Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Oct 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

HR / work strange issue

I work as a Financial Controller in a Finance department of 7 individuals. the Head of Finance (my boss) has implemented a flat hierarchy so we all report directly into her (qualified FC, assistants, credit control, banking).

Within the team there is two qualified accountant FC, myself and my colleague (J) who over the 3 years I've been here has had two years off on maternity and is returning in Feb 2020. Prior to this, J was the operational lead of the department (our HoF is part time and often not around so we need someone to lead the team day to day).

The first mat leave a contractor took over the role of mat leave cover team lead (and subsequently went off with stress so in reality I took on the role back then, but that's another story). J came back part time and only for only 3 months so didn't really go back into her old role and just did ad hoc work. Since J went on mat leave for the second time, I have again taken on 90% of the role of the operational lead. My boss recognized this back in May and gave me a slight pay increase (nowhere near the salary of J). There was a promise that she would sort my role out to be team lead but needed to investigate how to do that whilst J was on mat leave as you have to be careful (it would involve J being officially demoted).

A few weeks ago my boss received a promotion which would mean she was hardly around any more (FD of multiple sites so lots of travel) so she told me she needed me to take on a lot more responsibility. I asked what would happen to my role and she said she would speak to HR and get back to me.

She's called me into her office this morning and said unfortunately there is nothing she can do with regards to demoting J and promoting me until J comes back from mat leave.

I am understandably peeved, as I have been doing this role now for a good while with little recognition. It's not just the financial side, it's the job title and the message to the rest of the business that I am now a senior member of staff. Also, there is a big announcement today with a new company structure and my name should be there as Finance Site Manager but it's not because of this issue. So she is backfilling this slide with her name, even though operationally I am doing that role! Which is a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Love to hear the DIBB thoughts of whether to just suck it up and wait or challenge this?

Just to add - J is coming back again part time and this role is a full time role so there's no chance she will be put back into that role and I think she has realized that. Also my boss wasn't happy with the state of things whilst she was in the role, so I am confident the promotion is coming my way, it's just timing.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post

I have to agree with them, that demoting someone whilst they are on mat leave and promoting someone else into their role would be a very bad move indeed.

Even if she was not on mat leave, this is not something an employer could easily do, the incumbent needs to be given the opportunity to improve first, employers can not demote at will. This probably will need to wait until she starts return to work conversations and hopefully will step aside as she doesn't want the full time role.

Could you suggest they appoint and compensate you as "Acting team lead" (or whatever) in the meantime?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

I would be tempted to ask HR to review your current job description as it no longer describes your role (but I do not have experience in this area). However, as a precaution I would recommend that you keep written notes about what has been discussed with you, changes to your role, and timelines as well as copies of any emails just in case.

Good luck

Edited at 12:15 PM. Reason: already bumped!
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Two things have struck me. If the Head of Finance has now been promoted and moved on then doesn't that create an additional post that she formerly filled? Over and above the one you have been doing.
Secondly if the incumbent HOF is part time then why cant the lady on mat leave be part time?

I am no expert in HR but pregnancy is one of the protected characteristics under Equalities Act so in reality when you took on the extra/additional work it was in the expectation that your colleague would return to the same level/same post. It isn't really relevant in law that she had two back to back maternity periods she still retains the same rights. I actually think its a little mean to expect her to be demoted because she hasnt been there to do the post due to maternity leave. I do understand your frustration but when you took on the role you knew the circumstances. It was unfair of them not to remunerate you in accordance with that.

I agree with Rabel that a evaluation of your post is more appropriate but bear in mind that you peer will return and the review will be in line with that so possibly only for a temporary period.

It may also be that this is the opportunity that you are able to take on some of the duties, and pay increase, the former HOF carried out that she has since been promoted out of, if that makes sense.

Edited at 01:07 PM.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I think you should have been put as “acting” whilst she’s on mat leave, but nothing can be done on a permenant basis whilst she is on mat leave as that is her job.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
J came back part time and only for only 3 months so didn't really go back into her old role and just did ad hoc work.

