Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Nov 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Used to take me 2 hours a day each way to get to Uni on the train. Up to 4 hours with delays its hard going especially on some degrees where youre in 9.-5 (I studied teacher training) xx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
HEMANCLOFTY
Dibbing with Tink

HEMANCLOFTY's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I stayed at home and commuted from the Valleys to Cardiff for my first year - initially train all the way, and then park and ride once I'd passed my driving test. It would take about 45 mins and I had lectures every day.

I spent a lot of time in the student union cafe that year (99/00) watching early episodes of Friends that they played on a loop.

Edited at 06:55 PM.
HEMANCLOFTY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
wendy7654
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks all, we have a concern now after another dibber mentioned it about the placements, if they are more local to the Uni than home then this could be a struggle trying to get there and back after the placement.
We are still going to the campus tour to get a feel for it and then take if from there.
Thanks again its so helpful getting other views.

Windwood Bay 2008/2009
DIBB Villa - Sandy Ridge 2010
Sandy Ridge Villa-2013
DIBB Villa - Westhaven July 2018

Hotel Elysee Val De Europe May 2015
Seqouia Lodge DLP Xmas/New Year 2015
Seqouia Lodge GF Xmas/New Year 2016
Sequoia Lodge GF Xmas/New Year 2017
Sequoia lodge May 2019- August 2022- Hopefully
wendy7654 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wendy7654 View Post
Thanks all, we have a concern now after another dibber mentioned it about the placements, if they are more local to the Uni than home then this could be a struggle trying to get there and back after the placement.
We are still going to the campus tour to get a feel for it and then take if from there.
Thanks again its so helpful getting other views.
My hubby did a PGCE and placements would have been tricky if hed needed to rely on public transport. He took a gap year between uni and PGCE and during this time did some voluntary work and learnt to drive.

It might be worth asking the general location of the schools that the uni partner with for placements and how placements are allocated.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
TheGrahams
Apprentice Imagineer

My dd went to Ayr uni 2 trains took about 2 hours. She didn't mind the travel but it made her take driving lesson and we bought her a car. Took about 1 hour to drive.

Billy , Liz , Liam & Gemma
TheGrahams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

I was very lucky and attended uni which was a 4 mile drive, but there were others in the cohort who had a 90 minute commute. We had placements and wherever possible, our transportation method was taken in to account, but it did limit options for some. We usually had lectures on 4 days each week, and there were occasions when we only had one lecture, which was then cancelled at very short notice which was very frustrating.
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Momofboys
Imagineer

Momofboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DS1 graduated in primary education this year. he drove into uni, it took 40mins max. They were told their placements would be no more than an hours commute from where they lived regardless of whether that was home or on campus.
Old 10 Nov 19, 02:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wendy7654 View Post
Hi
Sorry another Uni question, DD17 has completed UCAS form and now just needs school to do there bit and send off.
She has now put Chester Uni as well as Manchester Met but she wants to commute! Now Manchester is about half hour on public transport and Chester will be over an hour via tram and train.

What was your commute or what is your commute to Uni, she doesnt want to drive there as wants to learn to drive when shes a bit older. Tried a course of lessons but not for her yet.

Thanks, we are doing a campus tour at Chester in December so will do the journey she will have to do if she gets in there.

Thanks for any advice
I moved to uni for year 1. Got bullied. Moved home.

I then commuted 3 hours each way 2x a week for the final two years. Firs the second year I got the train, 2 hours to London and then an hour across. Missed so many lecturers due to train delays that in year 3 I drove. In year 3 I was only in 3 days a week. So I drove up Sunday evening and stayed at my friends. Then I drove home Monday evening.
Left home at 4.30am on Thursday, got to my friends around 8am, went to uni Thursday and Friday, left after 6pm Friday.

I worked full time as well. At the time it was fine. I wouldnt do it again now!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 02:05 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

It is worth checking what stance the Uni takes to.commuting students. Some Unis have a string live out student body so condense lectures. Winchester for example does fewer longer days per week so that people aren't commuting in for one lesson, or did lessons and tutorials in blocks of three - four hours to help commuting students.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

I was a mature student with a family so had no choice but to commute. It was 1-1.5 hr each way and the course was 5 days a week. You soon get used to it
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List