Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 26 May 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile Gulf coast beach areas...

Other than Anna Maria Island, where is there that is a lovely beach side location on the gulf coast? Somewhere where we can walk to the beach, and somewhere to eat etc? We would want a house/villa, we won’t rule out a short drive but just wanted to know if there was anywhere else along the coast that is similar?

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hiya NtO - hope you and yours are well

We're SW Fl tarts, we enjoy Bokeelia on Pine Island and whilst we're not beach people we thoroughly enjoy the island pool.

Examples of where you may like, Sanibel and Captiva, tremendous beaches, take a 'drive' on the map I've set up for you HERE across Sanibel Causeway. Areas to stay include Naples, Cape Coral and Ft Myers Beach. I have a long list of things to see and do that may interest you depending on how long you plan to be in the area, shout if you want to see/peruse at your leisure I'm sure you'll like the area, we've never tired of it in over 20 years, but, for us, the cherry on top is Bokeelia and Pine Island.
Old 26 May 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Siesta Key
Old 26 May 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Anywhere pretty much between Pensacola, Destin and onwards to Panama on the Panhandle.
Anywhere pretty much between Clearwater and Naples on the better known part of the Gulf Coast.
You have quite literally hundreds of miles to choose from.
I would be delighted with any of the below and have sampled them all..
Pensacola Beach
Destin in front of Henderson State Park
Clearwater
Anna Maria
Holmes
Bradenton
Fort De Soto
Venice
Casperson
Naples
Delnor Wiggins State Park.

Others like Siesta Key, Treasure Island and Sanibel, but I cannot comment as I have not been.

It is really down to research and knowing what you want. For me, it would be Pensacola or Henderson State Park, but they are all stunning.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsox77
Very Serious Dibber

A big thumbs up for Treasure Island 👍😊
Redsox77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninnybobs
Apprentice Imagineer

Agree with all the recommendations above, but for me Fort Desoto is the greatest place on Earth, closely followed by Bokeelia/Pine Island, Lovers Key FortMyers, Cape Coral, Honeymoon Island and Sanibel and Captiva Islands.
Not a big fan of Clearwater, but love all the coast from Fort Myers up to Spring Hill.
Ninnybobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ninnybobs View Post
Agree with all the recommendations above, but for me Fort Desoto is the greatest place on Earth, closely followed by Bokeelia/Pine Island, Lovers Key FortMyers, Cape Coral, Honeymoon Island and Sanibel and Captiva Islands.
Not a big fan of Clearwater, but love all the coast from Fort Myers up to Spring Hill.
Hiya Ninny We liked nipping down to the Keys, but as Pine Island's Matlacha, SJC and Bokeelia is a Key to us we're very happy to stay put, it covers our needs very well
Old 27 May 20, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninnybobs
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hiya Ninny We liked nipping down to the Keys, but as Pine Island's Matlacha, SJC and Bokeelia is a Key to us we're very happy to stay put, it covers our needs very well
Hi Chris
Will be back on Bokeelia in late February (hopefully) if we can find a rental property close by. Can’t wait to visit Captain Cons and spend an evening fishing on the pier.

Going back to the original post, I should have added Apollo Beach to my list. The location ticks all the boxes with regard to travelling to different locations.
Ninnybobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hiya NtO - hope you and yours are well

We're SW Fl tarts, we enjoy Bokeelia on Pine Island and whilst we're not beach people we thoroughly enjoy the island pool.

Examples of where you may like, Sanibel and Captiva, tremendous beaches, take a 'drive' on the map I've set up for you HERE across Sanibel Causeway. Areas to stay include Naples, Cape Coral and Ft Myers Beach. I have a long list of things to see and do that may interest you depending on how long you plan to be in the area, shout if you want to see/peruse at your leisure I'm sure you'll like the area, we've never tired of it in over 20 years, but, for us, the cherry on top is Bokeelia and Pine Island.
Us too! We love Sanibel and I've just followed your link and ended up 'walking' from where we love - The Dolls House at Parrot Nest Cottages - to the beach. Now a bit teary Bliss to me is up at dawn to go shelling and watching all the seabirds feeding. Will go back ...

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ninnybobs View Post
Hi Chris
Will be back on Bokeelia in late February (hopefully) if we can find a rental property close by. Can’t wait to visit Captain Cons and spend an evening fishing on the pier.

Going back to the original post, I should have added Apollo Beach to my list. The location ticks all the boxes with regard to travelling to different locations.
Hi Ninny, if we do get out there, and you want accommodation let me know, I'll see what I can rake up - does it need to be on water/how long & how many bedrooms/number of guests/price et al. Just bear in mind Jan to March/April is high season.

One of the Dock Masters, who lives in Bokeelia, is a London lad, he's good to be on the pier with. I'm happy to help with anything I can Currently, and I know issues can change, there's 5 C-19 infections on the island, be canny if it could stay that way. I know I give much info out re SW Fl and confess I forget how much I bang out (chemo messed up short term memory), so ignore if I've given some afore. HERE is the live cam for Bokeelia Pier, if you look at the boxes down the left hand side you'll see live cams for Pineland Marina, Fourways Marina (on the left just afore the sharp lefthand bend to the pier), D&G, Berts and Gulf Coast Kayaks in Matlacha, Gasparilla, Ft Myers, Cape Coral and Castaways on Sanibel. There is some good preserves to visit on the island, and, the wonderful 5* Capt Bruce (HERE) with his 21' double bimini pontoon boat for heading into Pine Island Sound from Maria Road Marina, you're out for circa 7 hours and he charges $50pp, minimum of 4.

If you're interested in wildlife there's the North Fort Myers live cam for Harriett and M15 baldies. There's a thread dedicated to them and the NE Fl baldies HERE where you'll find links to the live cams.