Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 27 Aug 16, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Moodyblue
Imagineer

Alaskan Cruise! Which airline?

Hi

we are booked on the Disney Wonder for the Alaskan cruise next August

Flights will be released soon so I am starting to do some research and wonder if anyone else who has done this cruise could share who they flew with? Also any approx idea of prices for the mid/end of August?

So far I can find Air Transat who have very reasonable prices available already but I don't know much about them. BA will be out in a few weeks and I have airmiles I can use with them but experience tells me they will be expensive.

We live in Devon but I think we will have to fly from London really.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be gratefully recieved

Thanks
Old 27 Aug 16, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Are the BA flights not out now? I thought they were out 365 days in advance... They certainly were when we used them to Vancouver.

I can't compare Air Transat with BA as we have never flown with them before although we have just booked Flights to Toronto with them for next summer as the price was so good. If it gets me from A to B I don't really mind.

When we did are DCL Alaska cruise last summer we flew with BA & used ba avios points to bring the cost down. We went the first two weeks July & I think we paid approx £2500 with points but we did have to start in Belfast.

Sorry this probably isn't much help!
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 16, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Moodyblue
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for your reply 😄

BA flights are due out in about 10 days... We don't go in the cruise until 21st August...

If the prices are what I think they will be, it will make more sense to use Air Transat and keep the Avios for something else...

Thanks
Old 27 Aug 16, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

You will love the Alaska cruise it was fab! Vancouver is now my favourite city
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 16, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Moodyblue
Imagineer

Mobile

I am really looking forward to it! Just trying to decide how many days to have in Vancouver before 😄
Old 28 Aug 16, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

We did the DCL Alaskan cruise last year, but because we were taking the Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver we flew into Calgary with Air Transaat. We flew club and couldn't fault them. The economy cabin looked very comfortable though with decent seat pitch and we overheard a discussion from a group of pax in the immigration queue behind us saying what a comfortable flight it was in economy and how attentive the flight crew were. Sorry have never flown transatlantic with BA so can't compare.

Also have you considered Westjet? I believe they fly to Vancouver from Gatwick. We used them to fly from Vancouver to John Wayne and found them fine. Efficient and a bit like Easyjet (who I quite like), but not sure if they have a different level of service for transatlantic

We stayed for 5 nights in Vancouver before our cruise and I thought that was about right for us

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 16, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Moodyblue
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank!

I hadn't considered Westjet so I will have a look at them later... I did look at Club for Transat but was disappointed to see the seats didn't lie flat 😱😱.

I was thinking 4 or 5 days in Vancouver before so that sounds about right... I might even use my Avios points for the hotel if I don't use them for the flight 😆

Thanks again
Old 28 Aug 16, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

We also did 5 nights in Vancouver before the cruise but we also spent 3 nights in Squamish which is half way between Vancouver & Whistler... This is on the Sea to Sky highway and we did the sea to sky gondola which is definitely one of my highlights of the trip, absolutely stunning scenery and you can walk to Shannon falls from the gondola. Have a look before you book the flights as it may be worth adding an extra day to do this.
Old 28 Aug 16, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
daffodil92
Imagineer

Mobile

Just subscribing to this - we booked a placeholder cruise and I would LOVE to go to Canada/Alaska! Let us know how you get on with all your plans OP 🙂 You must be so excited!
daffodil92 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 16, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Moodyblue
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cutiepie View Post
We also did 5 nights in Vancouver before the cruise but we also spent 3 nights in Squamish which is half way between Vancouver & Whistler... This is on the Sea to Sky highway and we did the sea to sky gondola which is definitely one of my highlights of the trip, absolutely stunning scenery and you can walk to Shannon falls from the gondola. Have a look before you book the flights as it may be worth adding an extra day to do this.
Thanks, I will have a look at this but I have a fear of heights so it might not be for me 😆😆