Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 27 Nov 16, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Miss_Tangled
Apprentice Imagineer

I've only seen Tim Tracker's vlog and it looked pretty good. Something like that is always going to look better in the moment, I think depth perception of being there helps
* Tarpon Springs '07 * New York '07 * Hampton Lakes '09 * Mission Park March '11 * Four Corners Sep '11 * Dream Castle DLP December '12 * Florida Pines '14 & Grand Floridian Everglades Suite! * New York City...Surprise 30th December '14 * Lindfields & Grand Floridian September '15 * 1st trip with our little lady! WDW September '17 * DLP February ‘18 * 3 wks POR September '19 *
Miss_Tangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 16, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by jclutton View Post
Just watched it too, its the same as the one they posted on You-tube, two quick clips of the tree and bird but none of the rest of the 5 minute show of twinkly random shaped lights. I would have thought a company the size of Disney would have done a bit more work on the show before it premiered. They have the Osborne lights in mothballs at the moment why couldn't they just have them there until they finish the building site that MGM has become?
Surely it's in a testing phase? I don't think it's the finished product yet.
Also it's a freebie for those at SSR and Disney Springs
I thought it was good.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 16, 05:00 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Agree with Tom we watched outside Starbucks by the tethered balloon. It is work in progress only hope it doesn't progress too quickly and replace Wishes
Old 28 Nov 16, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I'm looking forward to this and hope it's still going on when we go next! I've watched it on You Tube and thought it looked quite good but that said I'm a Brit whose easily pleased, even more so when it's free!

Kat 😄
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 16, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I'm afraid that you are not appreciating the sheer technical challenges in performing this. This has never been done anywhere else in the world. To have 300 drones flying in the same area without any collisions is a challenge in itself, without having to form them into shapes etc.. even the setting up on the ground, to have every drone charged, and placed exactly on its takeoff point to allow the programme to continue, let alone the computer programming to control all these, is an amazing achievement.
Each to their own of course, but as one who is involved in a small commercial drone business, it is mind blowing (well beyond our capabilities, although we have worked with television and property companies).
It may not show well on a you tube video, I'm sure you thoughts would be more positive when you see it live. I must admit that the video does not give a great perspective, but I'm watching on a tablet. I'd love to see this live.

My prediction,within 10 years, fireworks shows will be a thing of the past and drone shows will be the norm. Remember this is a first time ever show, things will improve quickly as technology advances.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 16, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
PPM. Well said. I assume they are actually over the water as opposed to land in case of a malfunction?

I agree with you ref firewroks going, and I think it will be a lot less than 10 years time. One has to admire their technical skills, really pushing the boundaries

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 16, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
tink66
Apprentice Imagineer

We saw it at Disney Springs last week and, although only being the second time of showing, it was absolutely fantastic! We couldn't make out initially what it was but one of cast members explained it to us. It took over 300 programmed drones to perform along with the Xmas music. Does need a little more finishing but we thought it was really special!
tink66 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 16, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Deadlinesman
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Is this on every night down at DS?
Deadlinesman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 16, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 16, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

I can understand the technical skills and effort it may require, but as a entertainment show it lacks any wow factor, a 5 minute show with only 1 clear and 1 vaguely recognizable shapes isn't something I would bother watching. There has been rumours of a drone show for quite a while now and so they should have had the finer details worked out by now and it should not be a work in progress, it should be revealed as a finished product. Can you imagine the reaction if they did replace wishes with a bunch of twinkly lights set to music? After the successes Disney have had with Wishes, Illuminations and the star wars fireworks that have just finished in MGM they should be improving and innovating on things, not providing a lack luster show. Again I think they would have been better off bringing the Osborne family lights to Disney springs.
jclutton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread