Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think will happen to Disney when Epic Opens
They will benefit from Epic and get even more business. 25 5.24%
Universal becomes a week long destination and Disney lose business. Not much fight back for years. 157 32.91%
Disney initially lose business, then bounce back with no real expansion. 61 12.79%
Disney initially lose business and this makes them invest heavily to fight back. 79 16.56%
Disney stays about the same. 155 32.49%
Voters: 477. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 24, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
#21
Pep
Imagineer
 
Pep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 17
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Comcast seems to have lot bigger pockets than Disney (better leadership). Theyíll poach Disney staff by offering more money, which will again reduce Disneyís profits.
Maybe but Disney currently pay more than comcast if comcast ups their pay the cost will be past on to the customer thus making their product out of reach for some.
Which ever way it all goes I'm fascinated
Pep is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 24, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
#22
YorkshireT
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Jun 16
Location: God's Own Country
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
Maybe but Disney currently pay more than comcast if comcast ups their pay the cost will be past on to the customer thus making their product out of reach for some.
Which ever way it all goes I'm fascinated
Yes it will be very interesting next year, and it wouldnít surprise me if I was wrong.
If Disney do go with definite investment and new attractions, it will be interesting to see when they do it. This year? Next. But no way could they then afford 5 year build times again, as we wonít see anything until nearly 2030.
__________________
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 24, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
#23
Nanna Frozen
Apprentice Imagineer
 
Join Date: Sep 23
Location: Durham
Disney will definetely have to at the very least deal with the issues that are currently putting people off.

We have, especially in the last ten years or so, been much bigger Universal fans than Disney, visiting twice a year with Annual Passes and staying exclusively at Royal Pacific.

DH is a massive movies fan, and we enjoyed a few hours in the parks on a morning with a nice long rest in the afternoon by the pool. We also did multiple visits to Seaworld, Busch Gardens and of course Disney, with a few split stays between Disney/Universal.

When our DGD came along, we started to see through the parks through her eyes, we had an amazing trip to DLP a couple of years ago and now finally we are taking her to Florida this year. We wonít be visiting Universal though as there is very little there that we think she will like at age 6.

My point is, there are people who donít really identify with the Universal parks, and Iím not sure the new technology will be a draw for everyone.

I like both, but Iím not really excited by the theming of Epic, Iím not a Nintendo fan, How to Train your dragon is a very old film, DH will be interested in the Classic Monsters.

We will be avoiding Epic until the madness dies down ( remember the Harry Potter 9 hr Que to get in!) and then we will see.

I guess there will be plenty of people, the type who HAVE to be seen to be there and tell the world about it, who will join the crazy crowds though!
Nanna Frozen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 24, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
#24
YorkshireT
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Jun 16
Location: God's Own Country
Originally Posted by Nanna Frozen View Post
Disney will definetely have to at the very least deal with the issues that are currently putting people off.

We have, especially in the last ten years or so, been much bigger Universal fans than Disney, visiting twice a year with Annual Passes and staying exclusively at Royal Pacific.

DH is a massive movies fan, and we enjoyed a few hours in the parks on a morning with a nice long rest in the afternoon by the pool. We also did multiple visits to Seaworld, Busch Gardens and of course Disney, with a few split stays between Disney/Universal.

When our DGD came along, we started to see through the parks through her eyes, we had an amazing trip to DLP a couple of years ago and now finally we are taking her to Florida this year. We wonít be visiting Universal though as there is very little there that we think she will like at age 6.

My point is, there are people who donít really identify with the Universal parks, and Iím not sure the new technology will be a draw for everyone.

I like both, but Iím not really excited by the theming of Epic, Iím not a Nintendo fan, How to Train your dragon is a very old film, DH will be interested in the Classic Monsters.

We will be avoiding Epic until the madness dies down ( remember the Harry Potter 9 hr Que to get in!) and then we will see.

I guess there will be plenty of people, the type who HAVE to be seen to be there and tell the world about it, who will join the crazy crowds though!
I think it may be my next park visit but like you I will wait for the madness to die down. If Iím still breathing, maybe 2027.
__________________
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 24, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
#25
Pep
Imagineer
 
Pep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 17
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I think that ĎEpicí will be a seismic game changer.

