Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Apr 16, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Monty_a2 View Post
Thomas cook said the 'free car' they will provide me with is a suitable size for my party.
My argument with them was that their mid-sized car would not be big enough for 2 adults, 3 kids, 5 cases, 5 handluggage and a buggy. they said the car will provide will be suitable.
1) so do i take their word for it ? and if so i would upgrade my insurance to fully comp using Thomas Cook (£336).
2) Do i take their word for it and upgrade my insurance to fully comp from external source ?
3) What if the car isnt big enough and i end up having to take an upgrade to a bigger car, would TC insurance cover the bigger car? Would external insurance cover the bigger car ?
This is what I would do in your situation:
1. Don't collect the free car. Hire independently from the likes of Alamo Brits or similar, with full insurance
2. I would never use third party insurance. If the worst happens you may find that you have to pay first then claim back, or at least try to contact your insurance at the time of incident which may be middle of the night in the UK. With the car hire insurance, it's just one call to the hire company and they take over from there. As most of the hire companies self insure, your one call is also advising the insurance company, which is them too.
3. If you were to take a larger car from TC unde use their insurance ( this is expensive way to do it) then yes the hire car will be insured by the hire car company. Can't comment on external insurance as not for me.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 16, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post

I don't think there would be an issue re: insurance. There would be an issue that:
- you have taken a car in a higher class than your paperwork stated
- you were allowed to take it out of the garage, and
- you bribed a company official (possibly fraud or conspiracy to commit fraud) in doing so

Whilst insurance companies don't "try and wriggle out of paying legitimate claims" like many people think, it's usually wise not to give them lots of reasons to do so

Misterh. please don't reply to any of my future posts. Your comments not welcomed. Can't figure out if you are pedantic, or simply missing the point ?
Of course the paperwork would be changed by the guy giving me the keys. Of course i would be allowed to take it out the garage and tipping for an upgrade... it happens everyday.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 16, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I don't think there would be an issue re: insurance. There would be an issue that:
- you have taken a car in a higher class than your paperwork stated
- you were allowed to take it out of the garage, and
- you bribed a company official (possibly fraud or conspiracy to commit fraud) in doing so

Whilst insurance companies don't "try and wriggle out of paying legitimate claims" like many people think, it's usually wise not to give them lots of reasons to do so

Misterh. please don't reply to any of my future posts. Your comments not welcomed. Can't figure out if you are pedantic, or simply missing the point ?
Of course the paperwork would be changed by the guy giving me the keys. Of course i would be allowed to take it out the garage and tipping for an upgrade... it happens everyday.
While the tipping does happen in some places every day the fact is that staff at Sanford have been sacked for doing it. The only time I have flown into Sanford I did it and did get an upgrade. Wish I hadn't mind as it chewed petrol! Wasn't the cost of the petrol which was the issue it was having to fill up every couple of days as our villa was next to nowhere. You may find therefore that Alamo at Sanford will no longer accept the $20 tip.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 16, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
This is what I would do in your situation:
1. Don't collect the free car. Hire independently from the likes of Alamo Brits or similar, with full insurance
2. I would never use third party insurance. If the worst happens you may find that you have to pay first then claim back, or at least try to contact your insurance at the time of incident which may be middle of the night in the UK. With the car hire insurance, it's just one call to the hire company and they take over from there. As most of the hire companies self insure, your one call is also advising the insurance company, which is them too.
3. If you were to take a larger car from TC unde use their insurance ( this is expensive way to do it) then yes the hire car will be insured by the hire car company. Can't comment on external insurance as not for me.

this is what i have done when we flew with Virgin, i just did not collect the car, got on the DME and collected a car from the swan / dolphin on day 3, this was cheaper than the insurance that Virgin wanted to charge me
Old 20 Apr 16, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Well just thought i'd update you folks. I decided against taking the free car and trying to tip the Alamo operator for upgrade, I decided against getting a taxi from the airport for the luggage. I decided against using a uk internet insurance provider. i ended up getting USRENTACAR grand dodge minivan with full insurance. Worked out £507 for three weeks.
Happy with that ! i'll just not pick up my free thomas cook car
Old 20 Apr 16, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Well just thought i'd update you folks. I decided against taking the free car and trying to tip the Alamo operator for upgrade, I decided against getting a taxi from the airport for the luggage. I decided against using a uk internet insurance provider. i ended up getting USRENTACAR grand dodge minivan with full insurance. Worked out £507 for three weeks.
Happy with that ! i'll just not pick up my free thomas cook car
Well done, some good decisons made there. Nice price as well.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 16, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Cheers sherriff
Old 23 Apr 16, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

I found that the best way to upgrade was from this country.
Has an Avis Group S SUV (Chevy Traverse) booked through BA holidays, rang them up about the upgrade to a Group Z (Chevy Tahoe) cist me a total of €40 fir 14 days (around £2.50 a day)
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 16, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread