Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Apr 16, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Tip for an upgrade

Just found out my 'free' midsized car is not going to be big enough. I had planned to get insurance (fullycomp) before i go to USA, through online external provider.
I planned to tip the guy at Alamo (who gives us the keys) $40 for an upgrade (as ive heard this commonly works). However how will this work in terms of Insurance ?
I'll have insurance for a car that isnt the one im driving ?
Someone must have done this ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 16, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
barry206
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Monty_a2 View Post
Just found out my 'free' midsized car is not going to be big enough. I had planned to get insurance (fullycomp) before i go to USA, through online external provider.
I planned to tip the guy at Alamo (who gives us the keys) $40 for an upgrade (as ive heard this commonly works). However how will this work in terms of Insurance ?
I'll have insurance for a car that isnt the one im driving ?
Someone must have done this ?
Haven't done it before but... You turn up at garage try to hand the guy $40 for a "free" upgrade and he says no! ... Just saying it's not worth the risk...IMO
barry206 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 16, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP.
I think your plan sounds crazy!
Wrong size car
Relying on a tip to get the correct size one
Using an external Company for Insurance.

Best make sure you have blood pressure tablets with you!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 01:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 16, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Rowlf
Imagineer

As Tom says your plan is bonkers. Do it this way: book the whole deal with Alamo Brits (usually the cheapest) - this will include all the necessary insurance. Book the size car you need, which may well be only around $40 more than the mid-size.

If when you get out to the Alamo parking lot (Sanford) or garage (MCO) there isn't a satisfactory car in your category (eg they're all grubby or high miles) ask one of the helper guys who is empowered to sort you a suitable car. As ever in the US if someone provides you with a helpful personal service like this you would want to tip him.

I've done this on several occasions but it's not the same thing as going there expecting to be able to bribe your way to a bigger car!
Old 4 Apr 16, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

How much are you paying for your insurance? I'd look at usrentacar or,Alamo Brits and hire a car the size you need. Including insurance. It's likely to be a similar price to your insurance only costs.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 16, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
As Tom says your plan is bonkers. Do it this way: book the whole deal with Alamo Brits (usually the cheapest) - this will include all the necessary insurance. Book the size car you need, which may well be only around $40 more than the mid-size.

If when you get out to the Alamo parking lot (Sanford) or garage (MCO) there isn't a satisfactory car in your category (eg they're all grubby or high miles) ask one of the helper guys who is empowered to sort you a suitable car. As ever in the US if someone provides you with a helpful personal service like this you would want to tip him.

I've done this on several occasions but it's not the same thing as going there expecting to be able to bribe your way to a bigger car!
Agreed. The only time I tip is when they bring me another car but in the category I paid for. last Nov there were no Cadillac saloons. A very helpful guy went next door to National and brought me a brand new one. That was worth $20 IMO for his effort - he even blacked the tyres before we drove off!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 16, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Not sure this would work for me, I'd worry too much about risking getting the car I actually needed on the back of a tip. I'd also worry about not having the right insurance and that could lead to a whole host of other problems should something happen.

What size car do you actually need?

Have you spoken to the people you have booked your package through to see if you can get the car you actually need and what the cost for that insurance would be?

Edited at 03:37 PM.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 16, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mark2603
Getting Excited

A couple of years ago when we flew in to Sandford I showed the guy on the parking our paperwork for an Intermediate SUV and I just asked if he had any nice vehicles in and gave him $20.

"I certainly have sir" came the reply and he showed too me to a full size SUV with electric everything and 500 miles on the clock.

Loaded up the luggage and off we went.
mark2603 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 16, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

So if you were given a higher grade car (not through asking as I wouldn't) you'd need to make sure they corrected your paperwork. I'm glad I've seen this thread as I would of just driven off (DH) and presumed I was still insured.
Old 4 Apr 16, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I always book the car I want, a full size 7 seat SUV from Alamo, I have tipped the garage man twice now, $20 each time, both times I have got a brand new Lincoln Navigator, on a 4 week rental each time it's good value!
captain-codeye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread