Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Sep 16, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Is this an OK price?

I'm kicking myself as I did think about booking a cruise for next year then we decided on California and now we're back to the cruise. Obviously the price is lowest when they're first on sale but what I'm wondering is if the price I'm looking at is really over the top or just a little bit more than it was when first released. I'm looking at 4 night cruise August 28th from port canaveral with deluxe family room with verandah for 2 adults and 3 children (ages 12,9 and 3) the price on deck 8 is £3406 and on decks 9 and 10 £3416.
Old 15 Sep 16, 06:30 AM  
Link to this Post
lass1308
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

There is a touring plan web site that tracks cruise prices from when they are released, if you want to compare. We added a cruise to a WDW trip well after release date and this web site told me how much more I was paying as a result.
lass1308 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 16, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jobelly View Post
I'm kicking myself as I did think about booking a cruise for next year then we decided on California and now we're back to the cruise. Obviously the price is lowest when they're first on sale but what I'm wondering is if the price I'm looking at is really over the top or just a little bit more than it was when first released. I'm looking at 4 night cruise August 28th from port canaveral with deluxe family room with verandah for 2 adults and 3 children (ages 12,9 and 3) the price on deck 8 is £3406 and on decks 9 and 10 £3416.
Have you checked the prices for the interconnecting rooms on Decks 1 and 2? You may not want to go that low, of course, but as a family of 5 we found our cruise was 40% cheaper by taking the I/C rooms - with the advantage of two bath rooms and two TVs/fridges. The I/C door was propped open the entire trip so just like one big room for us.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 16, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by lass1308 View Post
There is a touring plan web site that tracks cruise prices from when they are released, if you want to compare. We added a cruise to a WDW trip well after release date and this web site told me how much more I was paying as a result.
Thanks. Which website is it?
Old 15 Sep 16, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by Saloa View Post
Have you checked the prices for the interconnecting rooms on Decks 1 and 2? You may not want to go that low, of course, but as a family of 5 we found our cruise was 40% cheaper by taking the I/C rooms - with the advantage of two bath rooms and two TVs/fridges. The I/C door was propped open the entire trip so just like one big room for us.
This is exactly what we recommend to larger families as it often works out cheaper.
There are inside rooms on higher decks though, so if you don't fancy low decks, just choose a higher one.
Personally we love deck 1
Old 15 Sep 16, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Mobile

I've checked the price and it's coming out a few hundred higher for 2 ocean view cabins, not sure I could bear the idea of an inside one as would feel very claustrophobic!
Old 15 Sep 16, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by jobelly View Post
I've checked the price and it's coming out a few hundred higher for 2 ocean view cabins, not sure I could bear the idea of an inside one as would feel very claustrophobic!
It's a tough one as you're only cruising for 4 nights, so you really won't be in the room a lot. I would definitely say the rooms don't feel claustrophobic though (or at least not to me) - especially if you have 2!
The downsides to having 1 room are: No privacy, lack of space inc 1 bathroom, can't get to veranda without climbing over the bed (pain if you want late night or early morning and the person is sleeping in). Balcony is not big enough for more than 2 people to sit out on (2 chairs only).
Upsides are: Fresh air, natural daylight, less money in your case.

Only a decision you can make!
Old 15 Sep 16, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
It's a tough one as you're only cruising for 4 nights, so you really won't be in the room a lot. I would definitely say the rooms don't feel claustrophobic though (or at least not to me) - especially if you have 2!
The downsides to having 1 room are: No privacy, lack of space inc 1 bathroom, can't get to veranda without climbing over the bed (pain if you want late night or early morning and the person is sleeping in). Balcony is not big enough for more than 2 people to sit out on (2 chairs only).
Upsides are: Fresh air, natural daylight, less money in your case.

Only a decision you can make!
I was wondering Bats, I've been pricing direct with Disney but just read a trip report where someone booked through a US travel agent (dreams unlimited?) and got the same price but also a ship credit, is this a common way of booking and is it as safe as booking direct with Disney. The upside would be the onboard credit but I suppose downside would be the price would be in dollars so may fluctuate and may end up more expensive.
Old 19 Sep 16, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

I use a US TA (not Dreams) and have always been impressed by their service. Even down to receiving an email on the weekend just checking in with me to see if I had any questions even though cruise is a year away!
Old 19 Sep 16, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
I use a US TA (not Dreams) and have always been impressed by their service. Even down to receiving an email on the weekend just checking in with me to see if I had any questions even though cruise is a year away!
Thanks gismo, I've been trying to decide what to do and the appeal of the onboard credit is outweighed by the £$ risk I think. I like the idea of the price of the cruise dropping if the £ improves but all the long term forecasts seem to suggest the general opinion is the £ will drop further which could make the cruise quite a bit more expensive.