Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Aug 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Help with west coast itinerary

Hi all, really hoping to do a west coast trip next year, my ideal would be 3 weeks in the school summer holidays but the price of flights so far is really high, I realise I’m looking early and things could change a lot with sales along the way too hopefully. The end of May into June is my next option but this will cut our time down to 16 days at the most, I am wanting to fly in and out of LAX as it’s the cheapest but I’m now struggling to cut my itinerary down, what would your ideas be for 16 day plan be please? The places we originally wanted to visit are LA, San Diego, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, San Francisco, Monterey, Anaheim and 1 night stops in Palm Springs and Santa Barbara along the way, which of these should I drop if we can only do the 16 days?
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

If I was you and only had 16 nights I’d drop Vegas and the GC and do them on a separate holiday.

It’s still early for flights though, we didn’t end up booking them until January. If you can go at the end of the holidays, last 2 weeks of August first week of Sept the prices were much cheaper. As we had to be back for GCSE results we were stuck with the beginning of the holidays so paid a premium, for 2019 prices at least.
If you don’t mind me asking, what is your budget per person?

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
If I was you and only had 16 nights I’d drop Vegas and the GC and do them on a separate holiday.

It’s still early for flights though, we didn’t end up booking them until January. If you can go at the end of the holidays, last 2 weeks of August first week of Sept the prices were much cheaper. As we had to be back for GCSE results we were stuck with the beginning of the holidays so paid a premium, for 2019 prices at least.
If you don’t mind me asking, what is your budget per person?
Hi, thanks for reply that was my initial thought to drop Vegas and GC, but then I can’t figure out how to do a round trip flying in and out of L.A. as we’d be doubling back on ourselves driving up the coast, as for for flight budgets there is 5 of us so I wouldn’t want to go higher than £700, I think I just need to be patient really and wait it out a couple of months for flight I’m just really impatient to get something booked😂
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We’re planning 14 days at Easter. We know we can’t fit everything in we want to do, so are using it as a taster, as I know we’ll be back. Our itinerary is:

2-6 April - Burbank (base for Hollywood, WB Studios, Griffiths Observatory)
6-9 April - Las Vegas (will visit Hoover Dam and Red Rock Canyon and possibly GC Skywalk)
9-11April - Grand Canyon South Rim (Yavapai Lodge)
11-12 April - overnight between GC and Anaheim - possible Prescott, as want to drive through Joshua Tree NP on way to Anaheim)
12-16 April - Anaheim for 3 days at Disneyland
16 April fly home

We’re flying into and out of LAX. I’ve currently got flights, car and hotels in Burbank and Anaheim booked with BA on deposit. Hoping it goes ahead, but if not will reschedule.

Edited at 06:56 PM.
mason1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mason1 View Post
We’re planning 14 days at Easter. We know we can’t fit everything in we want to do, so are using it as a taster, as I know we’ll be back. Our itinerary is:

2-6 April - Burbank (base for Hollywood, WB Studios, Griffiths Observatory)
6-9 April - Las Vegas (will visit Hoover Dam and Red Rock Canyon and possibly GC Skywalk)
9-11April - Grand Canyon South Rim (Yavapai Lodge)
11-12 April - overnight between GC and Anaheim - possible Prescott, as want to drive through Joshua Tree NP on way to Anaheim)
12-16 April - Anaheim for 3 days at Disneyland
16 April fly home

We’re flying into and out of LAX. I’ve currently got flights, car and hotels in Burbank and Anaheim booked with BA on deposit. Hoping it goes ahead, but if not will reschedule.
Thanks for reply, I did think about Easter a while ago so I might have a look again at the dates actually, your trip looks great and fingers crossed you get to do it😀
Old 15 Aug 20, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

San Diego , drive straight to Vegas
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Frankie & gang
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Hi we had a 16 night west cost holiday August 2017.
We flew into SF then visited Yosemite, Monterey, Pismo Beach. Flew internally Santa Barbara to Phoenix went to GC followed by Vegas where we flew home.
I think if you can afford to fly in & from different airports makes driving more manageable. Internal flights were quite cheap as well, around £100 although can get much cheaper if your lucky
Old 16 Aug 20, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Frankie & gang View Post
Hi we had a 16 night west cost holiday August 2017.
We flew into SF then visited Yosemite, Monterey, Pismo Beach. Flew internally Santa Barbara to Phoenix went to GC followed by Vegas where we flew home.
I think if you can afford to fly in & from different airports makes driving more manageable. Internal flights were quite cheap as well, around £100 although can get much cheaper if your lucky
Hi, thanks for reply that sounds like a great trip, I have had a quick look at internal flights and they do seem very reasonable, good to have that option😀
Old 16 Aug 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

We did a California road trip last year and it was the best holiday we have ever had. We did have grand plans at the beginning to do the all of the places you mention in your post but we soon realised that if we were to really enjoy the time in each of the places rather than just the views From the car we would have to drop a couple of places (currently planning road trip number 2

This was what we did, flying in and out of LAX:

2 nights Manhattan Beach (15 mins away from LAX), nice beach location from here we did a trip to Santa Monica and then drove out to Six Flags.

2 nights Fresno, drove there straight from Six Flags, from here we did a day trip to Sequoia National Park and then some shopping etc. Then headed up to Yosemite.

3 nights Yosemite, we stayed in a log cabin with hot tub in Wawona just inside the park,

3 nights San Francisco

2 nights Monterey

1 night Pismo Beach - our only one night stop, nice place on the way down to LA

2 nights Rotondo Beach LA - went to Knotts Berry Farm theme park and had a half day before the flight home seeing the Hollywood sign and Walk of fame - this was more than enough time.

I hope this helps. Next time we want to do Vegas, Grand Canyon, Palm Springs, San Diego and much much more of Yosemite, it was amazing!

Edited at 11:00 AM.
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pinkandfluffy View Post
We did a California road trip last year and it was the best holiday we have ever had. We did have grand plans at the beginning to do the all of the places you mention in your post but we soon realised that if we were to really enjoy the time in each of the places rather than just the views From the car we would have to drop a couple of places (currently planning road trip number 2

This was what we did, flying in and out of LAX:

2 nights Manhattan Beach (15 mins away from LAX), nice beach location from here we did a trip to Santa Monica and then drove out to Six Flags.

2 nights Fresno, drove there straight from Six Flags, from here we did a day trip to Sequoia National Park and then some shopping etc. Then headed up to Yosemite.

3 nights Yosemite, we stayed in a log cabin with hot tub in Wawona just inside the park,

3 nights San Francisco

2 nights Monterey

1 night Pismo Beach - our only one night stop, nice place on the way down to LA

2 nights Rotondo Beach LA - went to Knotts Berry Farm theme park and had a half day before the flight home seeing the Hollywood sign and Walk of fame - this was more than enough time.

I hope this helps. Next time we want to do Vegas, Grand Canyon, Palm Springs, San Diego and much much more of Yosemite, it was amazing!
Thanks very much for reply that sounds like a great trip, I keep going back and forth from doing everything in one trip and doing it in 2 trips, just can’t decide which places I want to do most😩