Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 28 Jul 23, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Stupid trip report question but how do you do it?

I love reading them on the dibb. I would some evenings literally spend hours reading the adventures, dining, rides and sometimes great ideas of fellow Dibbers, however when it comes to taking photos and writing one I can never seem to write as well or have any decent photos at the end of our holidays to do it justice.

So to all those that have ever produced reports, and yes I'm in awe of the lot of you, how do you do it?

Old 28 Jul 23, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’m quite factual and not the best ‘writer’ but the way I do my trip reports is as follows:

1. Make notes throughout the days - in Florida I do this in queues etc

2. Take plenty of photos (I do this regardless) as these help prompt me to remember little details

3. I either write the report live or as soon as I get back which means I remember more to fill in the details

I like reading back about my past trips so it’s worth the effort 😁
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 23, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I always take lots of photos wherever I am. But when I have a trippie in mind I take extra - some for showing in report, some as details prompts.

When I get back I type up in word, with photos put in a folder to add at the right points. Then put on the dibb one day at a time!

I'm doing it slightly differently this time ad we are currently doing the opposite of WDW in that it's the NC500. I've got the 1/2 highlights in a thread and will expand each day when we get home.

Give it a go ... you will have a record on here forever (although I have photos missing in my older ones as ths dibb changed photo adding several years back and I've never got tound to back filling them!).
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 23, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I have to do it live otherwise I wouldn’t do it.

I think I write too much and need to cut that down.

However, it’s a great to re-read after a couple of years and remember the things you did so I don’t mind writing too much even though I know some people like less words.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 23, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I do it each evening or the following morning. My family all share their photos with me via a shared folder on their phones. They take more photos than me these days.

I actually write mine on my blog in Wordpress as I find it easier to edit and add the photos and then I copy it across to the Dibb afterwards.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 23, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I write them live and as a story to be updated each evening. I like to think that this technique is a success.

I set up a thread before I commence the vacation, title it, write the approximate itinerary and then reserve the first 20 or so posts by writing something in each, just a few words such as
“Wednesday 6 July , Seaworld’.
I then have sufficient consecutive posts for my purposes.
The current, excellent and ongoing trippie of Babbymint is in this same format.

I start my vacation and take loads of images.
Each evening over some wine, I write up that days activities.. honestly, with all the ups and downs and most of all whilst it is fresh in my mind. Meantime, Mandie is doing her scrapbook. We tend to be back in our accommodation early and then up and out the following morning, so this fits in well with our schedule.
If something is a mistake, then I detail it for the benefit of those following.
If something is good, then likewise.

When I have written up, I go further on the thread, after the last post and notify that my update is in place for that day..

My aims in writing these trip reports are multiple.
1. It provides me with a decent, contemporaneous report of my travels that I frequently read over a glass of wine, during the cold winter months when I am relaxing with little to do.
2. It is fun writing the reports and I try to insert a little humour within the text.
3. I try to make them informative and helpful for any who might be planing similar trips, a guide if you like, glossing over the mundane such as what I ate for breakfast and concentrating on the stuff that I have learnt and that may be of use to others.
A thorough write up on how to obtain tickets on the BART in SFO, imho much outweighs an image of my son eating a bagel.
4. Most of us have a budget and at the conclusion of my report, I post a table of every single expenditure, right down to a single dollar bus fare. Whilst many might say that their vacation cost £6000, they are only referring to flights, accommodation and park tickets, not transport, snacks, meals, tatt, tips etc etc. I am prepared to divulge EXACTLY what the vacation cost.
5. I think a good trip report is humorous and occasionally, self critical. We all make mistakes and sometimes, detailing those mistakes may be of more assistance to a reader than a glowing report of the wonderfulness (is that a word?) of a trip, written 6 months later and through Rose Tinted Glasses. Reality ain’t like that!

Having written my trip report, I then frequently read it (and my others), in the months following, adding images, correcting spelling & grammar and generally improving my effort. My trip reports are never truly complete!

If you have a look at my 2022 report of California, Arizona Nevada, or my 2023 report on Vancouver, Oahu and Seattle, you will get the idea.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:36 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 23, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

I am going on a cruise soon so will give it a bash I want to kind of also write the highs and lows of each day a lot of YouTubers give a really false impression of cruising but I also want to be able to look back on it and read my previous reports.

Old 29 Jul 23, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I've used various methods over the years. As Lizzi said, take lots of photos as these help jog your memory, I also like the time stamp on them as this can be helpful.

Years ago I started out with a notebook and pen and wrote each day as a diary then typed up and did photos when we returned.

Another year I did voice notes on my phone, just short 30 second summaries of what we'd done or funny things that had happened.

Last year I had an open word document on my phone and typed up bits every time we were on a bus or had a bit of downtime, so it was all written live. This made it far less time consuming to post on here as all I had to do was upload and insert all the photos.

However, the trip is for you, so just write what you want to remember...yes it's lovely if others find your trippie enjoyable and/or informative, but primarily I write my trippies so that I can remember them and have something to look back on so just write what you want!

Instagram: abbyi_nwonderland

New pre trip report - Summer 2024

Link to all my completed trip reports 2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston. 2018: Orlando. Berlin. 2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC. 2020: DLP. 2021: Jamaica. Rome. 2022: Orlando. 2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 23, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Notes on my phone at convenient times - in a long queue or when we stop for a drink or meal.

Photos on my phone.

DH makes videos so those jog the memory too.

Don’t leave it as long as I did this time - still working on the last two days of our November trip!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 23, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

I just posted pics mainly of cake on my first trip report
Easily done 😋😋😋

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List