Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Oct 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Steve Florida
slightly serious Dibber

Atlanta Airport - questions, questions & more questions...

We are flying into Atlanta next year (Virgin) and then depart for Tampa (Delta). Does anyone know what happens when we arrive and what food options there are. My questions are:
  1. Which terminal will we fly into?
  2. Which terminal will we depart from?
  3. Do we clear customs at Atlanta?
  4. Do we collect our bags or are they checked all the way through from Manchester?
  5. Can you walk round to any concourse or are you restricted to speciifc ones?
  6. What food options are available for a bite to eat (mainly to make sure the fussy kids are fed)?
Steve Florida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Pottery
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lazzareo View Post
We are flying into Atlanta next year (Virgin) and then depart for Tampa (Delta). Does anyone know what happens when we arrive and what food options there are. My questions are:
  1. Which terminal will we fly into? WILL BE ON your booking
  2. Which terminal will we depart from? Will be on your booking
  3. Do we clear customs at Atlanta? Yes
  4. Do we collect our bags or are they checked all the way through from Manchester? Yes or no
  5. Can you walk round to any concourse or are you restricted to speciifc ones? Yes
  6. What food options are available for a bite to eat (mainly to make sure the fussy kids are fed)? Quite a few

seen above for answers
Pottery is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Steve Florida
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Pottery View Post
seen above for answers
If the aiprort we fly into and out from was on my booking I wouldn't have asked for help but its not but thanks for comfirming that we do clear customers and we can walk round all the concourses no problem.

I actually thought that with so many dibbers flying into Atlanta next year that my questions might help some anxious people including myself as flying indirect is not something we are used to.
Steve Florida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Carolynmf
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
You will arrive at the international terminal, go through immigration. You will have to pick up you cases, go through customs then drop them off again. You then get a train to your next terminal. There is a board with all the departing flights on that will give you the terminal and desk number.
There are food courts and restaurants running down the length of the terminals so you will be spoiled for choice. Atlanta is Deltas main hub.
We are transferring through there in 3 weeks time as it is our preferred airport.

Edited at 08:01 PM.
Carolynmf is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
jojo_3596
Imagineer

We flew via Atlantic last year and it was our first time indirect and I was anxious too- but honestly, it was so easy! Straight off and through immigration much quicker than MCO, got a monorail through to the departure terminal. We had a 2.5 hour layover and I was terrified of being delayed and missing connection, but it was so swift and straightforward we had over an hour sat waiting at the gate! It's a really well organised airport and all the staff were really helpful. Wouldn't hesitate to do again 👍🏻 Ps we were travelling in summer holidays with 3 kids
Endless Summer 2023

Edited at 08:08 PM.
jojo_3596 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
flywith.virginatlantic/g...s/atlanta.html
virginatlantic/conte...ctions-map.pdf

Virgin sent me the above links in an email as we are going indirect via at
Atlanta at the end of the month .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Steve Florida
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks everyone...this is really helpful information and makes me feel a lot better 👍
Old 2 Oct 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ladyofleisure
Excited about Disney

Transferred flights in Atlanta a few times as others have said its really quick and easy and everyone (IMO) so helpful and friendly the air train (between terminals) so quick and easy - good choice for indirect IMO.

A link to my 2020 trip to Los Angeles:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1161735

A link to my 2017 trip to POR and HRH is show below:
Star Wars, Bar Bores, Car Tours and No Chores!

A link to my 2015 trip to CBR and RPR is shown below:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...me+the +power
ladyofleisure is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lazzareo View Post
Thanks everyone...this is really helpful information and makes me feel a lot better 👍
Hiya Lazz, we transit via Atl en-route to Ft Myers so I concur with other Dibbers, I apologise if I've missed/mistaken anything, other Dibbers will advise if I have:

Disembark at the international terminal.

Thro immigration (no kiosks, you will queue to see an IO), F6059b Customs Declaration card now obsolete, declare any consumables, even if admissible, to the IO.

Pick luggage up, exit hall to the right of the luggage belt, short walk, turn left, hoy luggage back in for your Tpa flight.

You'll go thro security at this point.

Post security head downstairs for the terminal train.

Loads of places to eat and drink, you'll be reet

How to get between terminals at Atl - click HERE

HERE is a terminal map/other helpful into, the terminal train runs below all terminals, down the middle - ensure you hang on tight to the bairns/pole (try to sit if possible) as that train is a fast mover.

Perhaps keep an eye on how your flights are currently performing (UK to Atl and Atl to Tpa) via FlightAware. You'll see historic flight performances - it's not an exact science but you'll get some idea.

I'm assuming you're Delta from Atl to Tpa? Currently Delta fly to Tpa from Terminal A, but that doesn't mean it may not change by the time you fly next year. The FlightAware link I gave you shows your Atl departure terminal and Tpa arrival terminal.

If you have your confirmation numbers go to 'my trips' on Delta.com to see seat availability (unless already reserved of course). We find transitting at Atl to our Ft Myers departure gate can take anywhere between 75 mins to 120 mins - most wouldn't advise anything less than 2 hours, that said our Nov layover is 1 hour 50 mins.

You'll find a myriad of info by searching via Google too

Have a smashing holiday