What is Disney?
Disney is about MM and his mates? Well, we have nostalgic adults, those who go there because they always do and those who think their children will love it because they did.. But those people are getting older.
Disney is about Star Wars. How many of the current and next generation relate to a Film Series emanating from the 1970s?
Disney is about ĎThe magicí, ĎPixie Dustí and all that stuff.. well this seems in short supply these days.
Disney is about people who are financially ( and emotionally) invested through CDC.
Disney is about their rather overpriced on site resorts.
Disney is seemingly now about complacency, stagnation and under investment.

What is Universal?
Universal is about Harry P, currently as big and current a franchise as exists.
Universal is about very up to date and modern themes such as Simpsons, Jurassic Park, Kong, Superheroes, Nintendo etc etc as well as Shrek and co.
Universal is now about many different price levels of resorts to cater for all budgets.
Universal is about constant change, expansion and improvement. It is of today and the future.

What is Orlando?
Orlando is currently predominantly about Disney, but Universal is of growing importance. It is wholly and solely about Theme Park related tourism.
Orlando is other than the above, a City in a swamp area that used to rely on Orlando Air Force Base (which was a huge employer).

What will happen with this huge, Universal investment?
I believe that Universal will now be competing with Disney on a more or less even basis, rather than as an adjunct to WDW that some used in addition to WDW.
I believe that Universals investment through new resorts has been in preparation for the coming of ĎEpicí.
I believe that their main customers (US Citizens) have short vacations and that now it will be either Disney or Universal, with Universal inevitably ramping up ticket prices. Universal will now be a genuine alternative to WDW, rather than just an occasional Ďas well así.

In short, I believe that unless Disney either invest in heavily in their Theme Parks or drop their prices, they may no longer be ĎTop dogí. They may become simply an alternative or even an Ďas well así.

Great question!
Some good points but I think your seriously over estimating universals franchises while at the same time under estimating Disney's.
Potter has lots of fans and Nintendo has had recent success but simulator to Disney they rely heavily on nostalgia
The other universal franchises are mainly irrelevant apart from marvel which they can not develop anymore because of Disney ownership and the Simpsons which their licence runs out soon as its owned by Disney Also.
Disney is more geared to little ones with Disney plus promoting their franchises into over 100 million people's homes every day. The MCU think (Gardians) Starwars think (mandalorian) Pixar think (toy story
5) and Disney movies think (frozen 3) as well as Encanto which believe me is huge I've been to enough Encanto birthday parties with my 6 year old over the last few years to know. Add to all this the classic Disney Caracters that still remain popular I think Disney with some investment in their core franchises keeps universal at arms length.
Time will Tell but hopefully the consumer will be the winner with competition bringing out a better product from both sides.
O and I forgot Avatar 🙃

Edited at 08:36 PM.
Pep is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 24, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
#26
DisneyYoda
Imagineer
 
DisneyYoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 14
Location: Wiltshire
2030. Universal Epic Fantasy park opens in Orlando. Any takers?

With a huge high tech interactive castle as itís centre piece! 😀

Edited at 08:24 PM.
DisneyYoda is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 24, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
#27
lfc_sarah
Imagineer
 
lfc_sarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 11
Location: Nottingham
I think people will spend more time at Universal hotels and parks and Disney will lose custom.

People from the UK will still do Disney as well but I think we will see a lot more split stays unless Disney hotels bring back better perks to staying there for the whole duration.
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 24, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
#28
Mexy02
VIP Dibber
 
Join Date: Oct 12

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I think it will pull more adults into Orlando towards universal . I donít know why it I always see it as more of an adult park anyway and maybe epcot will benefit as thatís the adult park of Disney . If anything I think Disney will fight for the shorter length visits, where the bigger money is , by giving better incentives but that will lock out the longer term for Brits like 14 day tickets etc.
__________________
LBV Spa resort October 2013
Bahama bay October/Nov 2015, Disney contemporary oct 2015, Loews rpr Nov 2015
Bahama bay October /Nov 2017, Disney contemporary oct 17 , AKL , GF
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 24, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
#29
Mexy02
VIP Dibber
 
Join Date: Oct 12

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I think that ĎEpicí will be a seismic game changer.

What is Disney?
Disney is about MM and his mates? Well, we have nostalgic adults, those who go there because they always do and those who think their children will love it because they did.. But those people are getting older.
Disney is about Star Wars. How many of the current and next generation relate to a Film Series emanating from the 1970s?
Disney is about ĎThe magicí, ĎPixie Dustí and all that stuff.. well this seems in short supply these days.
Disney is about people who are financially ( and emotionally) invested through CDC.
Disney is about their rather overpriced on site resorts.
Disney is seemingly now about complacency, stagnation and under investment.

What is Universal?
Universal is about Harry P, currently as big and current a franchise as exists.
Universal is about very up to date and modern themes such as Simpsons, Jurassic Park, Kong, Superheroes, Nintendo etc etc as well as Shrek and co.
Universal is now about many different price levels of resorts to cater for all budgets.
Universal is about constant change, expansion and improvement. It is of today and the future.

What is Orlando?
Orlando is currently predominantly about Disney, but Universal is of growing importance. It is wholly and solely about Theme Park related tourism.
Orlando is other than the above, a City in a swamp area that used to rely on Orlando Air Force Base (which was a huge employer).

What will happen with this huge, Universal investment?
I believe that Universal will now be competing with Disney on a more or less even basis, rather than as an adjunct to WDW that some used in addition to WDW.
I believe that Universals investment through new resorts has been in preparation for the coming of ĎEpicí.
I believe that their main customers (US Citizens) have short vacations and that now it will be either Disney or Universal, with Universal inevitably ramping up ticket prices. Universal will now be a genuine alternative to WDW, rather than just an occasional Ďas well así.

In short, I believe that unless Disney either invest in heavily in their Theme Parks or drop their prices, they may no longer be ĎTop dogí. They may become simply an alternative or even an Ďas well así.

Great question!
Itís interesting about the accommodations , universal blow Disney out of the water for family rooms that are affordable and not cramped. Dockside is fabulous for familyís or even groups and and still cheaper than a Disney value where you cramp yourself in or fork out for two rooms. Disney really need to think about this massive gap they have but then again they havenít ever had to apart from now and they are still behind as it takes them that long to build stuff .
__________________
LBV Spa resort October 2013
Bahama bay October/Nov 2015, Disney contemporary oct 2015, Loews rpr Nov 2015
Bahama bay October /Nov 2017, Disney contemporary oct 17 , AKL , GF
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 24, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
#30
Tamatoa
Serious Dibber
 
Join Date: Oct 23
So Iím not particularly invested in either brand but will share some thoughts.
1) we chose to go to Wdw first because there is more variety of things to do than universal at the moment for those who donít like simulator rides/ big coasters
2) Disney has a better range of accommodation that suits our needs. Universals hotels are a bit bog standard in many respects. And in need of refurbs in some cases
3) we will visit universal as a stand alone trip but probably before epic universe opens ad I think prices will sky/rocket - tickets will become more expensive and I predict the one hotel offering express pass for epic will be the flagship one in the park
4) I think wdw has better intellectual property - Star Wars, marvel, moana, encanto etc. Iím not excited by Nintendo land (Iím not 8-10) nor classic monsters.
5) I wish universal would invest in more shows and experiences to make it a more rounded experience
Tamatoa is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DIBB Savings
AttractionTickets.com

Get £10 off each Disney Ticket with the code ATDIBB10

Get up to £50 off per room at Disney or Universal with the code DIBBHOTELS


theDIBB Blog
SeaWorld Orlando announce the grand opening of its highly anticipated new attraction, Penguin Trek, on... Read More »
A day at Discovery Cove is always a highlight of our trips to Orlando. Some... Read More »
The newest hotel around Disney’s Boardwalk area is the Swan Reserve, which opened 3rd November... Read More »


theDIBB Menu


Exchange Rates
US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.2356
CaxtonFX  $1.2290
Covent Garden FX  $1.2550
FAIRFX  $1.2388
John Lewis  $1.2412
M&S  $1.2224
Post Office  $1.2205
Sainsburys  $1.2353
TESCO  $1.2363
Travelex  $1.2403
Updated: 05:00 22/06/2024
Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.1567
CaxtonFX  €1.1491
Covent Garden FX  €1.1632
FAIRFX  €1.1571
John Lewis  €1.1585
M&S  €1.1403
Post Office  €1.1385
Sainsburys  €1.1560
TESCO  €1.1574
Travelex  €1.1589
Updated: 05:00 22/06/2024

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can help support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits, such as...

"No adverts on theDIBB Forums"

Upgrade Now



X