Old 16 Aug 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
One mad woman and her dog, NC500 Aug 2020 - day 2 Aviemore

I had set an alarm for 7am this morning, as I have a bit to do, and I want to pre-empt any wee needs as we are 2 floors up in the hotel. He’s also had loads of water as it’s boiling. I didn’t get the best night sleep unfortunately which is a shame as the bed is amazingly comfortable.

The room was unfortunately just super hot, nothing they could do as it’s been a heat wave, but no fans etc. I’ve also never stayed away with Max before except with family and he was hot and unsettled. So I had the window open, but all the young lads from Kingussie unfortunately decided to congregate under our window, playing their music from the car speakers making him quite understandably stressed.

So I throw on last nights clothes and we go for a quick walk, then I come back up and shower, make coffee and pack the million things I seem to have brought up to the room. Not easy to travel light with a dog 😂

I would have liked to have had breakfast here, but the hotel and both coffee shops in the village don’t open until 9, and I need to be on the road. So I just eat a muesli bar from the car and we head off towards Aviemore. Unfortunately my car sat nav gets me hugely lost, and keeps trying to send me down down gravel tracks to get on the A9 which surprise surprise don’t lead me onto a massive dual carriageway... I end up back tracking all the way I came as I had no phone signal to double check. Turns out I should have just carried on a few more miles. Puts me a bit behind schedule.

I park the car at the air bnb that I booked, quickly pack a day rucksack and we frog-march down to the train station, as today, we’re going on a steam train. Max’s first time on a train.

I collect the tickets (£16.25 + £1 for Max) and find our table. They have sold only half of the tables for social distancing and it’s really well organised. We choo choo off.

It’s very picturesque, but mostly fields etc but still a worthwhile little outing. Max isn’t quite as interested 😂

We get out at the first stop as I want to split my ticket, so I get a reservation for the later train back. They sort this for me (again everyone is super friendly) so I jump back on again. At the terminus I get out again for some photos and a leg stretch.

Back at the Boat Of Garten stop we gather our things and get off, as we have a reservation at the Boat inn for lunch.

I order a pint of cider, and a sandwich and chips.

We just hang out here for a while, well ages really as our train back isn’t until 3.30pm, unfortunately the middle train of the day got cancelled with Covid. About half way through I get a bit peckish again and order a sticky toffee pud and a glass of rose.

I pay the bill which comes to £36.25. It’s coming up for our return train time so we wander back to the station, and not long after the train arrives.

We board and chug our noisy way back to Aviemore station, where I have a quick wee and then we walk the 30 mins back up to our air bnb to check in.

I booked a tiny house just outside of Aviemore, and it’s ideal..

The lady who owns and runs it (it’s in her garden) has broken her elbow, but her Mum is there looking after her and they both show me around and make a fuss of Max. I have a quick shower, and we both just chill out for a bit as we are exhausted. I decide not to go out tonight. It’s been a long couple of days, so I think fish and chips, a glass of wine and Netflix is on the cards. As I’m just about to head out the owner lets her dog in the garden and they have a fab 20 min play whilst I chat to Karen who is truly lovely.

I nip to the Co-op where I pick up a bottle of wine, and a pack of hot cross buns and some utterly butterly for the next 2 mornings breakfasts which costs £9.30, and then I order Haddock and chips for me, and a sausage for Max, £11.05. (No photo I ate them too quick).
I head back to the cabin, get in my PJ’s, and just have a lovely chill. The cabin is amazing as night time wee’s can be achieved by just opening the door into the garden, shame I’m only here 2 nights. Write my trippie, and sleep like the dead.

Miles travelled in a car - should have been 15 but was actually more like 30
Miles travelled on a train - 20
Amount spent - £73.95
Old 16 Aug 20, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Loving reading along Mitch, thanks for sharing! Enjoy our beautiful country the scenery is just going to get better and better the further North you go

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by christybell View Post
Loving reading along Mitch, thanks for sharing! Enjoy our beautiful country the scenery is just going to get better and better the further North you go
Oh I’m sure, not sure how long the weather is going to last though! I’ve very fond memories of Aviemore from childhood holidays but I’m excited to explore new places too.
Thanks for reading 😍
Old 16 Aug 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Mobile

Thank you for writing this. I am loving reading a long.
Old 16 Aug 20, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

We are heading for Aberfeldy in just over two weeks time. I'm noting your travel time as you live near us 😊. DH want to stop at Tebay services for breakfast so we are aiming to leave at 7am.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Your Airbnb looks perfect but I’m a little in shock at the price of lunch!

I’m enjoying your trip report. Thanks for writing
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post

Me too and I’m familiar with rip off tourist prices in Scotland . It must be a mistake surely? Even at £10 for the sandwich, £6 for the sticky toffee that means £10 each for the cider and wine ?
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 06:15 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
We are heading for Aberfeldy in just over two weeks time. I'm noting your travel time as you live near us 😊. DH want to stop at Tebay services for breakfast so we are aiming to leave at 7am.
Oh we had a fab holiday in Aberfeldy once.
You’ll be at Tebay in no time if the M6 is clear
Old 17 Aug 20, 06:22 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by cheekydeeky View Post
Me too and I’m familiar with rip off tourist prices in Scotland . It must be a mistake surely? Even at £10 for the sandwich, £6 for the sticky toffee that means £10 each for the cider and wine ?
Ahh, I did have 1 pint of cider, and 2 glasses of wine in the end as I was at the village for almost 3.5 hours. I had been hoping to get the train today (Monday) because it’s eat out to help out, but they started only running the train on weekends when they first started re-opening.

The breakdown was

Strongbow - £4.75
Sandwich - £10.75
Sticky toffee - £6.95
Wine x 2 at £6.95

I guess it is peak tourist spot, straight off the steam train. But there wasn’t really anywhere else to go, and so I stuck it out and read my book. Did make the drinks last over an hour each though 😂
Old 17 Aug 20, 06:23 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post

No Thankyou for reading 🥰