Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Jun 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Has anyone started a petition to get them to keep it?
Far too much is now not going to get finished anytime soon and left in its current state for years or not even started just to pamper to a few who probably have no idea what the story is about or links to the old days. Epcot has basically now been put hold in its current state for years, Tron not getting finished until probably 2022 at the earliest, it will be a complete mess.
Now is not the time to be doing this, soon people will have something else to complain about and this will be forgotten.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
"PC gone mad"?

Apart from the film which clearly was racist...what about the books?

Using the word “clearly” doesn’t make your statement a fact. As per my previous post, I saw nothing racist in the synopsis that I read.

What about the tar baby? It refers to a problematic situation this aggravated by attempts to fix it. In the book it was a means of capturing Br’er Rabbit. It was not a racial slur.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by YLL View Post
Today, the term "tar baby" is interpreted by many as a racial slur, and politicians have gotten in trouble for using it. But in its original context, it was a metaphor for a sticky situation that got worse the more one tangled with it.

The negative connotations started long after Disney made Song of the South - as in my post above, it's all about context.
It's used as a racial slur. The metaphor arose from the use of a black do not the other way around. And even if the use of a black "doll" in a film about slaves was just coincidence, the use of images can indeed change context over time and that cannot be ignored. You cannot use a swastika anymore due to its use by the Nazis. You have to accept it's image is changed in meaning.

But it was still racist back in the film to be fair.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

We like Princess and the Frog. Tianas Place on the Disney Wonder is probably our favourite Disney restaurant on and off site.

Can't quite get the connection to a mountain though - the story is set in the bayou, which is flat low lying water area.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Personally I’m not sure why they ever made a ride based on a film that wasn’t even released properly and has, since the year it came out, caused issue for people.

Rides change, it’s sad when it’s one you really like but at the end of the day, it’s a ride in a theme park. A theme park that Walt himself wanted to be constantly changing!

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Using the word “clearly” doesn’t make your statement a fact. As per my previous post, I saw nothing racist in the synopsis that I read.

What about the tar baby? It refers to a problematic situation this aggravated by attempts to fix it. In the book it was a means of capturing Br’er Rabbit. It was not a racial slur.
The Wikipedia page has more detail on the controversy around the film, I don’t think you’ll get much of the racist connotations just from the film synopsis.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Lau-nicole
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Any suggestions for the names of the new dwarfs?
If this is directed at me - no I don’t.

My point was moving forward hopefully Disney will continue to develop more diverse and inclusive characters that young girls and boys can identify with.

This movie needs more love in the parks and I’m really looking forward to it. The concept art looks beautiful 😊

Lau-nicole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnyDuck
Serious Dibber

I find this a bit sad too.

I love this ride. Love Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah !
DonnyDuck is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
My issue is where do you stop? I'm fairly sure the term "dwarf" is now offensive & shouldn't be used, so let's get rid. Pochohontas was underage so John smith was a sexual predator- get rid, Sebastian clearly a parody of Caribbean people - get rid, Merida- not all scottish people have ginger hair - get rid & it goes on & on
To be totally inclusive they now need, urgently, a film & ride where the main characters are gay, trans, no-binary, gender neutral & the 35 other genders at the minute...
If they think that changing a ride somehow stops racism... & still I return to a point in my last post Mr W Disney is heavily rumoured to have been both anti Semitic & racist so just close everything
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
My issue is where do you stop? I'm fairly sure the term "dwarf" is now offensive & shouldn't be used, so let's get rid. Pochohontas was underage so John smith was a sexual predator- get rid, Sebastian clearly a parody of Caribbean people - get rid, Merida- not all scottish people have ginger hair - get rid & it goes on & on
To be totally inclusive they now need, urgently, a film & ride where the main characters are gay, trans, no-binary, gender neutral & the 35 other genders at the minute...
If they think that changing a ride somehow stops racism... & still I return to a point in my last post Mr W Disney is heavily rumoured to have been both anti Semitic & racist so just close everything
SD
From a personal perspective I’d like to add in ‘baldism’ which is unfortunately rife. We are open season. Minions should be removed as it portrays us baldys as evil.
Old 26 Jun 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post

I am no expert in this subject which is why I refrained from comment in relation to the racial aspect of the film.

However, there is a long post on Universal forum (in their Disney section) which discusses the aspects of the film. Apparently, the song "zip a dee doo dah" in itself has racial connotations, but again I don't have the expertise to be able to explain them.

In regards to the film, I have seen it and there are racial stereotypes within the film and fully understand why it is deemed offensive and why Disney have not released the film.

I can however understand their reasoning for removing it but still don't understand why they've settled on Princess and the Frog which to me suggests that this was a last minute reaction to the pressure they're under, rather than something they have planned for some time.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread