Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 2 Sep 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

Bath and surrounding areas

We have booked to go to Bath and use it as a base to eat out in the evenings. We plan to have one day in Bath but looking for suggestions for three more days. We have a car but we are not really country walk type people, we like cities, towns or the seaside. Does anyone have any suggestions for things to see and do in the surrounding areas. We go this month.
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel85
Getting Excited

Mobile

If you like cities then you definitely could fill 2 days at least in Bath - the pump rooms, the royal crescent and circus, the Abbey, general wandering. It’s a lovely city (I went to uni there).

Bristol is close but not sure of specific things to do there.
I’ve also enjoyed day trips to Cheddar Gorge and Wookey Hole. Dyrham Park is a national trust place just outside Bath too.
Ariel85 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Lacock is really pretty and has the Fox Talbot Museum. It also has an Abbey that was used during the filming of both Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts.

Castle Combe again, is really pretty and was used as the setting from which Rex Harrison sailed in the film Dr Doolittle. Sir Randolph Fiennes tells a lovely story of how he had some ‘spare explosives’ from his Army days and attempted to ‘blow’ a Dam that was constructed to flood Castle Combe and make it look like a Sea Port.

Bradford on Avon is worth a look.

Bath, in addition to the a Roman Baths, has a new build Baths on the Top of a building where you can partake in the mineral enriched waters. With the Roman Baths, Abbey, Poultney Weir and rather good shopping would certainly appear worth more than a day. In addition, it is home to the finest Rugby Club in the World!

I lived in Chippenham for several years and had all these lovely places around me. Chippenham in contrast was pretty barren!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 04:55 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Second vote for Bradford on Avon, we were on a narrow boat holiday from there and stopped there to have a lovely Italian meal x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

As a Mulberry fan, one of the highlights of my Bath visit was a drive to Shepton Mallet to visit the Mulberry outlet there. 🤣

My husband enjoyed seeing the Clifton Suspension bridge. 🤣

It was a rock n roll weekend. 🤣 we did enjoy walking around the Roman Baths though.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
A highlight of our last trip to Bath was the Mayor’s walking tours. They are free (on Saturday mornings I think) and was possibly one of the best walking tours I’ve ever been on.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Cheddar Gorge has already been mentioned, and I'll add Wells to that too.

For countryside - the whole Chew Valley, to the West of Bath is delightful. Chew Magna is a lovely village and Chew Valley Lake offers great walks. Stanton Drew Circles and Cove is in the Chew Valley area - it's like a mini Stonehenge.

As mentioned above - Bristol is close by - a few minutes on the train and offers lots from Clifton, the floating harbour, the Zoo and gardens and the SS Great Britain.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks all for your suggestions. We will take a look
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List