Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Feb 13, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
tom107
slightly serious Dibber

A Few Days Away From Disney

We are staying in Orlando in November with friends and although we plan on going to Seaworld and Magic Kingdom we would like to do a few days on a cruise. We have never done this before! We have seen one from Tampa to Mexico 5 days. I think that is long enough for a taster. Has anyone done this? Did you book it in the UK or did you book it once in Orlando?
tom107 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 13, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post

We've done Mexico (Cozumel) with the Disney Cruise Line so I can't comment on other cruise companies. If it's a 5 day trip then you will most certainly call at other places like Grand Cayman along the way. Cruising is a really relaxing thing to do and our little trip to Cozumel certainly gave us a taste for returning and doing a fuller visit to Mexico in the future. Hope you find a cruise to suit you.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 13, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
JSP
Imagineer

We have done it, I cant really help with the booking since my BIL who lives in St Pete Beach books it for us as it works out cheaper.
On a 5 day cruise I would imagine you will stop at 2 or 3 places, as above maybe the caymans, Cozumel and main land mexico, something like that. We find it a nice relaxing experience, dont forget to budget for gratuities (they usually suggest a fixed price per person per night) and also for any shore excursions you want to take
Old 19 Feb 13, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Back in 2009, we took a similar cruise on Royal Caribbean - 4 nights/5 days from Tampa to Cozumel and back again. We booked in the UK and got our pre-paid gratuities free. However, we were seated with a lady and her daughter from Atlanta who had booked a few weeks before the sailing date, and they paid around 40% of the price we paid in the UK.

Check out the CruiseCritic.com website if you do book, as it has loads of useful advice for first time cruisers (as we were) - for example, getting to the boat for around 11:30 on departure day to use the facilities and restaurants, advice on local tour operators rather than using the cruise line tours.

If you can wait until nearer the time, there is a US website (Vacations to Go)that has details of reduced price cruises departing within 90 days - may be worth visiting to see what is available. Also worth checking for departures from Jacksonville, Port Canaveral, Fort lauderdale and Miami which should give you a greater number of options.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 13, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tom107
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks , that is great information. I will certainly follow your advice.
tom107 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 13, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post

I hope 5nts is enough for a taster as we will be doing our 1st cruise next year, 5nts including Cozumel. Lots of people start with 3 or 4nt cruises as tasters, personally I was looking at 4nts minimum. We are sailing with Disney which is admittedly more expensive than most of the other cruiselines, but there are some things included that you still pay for on others and we felt we would get our money's worth, specially with the ages of our children. We are going to be mega busy in Orlando so using our 5nts for some serious R&R
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 13, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread