Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Apr 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lisa29 View Post
It says given names on this picture, not first given name like it says on the ESTA site. That is where my confusion came as my first given name is not my first name and middle name.
Again it says so in the help tool at the question.
It explains it all on the form. You just need to press the ? button as many others have said.
If you were confused as you said, did you press that button to get help?
I understand that it’s easy to miss, and I’m asking this in the hope of it being of benefit to those who haven’t already done their ESTA, not to the detriment of yourself Lisa.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by Woody252506 View Post
See post 17 of this thread

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...5#post13686515

Yes but that's from January. I had a reply in March stating it should be as on my passport.

Not that I'm saying anyone without the middle name will have a problem.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
nuff70
a Friend of the DIBB

We renewed our ESTA’s in January and didn’t add middle names. We went to Florida on 19th March and had no problems at all.
nuff70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
Actually, it doesn't. What it says is Given names (plural)
I think you are just being picky if I’m honest . It clearly means what it says on your passport in that box . My mum has only one name but it still days given names . So basically the esta is pointing you to the same box on your passport and it’s suppose to match it .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
It says given names on this picture, not first given name like it says on the ESTA site. That is where my confusion came as my first given name is not my first name and middle name.
When I did our estas last week it just said given name on the application , it said nothing about “first” given name , hence the post to help others not to nit pick.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
I think you are just being picky if I’m honest . It clearly means what it says on your passport in that box . My mum has only one name but it still days given names . So basically the esta is pointing you to the same box on your passport and it’s suppose to match it .
No, I wasn't being picky I was just pointing out that the passport nomenclature and the ESTA site are different. Your post implied they were identical - that's all.

It appears that you are very keen that everyone adds their middle name to the ESTA despite no evidence from anyone travelling that it really is required. Obviously, you have added your middle names to your ESTAs and that is great - you definitely won't have any issues getting in (as far as that requirement anyway). However, if people are happy that they will still get in despite not havng their middle names on their ESTAs (as has been the case with everyone so far) then that is their choice.

Although this is just conjecture, I would expect that the requirment is to reduce the number of false flags of people on the "No fly" list causing unneccesary work for CBP and unnneccesary delays for passengers. If you include all of your middle names then it is less likely that you will match someone with the same first name and surname that is on the "no fly" list. This actually happened to an old boss of mine that was delayed for 3 hours due to his first and last names matching someone on the list. He still got in but it was inconvenient for him and wasted a lot of time for the CBP officers dealing with it.

It would be a lot easier if the ESTA website simply said "All given names" rather than relying on someone to hover over the "?". After all, most people are aware of what their first given name is so wouldn't necessarily bother to seek further assistance.
Old 8 Apr 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Again it says so in the help tool at the question.
It explains it all on the form. You just need to press the ? button as many others have said.
If you were confused as you said, did you press that button to get help?
I understand that it’s easy to miss, and I’m asking this in the hope of it being of benefit to those who haven’t already done their ESTA, not to the detriment of yourself Lisa.
Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word confusion.

I know my first given name, so I did not feel the need to click on the question mark. Had it said first given names, I would have clicked the question mark to see if it meant middle names.

I don't see why they can't amend the website to say first given names rather than first given name.

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
No, I wasn't being picky I was just pointing out that the passport nomenclature and the ESTA site are different. Your post implied they were identical - that's all.

It appears that you are very keen that everyone adds their middle name to the ESTA despite no evidence from anyone travelling that it really is required. Obviously, you have added your middle names to your ESTAs and that is great - you definitely won't have any issues getting in (as far as that requirement anyway). However, if people are happy that they will still get in despite not havng their middle names on their ESTAs (as has been the case with everyone so far) then that is their choice.

Although this is just conjecture, I would expect that the requirment is to reduce the number of false flags of people on the "No fly" list causing unneccesary work for CBP and unnneccesary delays for passengers. If you include all of your middle names then it is less likely that you will match someone with the same first name and surname that is on the "no fly" list. This actually happened to an old boss of mine that was delayed for 3 hours due to his first and last names matching someone on the list. He still got in but it was inconvenient for him and wasted a lot of time for the CBP officers dealing with it.

It would be a lot easier if the ESTA website simply said "All given names" rather than relying on someone to hover over the "?". After all, most people are aware of what their first given name is so wouldn't necessarily bother to seek further assistance.
^^^^^bit in bold, this is exactly my thinking. First given name means first name and nothing else.

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 04:38 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

^^^^^bit in bold, this is exactly my thinking. First given name means first name and nothing else.
Hi Lisa, understandable logic for many (adding (s) on the end of a word seemed the answer) but the DHS argument may be updates are placed behind the ? therefore the official application must be read in full each time, irrespective of number of times one has applied.

As the DHS placed the 'no instant ESTA/72 hour' ruling banner at the top of the official ESTA site, perhaps they may do so if they begin name(s) enforcement.

The current red banner on the official site states:

'Citizens of participating Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries traveling to the United States are strongly encouraged to apply for an ESTA at the time of booking their trip and no later than 72 hours prior to departure'.
Old 13 Apr 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
pluto99
Very Serious Dibber

redone em now not taking the risk or maybe iam fingers crossed
pluto99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List