Notices

Old 22 Jul 08, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post

"Going Home in October" pre trip report

Firstly, lets introduce you to who is "Going Home in October":

Me (39 (well for a few more weeks)) 5th trip to wdw, favourite ride Rock’n’Roller Coaster staring Aerosmith.
DW (32) 5th trip to wdw, loves everything Disney, favourite ride the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.
DS (5) 3rd trip to wdw, favourite character Goofy and cannot wait to ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad this trip.
DD (2) 2nd trip to wdw, favourite Princesses Jasmine and Belle.

Hi, this is our first ever pre trip report posting hope you enjoy, before writing about our forthcomming trip, I would like to take the opportunity to provide a brief background to the events leading up to this trip and to do this I need to take you back to our last Disney trip during April/May 2007, when we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge;

My son and I had just been on the Indy Speedway and was greeted with “I’ve just arranged for us to have a tour of the Disney Vacation Club Saratoga Springs resort” from my DW when exiting the ride, it’s something we had thought about doing previously, but ! , anyway a couple of days latter we went on the tour, sat with the vacation club guide talked through the various points options, cost, benefits of ownership and so on, we left saying that we would sit down and think about the pro’s and con’s over the next couple of days and let them know our decision, I must say that at no time did we ever feel pressured by the representative.

A couple of days later we closed on the new villas at Animal Kingdom Lodge, which we could now officially call “home” and returned home to the UK knowing that the post Disney blues would not be as bad this time as we would returning “home” sometime in 2008.

We decided on mid to end of October 2008 and by last November had booked our flights with Virgin, arranged our stay at AKLV with DVC, booked Disney Magical Express, set our DIBB countdown clock and now all we had to do was wait 11 months. Whilst the US dollar rate remained high we took advantage of this and started to purchase dollars and travellers cheques over the coming months.

One of the main reasons for in choosing October, other than it being school half term was that it would be our daughters third birthday, during our last trip we celebrated our sons 4th Birthday at Chief Mickey. For our DD birthday we have booked lunch at Cinderella’s Royal Table and now just need to organise her birthday cake, we have also made ADR’s for the following restaurants;

Wilderness Lodge – Whispering Canyon, dinner and will be asking for the ketchup !
Animal Kingdom - Tusker House, breakfast
Epcot - The Rose and Crown, lunch
Contemporary - Chief Mickey, dinner
Animal Kingdom Lodge – Boma, dinner (Last Night)

We have also booked tickets for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party, just need to organise outfits now.

We will be spending the whole two weeks at Disney and have a rough plan as to which parks we will visit and when, but this usually changes on or during the day, am thinking about taking our DS to Kennedy Space Centre for the day though.

One thing for certain is that our first day will be in the Magic Kingdom (where else) and following on from last year, the first thing we will do when we get to the plaza in front of the castle will be to ask the children which land and ride they would like to go on first, last time it was Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, but DD did not have much to say in it then, so will see this time!

Whilst in the parks and at the resort, we are going to do a spot of Hidden Mickey hunting to see how many we can find and have just bought the latest book, we also are looking to go to the DVC “Welcome Home Wednesday” meet at Boardwalk, has anyone been, what can we expect ?.

Will now spend the time counting down the days (under 90 now) by watching previous Disney holiday & planning dvd’s, dibbing and before we know it the suitcases will have come down from the loft ready for packing, surprised that they are not down already !

Will keep you posted.

Edited at 10:47 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 08, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Sounds like a great trip you have planned.

Looking forward to reading your reports on your return.
We tried to get a room at AKLV for our trip in December but there was nothing left. Hopefully we will get to stay there in the very near future.
Old 22 Jul 08, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds brilliant, will look forward to reading all about it when you get back.
Old 22 Jul 08, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
A great start 'neighbour'.
We bought points at AKV last year and took our first trip 'home' this Easter. Brilliant.
Just be warned - we came back and decided to add on to our points, just arranged this last week. So excited.
Sorry, never been to the Welcome Home Wednesday's so I will be interested to hear what you think of this.
Have a wonderful trip and I'm looking forward to reading all about it when you return.
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List