Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 14 Dec 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A Very Merry Orlando Christmas- Universal and Off-site December 2019 COMPLETED

So after a another wonderful trip in August with 8 nights at Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter, 8 nights at Royal Pacific Resort and a week at St Pete Beach, we decided to upgrade our Universal tickets to Annual Passes for our 14 night trip in December. We are staying at The Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando (we have stopped here for a couple of days previously) with a couple of nights at the start of our trip at Royal Pacific. It will be Michelle (me), Adam (DH), Cooper (DS12) and my parents, Mark and Gabrielle.

We really need some winter sun (we are Australian’s living in the U.K.) and as Cooper finished School at lunchtime yesterday we have made the journey to Manchester for our flight tomorrow. We checked into the Premier Inn at Runger Lane South (super cheap!) for the evening and have just had dinner at the Thyme Restaurant.

[APP]https://www.thedibb.co.uk/postImages/81257/b472fb352776b0.jpg

Dinner was average, having ordered Thai Chicken Curry, Steak and Ale pie, Asian Platter and 8oz steak with fries, none of us really enjoyed our meals. The service was great though. It was quite busy and we were advised at the time of check-in to make a dinner reservation. We appreciated the advice! Off to bed now as we have a morning flight to Heathrow and then onto Miami where we will pick up our hire care and drive straight to Orlando.

Thank you for reading and please forgive me any errors as this is my first dining report! 😬 xx

Travel Day

We are currently sitting at the Lion and Antelope having a quick breakfast. It’s located in Terminal 3 and there are several locations for food and coffee. The boys had bacon and egg barns (basically a bread roll) which they both enjoyed and I had whole meal toast with butter with coffee and water to drink. It was fresh and delicious.

Next stop - Heathrow!

Heathrow- we have arrived!

Flight was swift - 40 minutes in the air with a quick transfer between terminals and we have stopped for a quick bite to eat before our next flight.

Pret sandwich for Cooper - Chicken, avocado and basil and Yo Sushi for Adam and I - spicy chicken katsu roll. It was all delicious and the perfect portion. There is quite a bit of choice for eateries here too and I just realised that we flew out of this terminal in the summer! Next stop Miami

Heathrow to Miami on BA

Our flight was great, approximately 9 hours and it did go quite quickly. The food was ok, we all ended up ordering chicken with roasted vegetables and mash, the alternative was cauliflower mac and cheese. Of course the bread roll was hard and the Cous Cous salad had seen better days but I liked the chocolate pot and the cheese. Water was brought around numerous time and just prior to landing we were offered a mini magnum which was delicious and a Ruben sandwich with apple flapjack. I enjoyed the sandwich but gave Adam the flapjack (which he enjoyed!). It took us 1 hr from disembarking the plane to driving out in our hire car and from there is was just over a 3 hr drive and we were all ready for sleep when we got to the Rosen In at Pointe!

Our very laid back plan for today is Miller’s (wooohoo zingers!) Walmart for supplies and probably Bahama Breeze for dinner. Thank you for reading

Edited at 10:12 PM.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Denny’s Breakfast

So we were up early, a 6 am wake up after going to bed at 2am so we decided to just make to most of it and get moving! It was approximately a 20 minute walk to Denny’s and it was all very good. Adam has the Grand Slam, I had an omelette with my own choice of fillings and Cooper had the chocolate chip banana pancakes, these came with two eggs, bacon and hash browns and it completely defeated him we have suggested that perhaps he should be choosing from the kids menu as the portions are so large but he is completely offended by the idea I think this will be a work in progress! He also code a vanilla milkshake which he loved and I had a strawberry lemonade and Adam had coffee, he said it was good our meals came to about $38 + tip and the service was great.

