Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jan 20, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

Cats meowing in the night!

Has anyone else got a cat who meows non stop at night?

He used to be fine until we moved house (3 and a half years ago) but since we’ve been here it’s almost every night! He sits at the bottom of the stairs and cries.

I’ve tried playing with the laser light with him just before bed and other toys, I’ve tried giving him more food at dinner time, we’ve left the lamp on for him, we’ve had the radio playing for him and have his favourite blankets laid out! He has access to all but three rooms (he doesn’t need to use our bathroom or en suite and they are kept out of one of the bedrooms).

I end up having to go and sit with him on the sofa until he falls asleep and then sneak out but that can take anything from 20 minutes to a few hours.

Then he starts again at 7am, but he changes tactic and jumps onto the headboard and dive-bombs us - we recently introduced an automatic feeder to see if that helps but he just comes in after he’s eaten!

The vet just suggests Feliway despite us trying it several times and it never helping.

Any other suggestions?! We’re genuinely looking at buying a bungalow as we think that’ll help 😂

Edited at 12:51 AM.
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

Our little darling cries . She started after her brother died 19 mnths ago and had just got louder and louder.
We thought she was missing him /getting a little senile she's 15. But now think she's just a Brat.
Nothing stops her ,food/treats/toys/attention/ She is really loud at 0300 and 0700.
She often sits at the top of the stairs crying at full volume for no apparent reason .Got to love her
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 01:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by storm View Post
Our little darling cries . She started after her brother died 19 mnths ago and had just got louder and louder.
We thought she was missing him /getting a little senile she's 15. But now think she's just a Brat.
Nothing stops her ,food/treats/toys/attention/ She is really loud at 0300 and 0700.
She often sits at the top of the stairs crying at full volume for no apparent reason .Got to love her
It’s so horrible, I hate it when they cry and there’s seemingly no way to help them stop.

He finally went to sleep at 12:00, then the other one decided to meow because she had a ‘present’ for us, which woke him back up and he’s started again

Brats they definitely are! They rule the roost!
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

I swapped from feliway to pet remedy when I was introducing a new cat. I bought the wipes as well as the plug-ins, just wipe it over the cat.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We had a cat that did this , 1am he’d kick off howling and making the most awful noises , got so bad the neighbours complained !
We had to rehome him in the end which I am NOT suggesting btw .
We still don’t know why he did it and neither did the vets,we tried everything .
He did stop in his new place but we’re not sure why .
Not much help sorry but really hope you find the answer
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

My little girl cries in the night when she's unsettled or lonely, like after a house move or if we've been away on holiday. It's heart wreching! The only things I could suggest are lots of attention which you're already doing. Will he sleep in your bedroom if you put a bed in there for him? Mine usually just wants to be with us.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

One of mine is a mobile nighttime yodeller - he is worse around clock changes for some reason as the seasons change. I think that we have mostly learned to sleep through...until he comes into the bedroom. 😀😼
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

We are having the exact same issue, with our british blue, Benny, aged 15. He never used to meow at all, ever, now its just over and over - early hours of the morning and randomly later in the day. He actually seems to be in a bit of a trance we think it might possibly be dementia although he is still fine in every other aspect, eating, knowing when its food time etc. (Running away from me when its time to go outside) He also loves a drink in the sink! Its a mystery like everything else about cats...

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Dutchdisneyfan
Apprentice Imagineer

Our older cat (started at 15) did this too. It started when she was turning blind according to the vet is was stress...
Dutchdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Our 13 year old cat has started to do this. It seems worse when our DD goes back to uni after a break or when we return from a holiday so I think it’s stress related 😢 We try to give him attention throughout the day but cats only want attention on their terms so it’s difficult if he’s not in the mood for a cuddle
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List