Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Sep 16, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
palmlodge
Getting Excited

How to take the shine of our Disney Cruise. Charged $225 for a missing stateroom blanket!

We had a lovely first cruise on the Disney Dream, and now's the time to tot up the cost. In doing so, there's an extra charge of $225 added to my credit card, on top of the correct stateroom account summary which I have a printout.

I called Disney, and apparently a blanket from the stateroom was missing from the bed, and they've charged us $225.

I was astounded. We certainly didn't take a bed blanket (why!?!) and at no point did they attempt to contact us at any point. We did in fact head to the Yacht for a few days after.

Anyone else had this experience? They say they will investigate which could take 3 weeks, but how can we prove we didn't?

Thanks for the memories, Disney.

:-(
palmlodge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 16, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by palmlodge View Post
We had a lovely first cruise on the Disney Dream, and now's the time to tot up the cost. In doing so, there's an extra charge of $225 added to my credit card, on top of the correct stateroom account summary which I have a printout.

I called Disney, and apparently a blanket from the stateroom was missing from the bed, and they've charged us $225.

I was astounded. We certainly didn't take a bed blanket (why!?!) and at no point did they attempt to contact us at any point. We did in fact head to the Yacht for a few days after.

Anyone else had this experience? They say they will investigate which could take 3 weeks, but how can we prove we didn't?

You can't prove you didn't take it, but I know DCL are pretty good at clearing these things up so I wouldn't worry.

You'd be surprised at the things that go missing ... mainly the red pillows in the early days, but more the laundry bags now.
Old 7 Sep 16, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

how do you prove that you didn't take something?

Nowhere near as bad as Palmlodge $225 charge, we got charged $10 a couple of cruises ago even tho' we took nothing but really CBA to go through the hassle to complain.
Since then, we do not leave a card on file so only pay cash and also take photo's on our last morning as we're leaving the cabin but that's not really proof as you could have gone back after and stolen something anyway.

It's a difficult one but agree that it does leave a sour taste
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 16, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Jack Daniel's
VIP Dibber

yeah, very difficult to prove but i also take pics of hotel rooms & cabins when we leave them, mainly the contents of the mini bar for future reference.
Our 2ndary shower screen disappeared one day then returned the next, getting washed or replaced i guess,
2013 Aulani / Disneyland Hotel
2010/13/16/17/18/19 DLRP
2009 POR 2008 POR
2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
2004 Orlando International Resort Int` Drive
1994 Holiday Inn Int` Drive
1993 Comfort Inn 1992 Continental Plaza
1991 Howard Johnston 1990 Holiday Inn Int` Drive
Jack Daniel's is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 16, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by palmlodge View Post

What evidence do they have that you took the blanket? They must have some given they charged you. The fact that the blanket wasn't there is not evidence. If you don't get a satisfactory outcome, invoke section 75 of the consumer credit act with your cc provider.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 16, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 34
Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
What evidence do they have that you took the blanket? They must have some given they charged you. The fact that the blanket wasn't there is not evidence. If you don't get a satisfactory outcome, invoke section 75 of the consumer credit act with your cc provider.
Oh that's a good idea about contacting the credit card company.
Old 8 Sep 16, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
DCL will only have the fact that it is not there as their proof. There's no need to get worked up though, they are normally very good at sorting this type of thing as sometimes the stateroom hosts remember one thing, but actually, it was something else.

If you have photos of the room when you first entered (most new cruisers take photos), that would show that it was missing.
If it's your first cruise, you don't know what should or shouldn't be there, so you can't report anything missing.

The stateroom hosts just do an inventory, they're not accusing anyone. They just tick a list to show that something is missing. They are not generally aware of the repercussions of that.

It'll all be sorted soon, but DCL are not quick unfortunately (I once put loads of OBC to our room but didn't spend as much as I thought we would so had about £400 left over. Took me 9 weeks to get it credited back from DCL)!
Old 9 Sep 16, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
DCL will only have the fact that it is not there as their proof. There's no need to get worked up though, they are normally very good at sorting this type of thing as sometimes the stateroom hosts remember one thing, but actually, it was something else.

If you have photos of the room when you first entered (most new cruisers take photos), that would show that it was missing.
If it's your first cruise, you don't know what should or shouldn't be there, so you can't report anything missing.

The stateroom hosts just do an inventory, they're not accusing anyone. They just tick a list to show that something is missing. They are not generally aware of the repercussions of that.

It'll all be sorted soon, but DCL are not quick unfortunately (I once put loads of OBC to our room but didn't spend as much as I thought we would so had about £400 left over. Took me 9 weeks to get it credited back from DCL)!
Bats it might be worth getting worked up for this family as they might not have this type of cash to have spare or to wait for it , but will say nothing more just incase it upsets anyone... ps they know fine well what the repercussions are ,and i think they hope no one will bother saying or doing anything about it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 16, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I think that is terrible!

Shame on you DCL!
That is not the end to the luxury exprience that disney offer.

I suggest a you contact DCL and make it very clear you want to see the evidence of you taking the blanket ( the evidence that they don't have) and make it clear you will be starting legal proceedings if they cannot provide the video evidence.

Absolutely terrible!
I think I may now not put my card on and pay cash only so they cannot do thisz
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 16, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by stevb63 View Post
Bats it might be worth getting worked up for this family as they might not have this type of cash to have spare or to wait for it , but will say nothing more just incase it upsets anyone... ps they know fine well what the repercussions are ,and i think they hope no one will bother saying or doing anything about it.
I would beg to differ. The host goes into the room and sets everything up ready for the next guest. They notice something missing (pillow, blanket, other large item), they have to go to the stores and report it missing to be able to get another one. They don't accuse anyone, they just have to get a new one and that's the process to follow.
I know you want to think badly of everyone on DCL, but the hosts get no benefit from reporting anyone or accusing anyone. They don't get a bonus, or a day off for it so why would you think they could 'get away with it'.
Of course it's a lot of money to have tied up, but starting legal proceedings and contacting cc companies etc could take just as much time as DCL will take to investigate.
All the OP has to do is write to DCL and stress how they would like it resolving quickly as they need the money. Keep pushing DCL would be my plan. If DCL say that the charge stands, that would be when I'd contact cc companies etc.