Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Aug 19, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
jojo_3596
Imagineer

Doing Universal when staying onsite at Disney

How many Dibbers do this? We are staying for 14 nights at YC in August next year. Original plan was to do disney only as we know there is more than enough to keep us all occupied ( 2a 3c- 14,10,8). However, we skipped universal last year and getting a real universal itch for next time! cant decide if it's worth the splurge for tickets and spending a couple of days at US/ IOA.

Would best option be;
1) add on an extra 2 days to beginning of hol and stay at HRH for express pass ( most expensive option)
2)amend Disney booking to 12 nights and spend first two nights at HRH
3) just buy universal tickets and visit a couple of times during our Disney stay

Would love to hear how people have split their Disney/ universal time!

TIA
Endless Summer 2023
jojo_3596 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

I stayed at POFQ last year and spent 2 days at Universal - I just bought a 2 day ticket and got an Uber there and back both days.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

The last two trips staying on site we have spent a few days off site. In the past we just drove there and factored in the extra food / parking costs. (And took advantage of the ddp credits that weren’t used to pay for breakfasts / signatures

This time with the extra cost of onsite parking, we have split the holiday into Disney (on-site) and non Disney (villa). Though if the budget had stretched we’d have gone for a week at a universal deluxe
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jojo_3596
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I stayed at POFQ last year and spent 2 days at Universal - I just bought a 2 day ticket and got an Uber there and back both days.
Thanks- this may be what we end up doing. Did you buy the tickets in the US? I'm thinking you can only buy the 14 day tickets here which would seem a waste. Not sure what time of year toy travelled, but how did you find the queues?
Endless Summer 2023
jojo_3596 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
annedawso
Apprentice Imagineer

We found Universal quite busy, we stayed 10th -16th August this year. Wish we had had EP, as I hate queuing. Saying that managed to ride everything we wanted to, though we went park opening and returned to park for last hour or so.
We normally do a couple of days at Universal for last few days of holiday. By then we have had enough of DDP.
If it was us I would reduce Disney holiday by a couple of days and stay in a Universal hotel with EP. With money saved would pay for Universal.
Don't think much difference in price between 14 day pass and 2 day US pass for Universal.

LBV Resort and Spa- 2009
Emerald Island Villa -2013
OKW -2014 YC -2015
Tenerife and cruise in Med 2016
Easter 2017. BCV 7 nights, 6 nights GFV. 3 Portofino Bay
August 2017. YC 14 nights. 4 days Portofino Bay
August 18 -5 nights NY, 11 nights PORFQ
August 2019 10 nights AKL 6 nights Universal
AUG 2020 CSR 15 nights?
annedawso is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Team Thomson
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Team Thomson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We did the Disney onsite and just booked a couple of days direct form Universal when we were out there. We splurged and bought express passes to ensure we managed on everything. Uber to the park and back worked fine and was about $20 each way.

Kirsty, David & Kyle x

:
Team Thomson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jojo_3596 View Post
Thanks- this may be what we end up doing. Did you buy the tickets in the US? I'm thinking you can only buy the 14 day tickets here which would seem a waste. Not sure what time of year toy travelled, but how did you find the queues?
I bought the tickets on line - a company called Orlando Attractions who are very well thought of on here. They sell both the UK 14 day tickets and shorter length American ones. I got a 2 day hopper ticket so I could use the Hogwarts Express. I went to Orlando the last 2 weeks in September - spent a Sunday and Monday at Universal/IOA. I found the them very quiet, with no more than a 15 minute queue for the Harry Potter rides and everything else a walk-on. I did Escape from Gringotts on the Sunday afternoon 3 times on the trot! Here's a link to Orlando Attractions website if you're interested in checking them out. orlandoattractions/
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jojo_3596
Imagineer

Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
We found Universal quite busy, we stayed 10th -16th August this year. Wish we had had EP, as I hate queuing. Saying that managed to ride everything we wanted to, though we went park opening and returned to park for last hour or so.
We normally do a couple of days at Universal for last few days of holiday. By then we have had enough of DDP.
If it was us I would reduce Disney holiday by a couple of days and stay in a Universal hotel with EP. With money saved would pay for Universal.
Don't think much difference in price between 14 day pass and 2 day US pass for Universal.
Must admit I'm reluctant to do it without the express passes so this does sound the most attractive option at the minute. In an ideal world we'd extend the stay, but don't think we can justify the added expense. I see you did universal at the end of your hol. Would you advise this over doing it t the beginning?
Endless Summer 2023
Old 26 Aug 19, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
fleurbie
Apprentice Imagineer

I stay on site at Disney then spend one night in the middle at HRH this year RPR just take an overnight bag, tbh the price of express pases for a family would pay for its self but I got the room through Tesco club card and paid about £40 quid, last trip we put 4 on the room but only me and DH stayed it also gets you early entry plus 2 days of passes 😆
Nov 19 CBR, September 22 BRV, BWV 💕
fleurbie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Tkdisney
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile

Last year we stayed on site Disney and took an Uber over to universal on specific days. This was October and the parks didn’t have big queues. We go back in May 2020 and as we are expecting it to be busier have booked 1 nights at RPR for express passes in the middle of our Disney stay at YC.
Tkdisney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List