It's not just the financial side, it's the job title and the message to the rest of the business that I am now a senior member of staff.
Stay calm do nothing.
Park any feelings towards J.
This may well sort itself out without you doing anything.

Could turn out J will not integrate fully post restructure given increased demands at home.

That apart, from your post it appears you deserve more pay and a more appropriate title, based on expected responsibility and workload.
Often similar situations are remedied by equalising salary, whilst not officially promoting with title.
Having been through several restructures, it's typical that new management see the job title not the person. In other words, although you may have been fully capable of covering J, you will be recognised based on your present status, not your actual value in the workplace.

In a nutshell, your boss has been kicking the can down the road for a good while.
Yes, their hands are tied with respect to J, but they should have bumped you up the pay scale, and given you official recognition with an 'acting title' or even split the role between you and J, without officially 'demoting' her.

I would be quietly looking for something else tbh.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

There are ways around this dilemma. If a new position has opened up due to a promotion they should be advertising it internally including advising J of this. Then people should be interviewed if they apply. If it is a full time role they can put this in the advert.
As you both have the same role but different to what the promotion will be this is a perfectly legal way of doing this. Companies however are always worried about doing this stuff while people are on maternity leave and normally just leave it to when they return.
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Thanks all for your valid opinions

Just want to clear up a few misunderstandings;

The role of team lead cannot be part time due to having to directly oversee a team of staff who work full time. So J can no longer fulfil that role as she wants to come back part time, and knows she will be bumped back to the FC role. She is happy with that as her priorities have changed. I suppose the reason the HoF has been able to do a part time role is because muggins here (me!) has been overseeing everything. There is nobody else in the team qualified or experienced enough to oversee the finance function whilst HoF isn't here.

I am actually good friends with J so none of this is personal

She isn't being demoted due to the fact she is on maternity leave, it's because she is wanting to come back 3 days a week and the role is a full time role. So she is being offered an alternative role (FC).

I think, whilst I do feel like the company have handled this badly, i will just sit tight and wait it out.

(I am also tentatively looking for other roles, due to an impending house move and a dislike of commuting!)

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
Thanks all for your valid opinions

Just want to clear up a few misunderstandings;

The role of team lead cannot be part time due to having to directly oversee a team of staff who work full time. So J can no longer fulfil that role as she wants to come back part time, and knows she will be bumped back to the FC role. She is happy with that as her priorities have changed. I suppose the reason the HoF has been able to do a part time role is because muggins here (me!) has been overseeing everything. There is nobody else in the team qualified or experienced enough to oversee the finance function whilst HoF isn't here.

I am actually good friends with J so none of this is personal

She isn't being demoted due to the fact she is on maternity leave, it's because she is wanting to come back 3 days a week and the role is a full time role. So she is being offered an alternative role (FC).

I think, whilst I do feel like the company have handled this badly, i will just sit tight and wait it out.

(I am also tentatively looking for other roles, due to an impending house move and a dislike of commuting!)
Personally, I had thought your post was clear and I had not misunderstood any of the above points.

I still do not think that, at this point, they can make these changes whilst J is on maternity leave. She is off until February, for all anybody knows she might decide (or have a change in circumstances and need) to come back full time and she is entitled to take her time coming to that decision. She should not be forced into it four or five months too early.

I also think that re-issuing a structure chart showing the woman on maternity leave reduced to a lower role would not be good for the employer branding! Not everybody is going to be up to speed with the details and I don't think it is the type of image many company's would want, most try to promote being flexible and supporting women in the workforce these days.

However I think the mistake being made is in not properly recognising your temporary (for now) increased level of responsibility whilst your colleague is on maternity leave. I think highlighting your increased responsibilities through the use of an "Acting" job title would be appropriate.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I don’t think I misunderstood anything, but I’m sure they can’t make the changes whilst she is on maternity leave and therefore everything has to wait until she comes back. That’s why really you should be classed as acting until then.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List