mrmoo123
Imagineer

Wow great start - subscribed!
Old 21 Sep 16, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Day 3

Another breakfast in the Riverside Mill food court. I had a cinnamon bun and an orange juice left over from yesterday. Sean had a bagel with cream cheese and used his mug for coffee.

Cost 2 snacks / $6.78

We followed this with a couple of lazy hours beside the pool before a heavy shower fell. We took cover at the Muddy Rivers pool bar, where I had a pina colada and Sean had a couple of beers. We also shared a bag of Cheetos. No receipt but I think the cost was about $27.

We didn’t have lunch as we had a 4pm ADR at Tiffins, another new restaurant we were very keen to try. As we had booked the Jungle Book dining package, we were entitled to three courses. I started with the bread service

While Sean had the grilled octopus.

This was followed by whole fried sustainable fish for me – today’s fish was yellow tail snapper - and Wagyu strip loin & braised short rib for Sean.

For dessert I had the sorbet tasting and Sean had lime cheesecake.

I had some sort of lemonade to drink, while Sean had a Kungaloosh beer.

Cost 4TS plus $8.75 for beer / $149.75

Tiffins is a fabulous restaurant. There are three themed dining rooms filled with works of art, which you are welcome to browse through at your leisure. The food was amazing, we had a lovely chat with the manager who came out to see what we thought about our meals and our server seemed both knowledgeable and friendly. Definitely the stand out meal of the holiday so far. However, when we came to check out of Riverside at the end of our stay, it did have the shine taken off a bit. We had left sufficient cash to cover both the cost of the beer and a tip which was a little over 20%. Now we discovered that the server must have taken all the cash for himself and charged the drink to the credit card linked to our magic bands! We tried to explain this to the CM at check out but she said that as we agreed we had the beer, she had to charge for it. For the sake of less than $10 we weren’t going to put up a fight but as I said, it did take the shine off a little and we learned a valuable lesson.

We spent the rest of the evening at Animal Kingdom, which was open until 11pm. The safari at dusk was a very different experience. There were less animals visible but those we did see were much more active. It was great to watch the male lion come down from his rock.

It was the only other opportunity of the holiday we would have, so we shared a cheeky late night dole whip from Tamu Tamu Refreshments, despite being stuffed from all the food at Tiffins, plus a nice big iced water as it was so hot and humid.

Cost 1 snack / $4.19

Edited at 10:40 PM.
hornetgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 16, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

Wow keeping hearing good things about Tiffins... and that fish!
Old 21 Sep 16, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mrmoo123 View Post
Wow keeping hearing good things about Tiffins... and that fish!
That fish was simply amazing, I've never eaten anything like it. Delicious!
Old 22 Sep 16, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Day 4

No breakfast today as we had a 10:30 ADR for Sunday Brunch at the California Grill – another one we were really looking forward to.

This was a very relaxed, unhurried and leisurely affair. On arrival we were offered bottomless mimosas.

Once we were settled at the table, our server arrived and explained how the brunch works. Basically it’s in two parts. Firstly you can visit the buffet stations as often as you like, then you order from the entrée menu and let your server know when you’re ready for it. Unlimited tea and coffee was also included.

Whilst we looked at the menu, a selection of bakery goods arrived:

These were some of the buffet stations:

And these were our selections:

For my entrée I had the grilled hanger steak

This was tasty but not quite as tender as it might have been. The nearest cut I can liken it to is beef skirt, which I think benefits from longer cooking rather than grilling.

Sean had the shrimp and grits, which he loved.

To round off the meal we were presented with a plate of little “sweet endings”

At the check in desk we had been asked whether we were celebrating anything so we mentioned that it was our wedding anniversary at the end of the month. This was duly acknowledged with a little chocolate plaque.

Cost 4TS / $160 (I think). Valet parking is also included in the cost if required.

This was a fabulous meal. We had dinner here on our last trip and although the food was excellent, we found the atmosphere somewhat lacking for an evening meal. For brunch it was absolutely perfect. The service was impeccable and the musician performing Smells Like Teen Spirit lounge style was something else. We also had a very entertaining conversation with the couple at the next table, ranging from the merits of DVC ownership to what will happen if Trump becomes president. We wouldn’t hesitate to have brunch here again and recommend it highly.

In the evening we really weren’t capable of eating another full meal, so we went to investigate what was on offer in the Riverside Mill food court at this time of day. Eventually we settled on a fish basket which came with fries and coleslaw. We swapped the dessert for some savoury nibbles, used our mugs for drinks and got two bottles of water for later use.

There were three reasonable sized pieces of fish, which was plenty between the two of us.

Cost 1QS / $18.98

Edited at 02:25 PM.
hornetgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 16, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Oh wow! Brunch at Cali Grill looks amazing, that muffin in the bakery items though

Great food report, looking forward to the rest!
Old 22 Sep 16, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Brunch looks delicious. Didn't realise this was an option. We loved dinner there last year so may have to check this out!

Mrs P
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 16, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Wow so many great meals

We have an adr for the brunch looks fabulous. Can I ask how you eat the fish at Tiffins, I assume cut it open and eat inside and leave the skin. It looks amazing but I wouldn't know how to tackle it.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 16, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Wow so many great meals

We have an adr for the brunch looks fabulous. Can I ask how you eat the fish at Tiffins, I assume cut it open and eat inside and leave the skin. It looks amazing but I wouldn't know how to tackle it.
I wasn't too sure either. It stayed upright while I ate it, so I just did one side first then turned the plate round for the other side. I ate the skin too, it was delicious, very crispy and salted. No idea whether that was what I was meant to do, but it was lovely.
Old 22 Sep 16, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Brunch looks delicious. Didn't realise this was an option. We loved dinner there last year so may have to check this out!

Mrs P
I think they only do it on Sundays. Definitely do it if you get the chance, you won't be sorry.

Edited at 10:47 PM.