Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Aug 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
For me people are more important than places so I will continue to live close (or close enough) to the people in my life that are important.

I guess that's easy for me to say as I have lived in other countries both the US (not Florida) and the Caribbean, had the experience got it out of my system and returned. I can understand the need to have the experience.
Son would like to move to Winter Park, Winter Garden or Deland so we would be fairly near him!
Old 28 Aug 20, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Not unless my entire family moved too. And even then there are the healthcare issues.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Planned to move to Baltimore in 2008, scuppered by financial crash. Plan was then to move to Florida and go to the office in Baltimore once or twice a month.

Wouldn't move for work now, too close to retirement. Given sufficient income we'd move to Florida in a snap.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 20, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Just curious if someone from the UK moved to the states if they would still get their state pension?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I don't think I'd want to move to Orlando, but I'm sure there are lots of lovely areas in Florida that are less touristy and more like real America. We drove through some beautiful areas in New York state on a road trip so maybe a house up that way and a house in Florida.

I've spend many an hour day dreaming about living in various parts of USA, but it's just a day dream. USA has too many of it's own problems (not for this part of the forum) to make it somewhere that I would actually move to. I'm happy to just visit there and come back home.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 20, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Just curious if someone from the UK moved to the states if they would still get their state pension?
gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 20, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Assuming you were granted permanent residency in Florida if you wanted it would you move there.

Me and Mrs MH would have said yes many years ago, but we wouldn't move there now (nothing to do with coronavirus)?
Had similar thoughts - but I would miss UK too much. As Dorothy said ... “There’s no place like home”.

Plus any health issues would be problematic too.

Love visiting but don’t think living there would be suitable now.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 20, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

My plan (and for various reasons won’t happen now) was after retirement to spend just under three months in FL from September to just before Xmas, (return to U.K. for Xmas), then back to FL for three months, returning to U.K. for ‘summer’.

Repeat for as many years as possible

I thought that would make for a nice weather situation all round and would allow me not to miss friends and family too much
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
creamcake
Very Serious Dibber

No - because where would you then 'go on holiday' ?
A holiday is escapism, and home is reality.

Love the US (even though the US customs never seem to love me - hijabi wearing muslim ! ) but love my birth country more
Old 28 Aug 20, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Yes, would like to retire there.👍
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List