Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 24 Sep 12, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Sunny weekend in Blackpool...

Well booked a last minute break to Blackpool, me, DH, DS, DDIL, DGS5 and DGD9months.
Planned on booking the Big Blue but no family rooms, frantic search for accommodation ensued... needed 1 double and 1 family room, needed parking on site and close to seafront. Finished up with The Delton Hotel just across from the Big Blue. At £60 per night for the double and £65 per night for the single it was a bargain... but would it be ok?
Anyway, set off early on Friday morning... you know the plan...leave At 6am, avoid the traffic and arrive for breakfast... well, weather was awful, rain, fog and wind... the 2 hour 6 minutes promised by the sat nav was the stuff of dreams... hit the traffic, needed to stop for loo, coffee, stretch... arrived promptly at 10 am... instead of the promised 8:33...
Of course we were all desperate for the loo when we landed, so had to ring the hotel door bell to be allowed in to visit the loo and let them know that we were parked and would check in later.
First stop, breakfast at the first reasonable place we found which was McDs, at 10:31 too late for brekkie, so ended up with a quarter pounder and fries.DH had a chicken sandwich and fries. Service was very slow... we had just about finished before DS and family got theirs.
A long, long walk up the prom and we realised that several businesses had closed and premises boarded up, but we were impressed by the nearly finished prom.
Of course we had to visit the amusements, stunned to find that payouts were now in tickets that had to be redeemed for prizes in that particular arcade... in the one we were in it was 450 tickets for the smallest bit of rubbish.
The whole town was heaving with large groups of Scots, and later stag and hen parties. The stag and hen parties were not good when there are young children about, the language was atrocious, the lit cigarettes and swigging of alcohol whilst walking on the street a health hazard. Saturday night was particularly bad, Sunday morning revealed the streets coated in vomit, half empty glasses and general rubbish.
Strolled down the central pier to the family bar which was shut... noticed how shabby it was looking, peeling paint etc
We shared a platter in one of the amusement cafe bars, followed by hot donuts from a vendor... these were gorgeous...
Walked back to the hotel, by the time we got back I was nearly crying I was shattered and my hip was killing me... guess who's not fit...it's only 2 miles but that makes 4 in total...weather all day was cold with a hint of drizzle...
Finished up back at the hotel about 7pm.
Hotel was a little old fashioned but clean. The rooms were bijou (or quite cramped)...only one person in the ensuite at a time, but staff were welcoming, bed was comfortable...took our own pillows cos they're usually like bricks...
Spent he evening in the bar cos we were all too tired to go out again. Half a dozen families in the bar and all the kids in their jimjams, so sweet, bed around 10pm, quite happy.
Saturday, had a lovely full English in the hotel, when they eventually realised we were there cos they forgot us... slow service seems to be a recurrent theme for the weekend...
Today we were on the tram, no way was I walking...
Plan was Fleetwood market, well the write up was good. Tram was cheap, £4:50 for a travel card for the day (good for buses too), but like the underground in the rush hour...it was rammed. Conductor said everyone goes to market, looks round, has a cup of tea and goes back...
Well average age of both sellers and buyers was about 90... DS says it reminds him of Dawn if the Dead, so many shuffling, blank eyed people. I've never seen so many track suits outside of the Olympics..
So we looked round, it was like a car boot on a bad day... found a very tiny cafe, bought 2 strawberry milkshakes, 2 cokes, 4 vanilla slices, I egg custard and spent just over £10... then found a huge cafe next door...caught the tram back to Blackpool...
Decided to go to the Tower, remembered the money off vouchers sat on the coffee table at home, so convenient...
All DH and I wanted to do was have a sit in the Ballroom with a nice drink... but it was not to be... it's now combination tickets and me in my slightly hungover state couldn't cope, so had a coke and left.
DS and family were going to the circus, we didn't fancy the cramped hard seats and it's not been the same since they rightly stopped using animals.
Went round the shops, into Houndshill centre, but these days there are the same shops everywhere, very little individuality wherever you go. Bumped into DS and family who had also given up on the Tower... by the way it's still rusty...
After a quick browse, DH decided he wanted a new jumper which I know he'll never wear again, but duly purchased one from good old M and S.
Opted to go to Madame Tussauds, haven't been for about 3 years, (which was when we last came to Blackpool), I think it's better, there's less models but they're better and much more interactive. The photos the staff take are pro quality and pricey but you don't have to buy but be warned if you have kids.
By then it was tea time, so off to Harry Ramsdens. Queue was long and slow, longed for the American pager system. Once we were seated we realised why...service was atrociously slow, friendly and we got what we ordered but it took ages... the other thing was we were a party of 6 and there were smaller parties in front of in the queue, there were large tables that were empty but they seated in order so the large tables stayed empty till there was a large party... if that makes sense, when we hit the front of he queue we were seated immediately. Food was good IMO, hot and good sized portions but was £9:99 for fish, chips and mushy peas...
After that the rowdiness outside was getting a bit much for DH and I and we were shattered... so a steady stroll to the donuts, purchase of a foot long eclair to eat with a coffee back in the room (sorry, we were being piggish) and the tram back. Saw some of the Illuminations which were nice. In bed before 8 and a solid nearly 12 hour sleep.
DS and family and hit the slots again and came back later.
Weather was really nice, sunny and mild.
Sunday, DH, me and DGS were out and about at 8, before brekkie at 9, found a travelodge the other side of the Pleasure Beach and called for coffee...why didn't we spot this for brekkie on Friday? Then walked round the other way... DGS said it was a good short cut, though it seemed much longer.
Brekkie in the hotel, and out to the Pleasure Beach. Now they charge you £5 to wonder round, even DGS 5 was charged. They were getting him a wristband but he was too small to ride alone so they would have had to buy an adult wristband as well, as we were only there for a few hours it was really a waste of money. The have also bought in a fast pass system that you can buy, wonder where they got that idea?
A stroll round and a stop for coffee and we decided to call it a day and go for a final stroll up the prom for Ole (DGS) to spend his last pennies and to get some lunch. for a change we had fish and chips that were just ok.
Weather wise was fresh...
Set off for home about 2pm, arrived at DDs at just after 4pm, started raining 2 miles from home, picked up the dogs and headed home for tea...
Was a nice break which we enjoyed but was sad to see how Blackpool seems to be declining. There were large numbers of roaming drunks, even early in the day, businesses are obviously struggling to survive, and cutting costs to the bone. We may go again, but maybe not...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 12, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

