16 that don't necessarily carry forward into adult life.
When I was 15 I said that I'd never have children. I'm now 55 and haven't had children and have never once regretted the decision.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
It wouldn't be climate change that would put me off having kids , I'd be more concerned with terrorism, knife crime and just horrible people in general
This ^^^^

This makes me wonder what I have done by bringing my children who are 5 and 3 into the world and I do often wonder if maybe we were selfish having them as I don’t actually think it’s a nice world for them to grow up in and I believe it will just get worse
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter is 21 and is very distressed about it. She initially got concerned because of the ice caps melting and the polar bears but then more and more she has got upset about it. She says we have got to the point where we can’t repair it and we are actually destroying the planet and I suppose the idea that it’s not necessarily in our lifetime or our kids lifetime that it will be destroyed but I think the idea of not having kids is because the planet may not be around for them. And for me that’s s very horrible thought.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I don’t actually think this is that unusual. Every generation has its fears about the future. At the moment it’s climate change.

I used to be terrified of a nuclear war, my parents had their fears, many teenagers lived through two world wars. I am not belittling their legitimate fears but it’s really not that different to any other generation

I remember these leaflets, adverts on the TV

iwm.uk/collections/i...ect/1500124311

Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
People being scared by climate change.

wow.

If we stopped existing tomorrow climate change would exist, we're small drop in an ocean.