Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 28 Jul 20, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
lcm23
Very Serious Dibber

Free DDP

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post on but, when Disney launch free DDP (if true do do it again in the future) is it really free or does the price of accommodation increase during this time? (Cos nothing in life is free! )

Also, if we booked accommodation directly through Disney and then free DDP was launched after we booked, could we add it on or cancel and rebook with it included?

These may be really obvious questions but we’ve never stayed on site before and DDP would help with budget. We are looking at 2022 so can’t book anything yet but interested to know for when the booking window opens.

Edited at 10:03 PM.
lcm23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

No it doesn't increase. You would have to make a new booking, I think it's £50 per booking to change
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
It is free but it's important to note that it's not the only offer:
1. Free dining - it's "Free" because if you were to book normally at that time you would pay the same price
2. Free Nights - basically 1-2 nights free per week, depending on Hotel- normally runs after Free Dining finishes

Some additional points, they also, have in the past, discounted tickets once FD finishes, I have seen as much as a £50 drop but it's very hard "to beat" Free Dining although generally the saving is nowhere near what the "boast" about but it is still a saving.
Now the obvious problem is that currently there are no dining plans free or otherwise & no indication if or when they will return. If numbers stay low then I'd expect a US offer to fill those "summer" beds up until end of Sept. Any 2022 offer will depend on their strategy going forward, it's a bit "chicken or egg", they have lost $100's of millions so don't want to discount, the amount of cancelled construction projects & upgrades that are shelved are an indication of this or they dangle the carrot to get more guests back ...
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 20, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Loves2Plan has got the figures on this.

When we booked CSR for July 2019, we saw an increase in the price of our room with the free DDP. It wasn’t substantial, but it was an increase. Some rooms decrease in price, some stay the same. It depends on the hotel and I imagine this will be linked to the availability of standard rooms.

With regard to DDP, if it is going to be offered, it will be released in April time next year for 2022. I believe some TAs do offer the opportunity to book and ‘add’ it on later but in general, it’s better to get a few prices come April to get the best deal.

I’m a massive believer in DIY though I understand in this climate, more people might want the security of a package holiday. Quite a few places do Disney bookings (hotel + tickets + dining) on a £50pp deposit which is terrific. But for something with flights, you’re looking at a lot more than that for a deposit.

Fingers crossed for free dining released next year for 2022. That’s what we’re hoping for!
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
lcm23
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Yeah we have done DIY when we have been to Disney and most likely will do when we go in 2022. It would be ideal if there was a free DDP on offer for when we go as would really help with budgeting as we have never stayed onsite before. We are looking at Coronado Springs.
lcm23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
AliPD
Imagineer

You're right nothing is free, they get their money back in other ways, what they're doing in reality is guaranteeing you'll be eating on their property and therefore spending as you go. I personally think it's better to do your own thing, especially if you have a car or you're considering doing other places.
The Gateway Inn 1994 - Howard Johnson 1996 - The Holiday Inn Express 1999 - The Sheraton World Resort 2001 - Howard Johnson Plaza 2004 - The Best Western Plaza 2006 - Econolodge Inn and Suites 2008 - High Grove Villa 2011 - Sandy Ridge Villa 2012 - Silver Creek Villa 2015 - Art Of Animation 2017.
AliPD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by AliPD View Post
You're right nothing is free, they get their money back in other ways, what they're doing in reality is guaranteeing you'll be eating on their property and therefore spending as you go. I personally think it's better to do your own thing, especially if you have a car or you're considering doing other places.
However if you plan on spending most of your time at Disney it’s a better deal than free nights. Unfortunately over the years the room discount has lost its value, certainly for us. Who knows what the future will bring but I’d guess any offers will be aimed at keeping you on Disney property.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by lcm23 View Post
Yeah we have done DIY when we have been to Disney and most likely will do when we go in 2022. It would be ideal if there was a free DDP on offer for when we go as would really help with budgeting as we have never stayed onsite before. We are looking at Coronado Springs.
CSR is a lovely resort - we're hoping to return there in 2022. We stayed in 2019 and Gran Destino Tower opened while we were there. With the lobby, Barcelona Lounge and rooftop bar and restaurant, it feels like a deluxe hotel with moderate prices 👍🏻😁
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Room rates are almost universally higher when free dining is on. You tend to pay rack rate. Free nights may be an equal or very occasionally better deal, especially if you have only one or two people in the room. The value of free nights increases at the deluxe resorts. I’d suggest it’s a moot point anyway as I think free dining is now a thing of the past. The more people per room though, the better the value of free dining. One year me and DD stayed at AKL on a free nights deal as we booked late and had missed free dining. We are at a table service every day and paid for all our food. When I worked it out we paid the same including our food costs as free dining would have been for an upgraded free QS deal at a moderate resort. So we had a better deal with free nights. You have to do the maths and know how you like to eat.

Edited at 08:04 PM.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List