We have been to Denny’s on our previous trips and it has always been great, todays visit was a perfect start to our Orlando holiday. Off to Walmart for supplies shortly!
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Tassiriki
Helping Minnie

Looking forward to a Christmas food report. We used to live in the Southern Hemisphere and it took a long time to get used to a cold Christmas 😂 Enjoy the winter sunshine.
Tassiriki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Tassiriki View Post
Looking forward to a Christmas food report. We used to live in the Southern Hemisphere and it took a long time to get used to a cold Christmas 😂 Enjoy the winter sunshine.
Thank you 😊 This is my first time at attempting a food report, I really enjoy reading them when other people post. I do love living in the UK but I desperately miss the warm weather- it’s a real treat to have a warm Christmas! Thank you for reading and also for commenting 😁
Old 16 Dec 19, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

Perfect timing as we’re flying out on Sunday for our first Xmas in Orlando so I’ll be eagerly following 😊

Great first few days!
Old 17 Dec 19, 02:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by sunseeker100 View Post
Perfect timing as we’re flying out on Sunday for our first Xmas in Orlando so I’ll be eagerly following 😊

Great first few days!
You must be so excited 😆 We were here for Christmas in 2017 and did Disney and loved it! This is different again as we are only doing Universal and only staying onsite at RP for 2 nights. We are doing SW and D.C. as well but this time is much more relaxed. The weather is lovely and we had a swim today too, you will have a great time! The Christmas decorations we have seen so far are beautiful 🎄 thank you for reading and commenting 😁
Old 17 Dec 19, 02:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Miller’s and Bahama Breeze

So we did a quick Walmart shop (only $130 &#128514 honestly that place is a trap! We had a swim and a rest this afternoon and as we hadn’t eaten since breakfast we decided on an early dinner at Miller’s. Adam has medium zingers and a side of fries (these were really seasoned/peppery which I liked but I’m not sure they would be for everyone), I had a medium zingers salad, Cooper had a kids hot dog meal with fries (he ate them all!) ,my Mum had the chicken fajitas and my Dad had the same as Adam. We had between us, a glass of sav blanc, 2 sodas, a beer and a cider and the bill was approximately $86 before the top. The service was good and the food was delicious. This is one of our ‘go to’ places and it didn’t disappoint.

So as it was still early, we decided to pop to Bahama Breeze for dessert! Adam loves Rebecca’s Key Lime Pie and I can always manage a cocktail. My parents went back to the hotel as they were exhausted and Cooper declined dessert and played on his phone instead

Both were great, the slice of pie was huge and my cocktail was delicious- very fruity but not too sweet. The bill was about $22 before tip and our Server was great, especially seeing as we only ordered a drink and dessert!

So whilst Cooper was on the phone he told us about Space X being launched tonight by Elon Musk. We walked back to the hotel just in time to go up to the balcony on one of the higher floors to watch it. It was wonderful to watch, especially as it wasn’t planned and I managed to film it and grab a couple of photos.

It was a great first day and we are really looking forward to getting to Royal Pacific tomorrow and the boys are excited to get back on all the rides at Universal and IOA. Thank you for reading!
Old 17 Dec 19, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Royal Pacific Resort, Universal, IOA, Hot Dog Hall of Fame

We were up early to have a quick bowl of cereal before moving to RPR. We checked in at 7am and were given our room key! We popped all our belongings straight into the room and went to Universal for a few rides before walking to IOA. Feeling a bit peckish, we bought some Cinnabon bites, followed by a frozen butter beer ($8.50) they were both delicious.

We managed a couple of rides on the hulk, Spider-Man and the Hagrid’s, this was even better than I remembered from August! After all our rides, we decided to head to the Hot Dog Hall of Fame. Cooper has the kids dog, Adam had the Boston Dog and I had the Chicago dog. With drinks and fries it was $42, the service was good and the food was tasty.

We then went back to Universal for a few more rides and picked up a big pink donut for this afternoon. These always surprise me by how fresh they are. We are off for some pool time and then back to the parks. Thanks for reading 😁
Old 17 Dec 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

A great start!
Old 18 Dec 19, 01:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
A great start!
Thank you, that is really kind!