Direct with airline 173 67.58%
High street agent 25 9.77%
Online agents 58 22.66%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Oct 19, 04:34 AM  
Link to this Post
braby
Serious Dibber

The last time I booked with an Agent was 2004, since then I've always found it to be easier and cheaper to book every thing myself.
I work in the travel industry and have seen the issues when an Agent goes out of bussiness and also just day to day issues when bookings are wrong and airlines don't want to know and give the standard response of "contact your travel agent". For me, by booking direct I can remove one link in the chain that can possibly go out of bussiness.
braby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

DIY direct with airline for Florida trips . I have booked all my cruise trips through TC in the past . Indeed my next cruise is booked through Thomas Cook too. Booking is safe.
I find it easier to book flights myself.
However I have used Charter Travel in the past too for other non Florida trips.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsSevSpaghetti
Getting Excited

Mobile

I priced up Disney with all the major travel companies. They were all thousands more expensive than doing it myself.
I think especially with Disney I don’t know what they are offering. Disney transports you from the airport, it’s not like you are going to have a holiday rep when you are there. Seemed like money for nothing.
MrsSevSpaghetti is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

The only time I could see myself booking a package now would be a heavily reduced late one.
I don't tend to do single centred holidays and most multi centre's are vastly inflated in price even when they do the exact combination I'm looking for.
DIY I have complete control , yes it takes more time and effort but it gives more flexibility too, I can tweak hotels if plans change or prices drop and can deal direct with the carriers.
Last month I was due to fly BA LGW FLL but when I checked in at 24 hours there was a delay of three to four hours already listed. I'd booked through a third party using an AA code share. As i had this came under AA change rules rather than BA's. BA wouldn't have let me change but AA were happy to move me to any of their own or BA's flights LHR to MIA that there was an AA flight number for. We flew BA from LHR at our original flight time for no extra charge. I was happy to pay an extra £20 in cab fare (Heathrow is slightly further for me than Gatwick) rather than kick my heels at Gatwick for hours. We were even able to change our lounge booking from Gatwick to Heathrow (and No 1 were great in not charging us any extra even though the Heathrow lounge is more expensive)
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mrs togs
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I have done both, but do like the face to face booking with our local virgin rep
Old 8 Oct 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I must say, I have never booked a holiday with a travel agent. Always do it DIY.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
sammi71
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 22
Mainly booked myself, normally direct. Only ever used Virgin Holidays once and that was because I got an incredible deal over Christmas one year
sammi71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List