Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile Marella Flavours of the Caribbean - day 7

Boo. Last proper day.

I wake up naturally around 7 again before my alarm, but I lounge about a bit, and eventually get dressed, putting my cossie on underneath my clothes, and packing my bag.

It’s a glorious day, no problem for tenders, and the sea is really calm. I haven’t been in the sea yet, other than the pool on board which to be fair is pumped straight from the sea. But I’d love a dip in the sea. It also looks great conditions for the stingrays, so I’m going to see if I can find a boat to take us.

I order a small full English as its early and I don’t know when I’ll get lunch. Very nice as normal and very quick.

Get on the tender and it might not be quite as calm as it looks, quite a challenge to get on, and it’s very rocky and rolly. We’re in our lifeboats too which I always find interesting.

I sign up to a stingray tour for $40 which is starting shortly. There is free good WiFi just straight outside so I text DH and work on my trippie until we leave. Apparently I pocket dialled him for 4 minutes in the middle of the night, guess I have no credit again...We’re in a bus and on our way in record time.
We get onboard the boat, and we’re told it’s 45 minutes to the stingray sand bar. It’s a lovely pootle across the sea, and soon enough we’re there. The sea looks so clean and inviting and I can’t wait to get in.

We arrive and there about 5 other boats there, it’s a sandbar and the stingrays are bobbing about everywhere.

We get to feed them, then the captain tries to let us all take a turn stroking, holding them etc.

Turns out to be not so easy as our boat is full of Americans and Russians from the other cruise ships who don’t believe in queues or circles or waiting turns. We are told to strictly not touch their tails or try to lift them out if the water, but they do it anyway. They are quite right though, if you are gentle with them they almost cuddle you, but if you are rough then they flap off, fair enough really.
Then it’s back on, and 10 mins later we’re at a patch of coral we can have a snorkel at. This was really relaxing and I saw thousands of fish bobbing about in the reef. After about half an hour it’s back to Grand Cayman yacht club, which looks very swish, then back to the cruise ship terminal, after doing a drop off at 7 mile beach for those interested.

I have no cash, and have probably had enough sun, so I go back to the main town.
I try Margaritaville, but it’s so noisy, there is a DJ in the middle of the restaurant, and even though the swim up bar looks good, I think somewhere quieter would be better.

I find another restaurant, Sharkeez, and order a cider and some tacos, I really should have just gone back to the ship, but I feel like I should spend a bit more time here. Probably not the wisest move. 2 small tacos full of cabbage and a small cider set me back $30.

Should have gone to the Hard Rock Cafe, as at least I would have enjoyed it even if it was dearer again.
I wander round the shops a bit, but nothing is cheaper than home, another quick break with the WiFi then I’m back on the ship. I didn’t eat that much of the lunch so I go straight up to the buffet. Lunch is just being packed away as it’s 3.05pm, but there are a few sandwiches etc for afternoon tea.
I think I had better do some packing, so I order a Sangria, and go back to my cabin. I sort some stuff out, have a shower and get dressed and ready for dinner, I’m crazy tired, but decide I need to push on.
My dinner reservation at Surf and Turf that I thought was last night was tonight, so I watch sail away with the strongest sangria I have ever had, I saw the amount of brandy and triple sec in it, then head up to try my luck getting in earlier as it just works better with the entertainment tonight, they oblige and I’m straight in.
They bring bread with the most incredible butter and salts, then a mini baked potato with caviar, I must say I’m normally a bit squeamish about caviar, but I ate it and it was really nice with the smoked flavours of the potato.

I ordered crab bisque, then the sirloin with port and Stilton sauce; mac and cheese, peas and truffle fries as we get three each. It did make me chuckle a bit when the waitress checked with me that I knew that bisque was a soup, I wondered what she thought I was ordering.

The soup was really nice and came with little crab pancakes, it went really nicely with the bread and salts.
I order a glass of red and wait patiently for my steak. I haven’t drunk red wine outside of sangria all week as it’s been warm, and I’m gutted to see one of my favourite wines on the all inclusive; still I make up for it now.
The steak comes, and it’s lovely, cooked perfectly. The sides are lovely too. They brought me a free side of onion rings which I unfortunately don’t like, so I leave them as I know I won’t manage it all anyway. I eat all the peas as I’m fairly vegetable deprived; and about half of the mac and cheese and fries.

Unfortunately I just can’t manage dessert, however hard I try, I think about the cheese board, but I’ll just make myself feel ill.
I go downstairs and watch a bit of the guitar man, then nip into the show.

It’s a Nashville themed one tonight, and actually the best all week, I really enjoyed it.
I watch a bit of a music game show. Then back to my cabin. I pack my final bits and bobs, put my suitcase outside and go to bed
A great last day
Old 25 Mar 20, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
brilliant day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Ivegottadream
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I've just discovered your trip report and binge read it all! Thanks for taking the time.
It sounds like your enjoyed the cruise? Ship, staff, food, amenities? What were the other passengers like? Ie who do you think this ship would suit? Is it adults only? Sorry for lots of questions!
Ivegottadream is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 20, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by Ivegottadream View Post
I've just discovered your trip report and binge read it all! Thanks for taking the time.
It sounds like your enjoyed the cruise? Ship, staff, food, amenities? What were the other passengers like? Ie who do you think this ship would suit? Is it adults only? Sorry for lots of questions!
No no it’s nice you are reading it.

I loved this cruise, I’m a 35 year old married woman, but sometimes holiday solo due to our family businesses etc.
The passengers were mostly British but with some Canadians.
I think there were a good mix of ages and everyone seemed to enjoy it. It wasn’t adult only but they do have the occasional adult only I believe.
Staff were top notch, food and entertainment excellent.
What I would give to be back there now!