Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 1 Oct 16, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Loving the photos from Bradenton - we are staying there next year so will give the Cortez cafe a try!
It isn't much to look at from outside but is well worth a visit. It doesn't seem to have a website but I found this description on mapquest:

"More than just a restaurant, the Cortez Cafe is a morning ritual for many members of the Bradenton community since 1980. It is a locally owned family business, and it is the perfect way to start a day at the beach or out fishing. It offers bountiful, traditional breakfasts and lunches and is the best food for miles."
Old 2 Oct 16, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Dogwalker
VIP Dibber

Really enjoying your reviews 😀
Dogwalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 16, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sameeel
VIP Dibber

Great report...
And you have given me a little idea
We have flights for next August 24nights but have said no Disney... But maybe a few nights if booked US site might work was it easy to book that way?
Old 2 Oct 16, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sameeel View Post
Great report...
And you have given me a little idea
We have flights for next August 24nights but have said no Disney... But maybe a few nights if booked US site might work was it easy to book that way?
It's no different to booking via the UK site. The only risk you take is that because the booking is made in dollars, there is the chance that exchange rates could move against you. On the plus side, you get QSDP at value resorts and DDP at moderate resorts. I'm not sure whether there is a requirement to stay a minimum number of nights but you only need to book two days worth of park tickets with either the park hopper or the water park option to qualify for free dining. We thought it was well worth doing.
Old 4 Oct 16, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
sameeel
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
It's no different to booking via the UK site. The only risk you take is that because the booking is made in dollars, there is the chance that exchange rates could move against you. On the plus side, you get QSDP at value resorts and DDP at moderate resorts. I'm not sure whether there is a requirement to stay a minimum number of nights but you only need to book two days worth of park tickets with either the park hopper or the water park option to qualify for free dining. We thought it was well worth doing.
Thank you... For some reason I couldn't get onto the us site do you possibly have a link for it?

Looking forward to more of your report
Old 4 Oct 16, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sameeel View Post
Thank you... For some reason I couldn't get onto the us site do you possibly have a link for it?

Looking forward to more of your report
You just need to go to the normal Disney site. On the landing page it will say English (UK & Ireland) in the top right hand corner. Click on that and several options will come up. Click the one which says English (USA) and you will be on the US site

Only one more day of the report to go I'm afraid, it was only a shortish trip. Thanks for reading along.
Old 5 Oct 16, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Day 9

All too quickly our last day had arrived. Wanting to make the most of it, we decided on an early breakfast. It was another beautiful day, so we chose the Gulf Drive Café, which was right on the beach. I had a bowl of yogurt, fruit and granola - similar to yesterday's but bigger - plus an orange juice.

Sean had a bagel with a side order of bacon and a coffee.

This proved to be a great location, as we were treated to a display of dolphins leaping and playing just out to sea right in front of us.

As we had to leave AMI just after midday in order to get back to the airport, we decided to have ice cream at Joe's for "lunch."

I can't recall the exact name of mine, but it was a pineapple and coconut based flavour.

Sean had a chocolate cone.

After hugs all round, we left Jaye and John on the beach as they had another two nights on AMI and headed back to Orlando. We had an easy journey but security took forever. Once through we headed to the Club lounge. We had free access with our Club World seats but I think it would be worth paying for as it was one of the nicest lounges I've used in the US.
There was a good selection of alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, coffees etc. I had a Di Saronno and Sean had a Budweiser. The food offering was also good - various sandwiches, two soups, cheese and biscuits, olives, crudites, hummus, fruit, crisps etc - and a big jar of jelly beans

I ate plenty as I intended to sleep as much as possible on the flight home.
Sean opted to have dinner first. He started with crab cake and asparagus, which arrived with a side salad and bread roll.

His main course was pan roasted fillet of Midwest beef, served with creamy spinach risotto and roasted baby vegetables.

The other options were pecan-crusted haddock, four cheese ravioli or a chilled antipasti salad.

There is no photo of a dessert and he doesn't recall having one, although the menu lists cheesecake, cheese and biscuits or fruit.

We were woken for breakfast about 90 minutes before landing. The menu suggests that smoothies and Special K should have been available, but we were just presented with fruit plates and juice.

Pastries were offered from a basket. Sean's croissant was good but my cinnamon whirl was dry and hard - and tiny. The fruit was lovely though. This was followed by bacon rolls but neither of us had these as we were too tired and wanted to get a bit more sleep.

All too soon the tyres were on the tarmac and we were home.

Edited at 03:54 PM.
hornetgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Some final thoughts

This was the third time we'd had the DDP and we definitely prefer it to the QSDP. Both offer plenty of food, but we very much enjoy the opportunity to visit restaurants we might not otherwise get to experience. For us, too many of the QSDP places have paper plates and plastic cutlery (I know there are a few exceptions) - ok for lunch but not for every meal - in our old age we prefer a bit of china and metal now and again.

Travelling Club World is still a lovely experience, but I don't think it's quite as good as it used to be. BA have been nibbling away at the edges for a while now and it's starting to show. This was our first CW flight to Orlando, so maybe they don't try so hard as it's a bit of a bucket and spade route, or maybe it's all down to cutbacks.

Our last trip was all DDP. This one was a bit of offsite as well. It was a good reminder that there is lots of other lovely food to be had in Florida outside of Disney. Our next trip is going to be a no dining plan, all budget affair, so will have a very different focus.

My final final thought is exactly the same as last time - we have to return because we have STILL never eaten Funnel Cake

Thanks for reading everyone, hope it's been useful.
Old 5 Oct 16, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Thanks for posting, we're looking forward to trying CG brunch next year.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sameeel
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
You just need to go to the normal Disney site. On the landing page it will say English (UK & Ireland) in the top right hand corner. Click on that and several options will come up. Click the one which says English (USA) and you will be on the US site

Only one more day of the report to go I'm afraid, it was only a shortish trip. Thanks for reading along.
Oh that's great found it
Now to wait for dining offers for next August
Thankyou