I remember going to Blackpool as a child and it was a great day out but sadly now it is an eyesore and although I wouldn't want any Hen/Stag party not to have fun , it is out of hand now , such a shame
Old 26 Sep 12, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
Such a shame you didn't enjoy your visit. Harry Ramsdens is know for being a rip off locally, it's not even owned by them anymore. So many nicer ones.

Glad you enjoyed some buts though. You should have checked out the ballroom, it's free to sit in the balconynand people watch. I do that sometimes just for a sit down. If you decide to give Blackpool a second chance let me know and I'll give you some nice places to visit and eat

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 12, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
anniee
Imagineer

Was that just this weekend Diane? Bad time as it is Glasgow local holiday and Blackpool is the traditional destination.

We were down a couple of weeks ago to catch up with in laws and friends. We did go on to the promenade to see the Comedy Carpet and think they have done a really good job with it. We weren't in town at all as met friends in St Annes for dinner one night, ate at mils another and drove to Garstang for lunch on the way home.
Old 26 Sep 12, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Sorry if I sounded negative, actually we did enjoy our visit... despite the negatives,
we could sit on the balconies in the Tower but used to like to sit downstairs and DH used to have a pint...which he couldn't do.
Loved the freshly made donuts on the prom, gorgeous. Enjoyed walking up the mile, and the tram conductors were brilliant - honestly don't know how they manage with the crowds.
It's very likely we will be back again, we do like Blackpool... I will PM you for some ideas for different places to eat before our next visit...

djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 12, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
You've made me want to head into town now :p it's been a while!

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 12, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Seaworldlovers
slightly serious Dibber

Hi
I live in Blackpool.There is so much you missed out on.Stanley Park is great this time of year.We also go to St Annes lovely little cafes in Lytham.Even though we live in Blackpool we avoid the front and centre at night.They need to clean the town up.Alot of really good work has been done to improve the prom buyou can't change brits on holiday
Seaworldlovers is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 12, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Yes Anniee, just last weekend, that explains it, everywhere was busy, it's just over 3 years since our last visit and the prom is lovely now.

Old 26 Sep 12, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

DH used to go to Stanley Park with his parents over 50 years ago... bet it's changed a bit. Tbh we only had 2 full days and I'd decided to give Fleetwood Market a try plus the Tower, Tussauds and the Pleasure Beach and DGS was determined to spend his pennies in the arcades... so not enough time really x

Old 26 Sep 12, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Sounds like it was during 'Scottish Fortnight' which my in-laws tell me is best avoided!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List